Monk on Sky

On 07/04/2021 at 11:48, parajack said:

Being mischievous mate,is all....according to the GM is the devil brigade,he had full say in transfers....'they dont like it up em' Capt Mannering

Paterson is technically poor and should only really ever be a squad player at this level. Windass is decent but has poor decision making and temperament. 

Monk singed some absolute dross. 

• Like 1

Did he mention how he decided to put Dawson as his number 1 keeper and give him a new 4 year contract? 

Or give joey another contract? 

Or why he thought Adam Reach was a striker? 

Or how he took us from 3rd to 6 points above relegation 

Or how much he pocketed from player signings 

Bet that slipped his mind 

On 08/04/2021 at 22:01, Spondon Owl said:

Paterson is technically poor and should only really ever be a squad player at this level. Windass is decent but has poor decision making and temperament. 

Monk singed some absolute dross. 

Thats a mischarecterisation of out top scorer mate,and until recently Scotland International, Windass i agree on,but that is what Coaching is for..

• Like 1

On 08/04/2021 at 23:10, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

Suck on that. You will never in a million years be able to create a performance like the one you just witnessed. Pissed on your fire somewhat eh ! 

Except he has before,but never mind

• Like 1

On 08/04/2021 at 17:52, Bluesteel said:

It’s the same situation, it’s easy to see the parallels. He refers to it happening again under Monk. The divide and conquer approach hasn’t paid off when two different managers tried it.

What cos one ex player allegedly says so? I dont think so,that dressing room must have allegedly reeked of 'player power' for both Jos and Monk to come to the same conclusion.

Two completely different types of managers,,same conclusion....

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Sticky Micky said:

Did he mention how he decided to put Dawson as his number 1 keeper and give him a new 4 year contract? 

Or give joey another contract? 

Or why he thought Adam Reach was a striker? 

Or how he took us from 3rd to 6 points above relegation 

Or how much he pocketed from player signings 

Bet that slipped his mind 

What like the 12 point deduction,player embargo,Covid 19 lay off, players refusing to sign extensions  slipped your mind?...**** me...it never ends..

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, parajack said:

What cos one ex player allegedly says so? I dont think so,that dressing room must have allegedly reeked of 'player power' for both Jos and Monk to come to the same conclusion.

Two completely different types of managers,,same conclusion....

If a manager finds a dressing room reeks of player power and relegated a number of them to the u23s because he couldn’t deal with it and it fragmented the squad. Then that backs up everything I’ve just said.

9 hours ago, Bluesteel said:

esaid.

Doesnt back up anything,it was dealt with,in the time honoured way of the industry,not just the Owls managers who relegate players to the under 23s is it? cant sack them,they are under contract,hard to 'fine' them,because of allegedly PFA, and in any case how do you sanction Millionaires? can only hit their pride...

Even the greatest football managers use this tactic,

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, parajack said:

Doesnt back up anything,it was dealt with,in the time honoured way of the industry,not just the Owls managers who relegate players to the under 23s is it? cant sack them,they are under contract,hard to 'fine' them,because of allegedly PFA, and in any case how do you sanction Millionaires? can only hit their pride...

Even the greatest football managers use this tactic,

At the end of the day, dress it up how you like. Whether it’s Monk, Luhukay or a manager elsewhere. If you put your senior players in the reserves for whatever reason (justified or not) and the team starts to bomb, then you’re not doing a great job and probably not the right kind of manager for the team at that time. Or at least the short term.

I appreciate Monk and Luhukay both looked long term to their credit and perhaps to their own expense. But to go from 3rd to where we ended up with capitulations at home to Derby, away at Brentford etc and the points deduction rolling over to avoid relegating us at that time has had a huge impact on the last 18 months including recruitment last summer. To say there is no role in that from the manager involved, even if the actual charge and deduction is nothing to do with them, just isn’t true. It’s been a cluster of disasters and bad decision making.

His general track record as a manager isn’t very good. The fact that 2 clubs with his fingerprints all over them are embroiled in this season’s championship relegation battle says it all. Be very surprised if he gets another job in this country TBH.

Guest LondonOwl313
2 hours ago, Bluesteel said:

At the end of the day, dress it up how you like. Whether it’s Monk, Luhukay or a manager elsewhere. If you put your senior players in the reserves for whatever reason (justified or not) and the team starts to bomb, then you’re not doing a great job and probably not the right kind of manager for the team at that time. Or at least the short term.

I appreciate Monk and Luhukay both looked long term to their credit and perhaps to their own expense. But to go from 3rd to where we ended up with capitulations at home to Derby, away at Brentford etc and the points deduction rolling over to avoid relegating us at that time has had a huge impact on the last 18 months including recruitment last summer. To say there is no role in that from the manager involved, even if the actual charge and deduction is nothing to do with them, just isn’t true. It’s been a cluster of disasters and bad decision making.

Thing is it’s ok having an objective of freshening up the squad and bringing in younger players, but it still has to be on merit though. Everyone could see that Dawson and Wildsmith were never going to be close to Westwood’s class.. they had a few fanboys on here probably because they’re local lads, but was obvious to any neutral observer. The right course of action is to identify a younger keeper who is better than Westwood, bring him in and let him force Westwood out the team.. then allow Westwood to leave. Unfortunately for us given DC has withdrawn financing for new quality players since 2017 we’re unable to do that so then we’re stuck with an ageing Westwood. But to just ditch him when you have no adequate replacement is just bad management.

Luhukay was even worse in that respect as he picked younger players who were clearly not up to the level required so there was no point in blooding them. When young players come through they should take their chance and we shouldn’t be making allowances for them. If they good enough they will make it. Someone like Urgohide is taking his chance and we’ve not having to say things like ‘he’s still young need to give him time’. That’s the right way for young players to come in to the team

13 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

Got Monk again today in the Sky studio 

I suppose it’s fair enough as he is perfectly qualified to comment on Wednesday but I find him such a charisma free zone he certainly doesn’t add much to my matchday experience. I’d really like to have Pulis on to watch us hammer QPR with free flowing attacking football!

28 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Thing is it’s ok having an objective of freshening up the squad and bringing in younger players, but it still has to be on merit though. Everyone could see that Dawson and Wildsmith were never going to be close to Westwood’s class.. they had a few fanboys on here probably because they’re local lads, but was obvious to any neutral observer. The right course of action is to identify a younger keeper who is better than Westwood, bring him in and let him force Westwood out the team.. then allow Westwood to leave. Unfortunately for us given DC has withdrawn financing for new quality players since 2017 we’re unable to do that so then we’re stuck with an ageing Westwood. But to just ditch him when you have no adequate replacement is just bad management.

Luhukay was even worse in that respect as he picked younger players who were clearly not up to the level required so there was no point in blooding them. When young players come through they should take their chance and we shouldn’t be making allowances for them. If they good enough they will make it. Someone like Urgohide is taking his chance and we’ve not having to say things like ‘he’s still young need to give him time’. That’s the right way for young players to come in to the team

I don’t mind them giving the younger players a go as the question on some of them needed answering and we had an ageing squad. It’s just the act of completely freezing players out which hasn’t worked and it looks worse when these players come back and look like they can still help. 

Dave Jones did it too and one of the key things players talked about when Gray took over was that he just made sure everyone felt involved and had a chance. I think the same has already been said about Moore.

Guest whowantstoberich
2 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

he certainly doesn’t add much to my matchday experience. 

Apart from stress!