Monk on Sky

24 minutes ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

Monk just felt like the wrong bloke in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I don't think he's a bad manager nor a particularly good one and I don't harbour any bitterness towards him, I find the amount of hate he gets weird but then again I can't understand why Carlos gets so much flak either.

I agree about Monk,like you I was ambivalent toward him,I just saw  him as a middle of the road man,in truth every manager thats followed CC has been hampered by spendageddon,monks joined at a time when the squad was shorn of quality and recruitment overshadowed by the madness of 2016,a perceived 12 point defecit and an owner trying to balance the books against a background of financial chaos.The club is most definitely downsizing,but more by design than any realisation or will.

CC was part of that spendageddon, his inclination not to play or want loan players may well have shaped that ill fated overspend,who can say,but I think in some fans minds they see him as part of todays problems,although most of us recognise the true culprit was the purse holder

• Like 1

On 05/04/2021 at 20:24, darra said:

Just found tweet if the day 😆 

How the hell can Monk be giving his opinion on our game! It’s like Harold Shipman being on the GP medical council! fizz me 😡🙈 #swfc

He is our most recent ex manager with any time in mate,knows the players,Club, and most of all the Chairman and his 'advisors' who is better qualified?..(in recent times?)

On 06/04/2021 at 18:23, victorturner said:

All Moore needed to do starting with Rotherham was to play our only striker Rhodes ( he didn't to start with) , order a wide player to supply crosses, with balls from midfield played to the wings rather than booting it downfield, play two upfront so Rhodes had support and drop any fetish about playing out from the back.

Instead we had a 3-2-3-1-1 ( I think) system tried out midseason , without Rhodes, with Windass moved to the left , and nervous defenders trying to play it out from the back.

To be fair, Moore seems to have seen the light and picked Rhodes who is our main hope of scoring. 

This...

7 hours ago, whowantstoberich said:

Yes makes perfect sense, most experienced and knowledgeable players will stand up to incompetence if they feel they will get away with it.

The problem is if they don't have faith in the manager this happens. 

If the manager has experience and a bit of clout about him, they wouldn't dare challenge him. Happens in all industries not just football.

Ime going to speculate here you havnt managed,care to put me right?

Guest whowantstoberich
8 hours ago, parajack said:

Ime going to speculate here you havnt managed,care to put me right?

Yes I have, not quite sure how my career is relevant to this conversation though.

On 06/04/2021 at 06:13, swfcGibbo said:

My main issue with Monk was he seemed hell bent not to play Rhodes.

I've mentioned this previously but we looked good with Rhodes & Windass up front for the first 3 or so games. I believe we beat Cardiff and got a good point against Watford. He then started chopping and changing trying to implement the new signings and things didn't seem to click as well. Rhodes then suddenly became 5th choice striker and was largely not used after that with Monk in charge.

I just didn't get it. The first game against Cardiff we were similar to what we were today (just more of an away performance). He then shifted the approach to more of a hard working but less effective unit with Kachunga, Patterson and then Jack Marriott who was shoe horned into the team.

But let's be real the primary issues this season from a management perspective have been the Pulis era. Absolute disaster from start to finish. This is far beyond the managers though and mostly to do with the man upstairs.

Totally agree with your point about JR. 
Seemed hell bent on not playing him and paid the price with his job ultimately because I think he would have scored the goals to keep us up. 
The Pulis era was a strange one and tbh I’ve tried to erase it from my memory. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, whowantstoberich said:

Yes I have, not quite sure how my career is relevant to this conversation though.

Sorry if that came across as personal,but those with management experience know and recognize the signs....of alleged problem people..thats all i am saying..

58 minutes ago, edwinowl said:

Totally agree with your point about JR. 
Seemed hell bent on not playing him and paid the price with his job ultimately because I think he would have scored the goals to keep us up. 
The Pulis era was a strange one and tbh I’ve tried to erase it from my memory. 

How many managers choose not to play JR,including initially DM?  When will the penny drop? YES JR is scoring goals at the moment,  and in fact looks a threat...but why now?...coming to the end of his contract,and wanting another Championship Club? approaching a Championship goal scoring 'record' who knows?...

Are we to believe that multiple professional football managers who refused to pick him ALL got it wrong??   2 managers now,and a stand in manager,since GM left, multiple matchs and chances to pull away from relegation wasted,but its still his fault

36 minutes ago, parajack said:

How many managers choose not to play JR,including initially DM?  When will the penny drop? YES JR is scoring goals at the moment,  and in fact looks a threat...but why now?...coming to the end of his contract,and wanting another Championship Club? approaching a Championship goal scoring 'record' who knows?...

Are we to believe that multiple professional football managers who refused to pick him ALL got it wrong??   2 managers now,and a stand in manager,since GM left, multiple matchs and chances to pull away from relegation wasted,but its still his fault

Indeed they did. And paid the price. 
Been doing splendidly haven’t we?? 
DM was always playing JR and said so when he came. 
Let’s play anyone up front shall we instead of a proper forward. AND it’s not just about goals but movement and bringing others in. 
But hey you crack on with your thoughts. 

8 minutes ago, edwinowl said:

Indeed they did. And paid the price. 
Been doing splendidly haven’t we?? 
DM was always playing JR and said so when he came. 
Let’s play anyone up front shall we instead of a proper forward. AND it’s not just about goals but movement and bringing others in. 
But hey you crack on with your thoughts. 

DM did not play JR fact,,when he could so easily could have done,nor did he pick a systym that would have favoured him...on current form JR deserves a place in a 2 up front, we only disagree on why his 'form' has suddenly sparked up.....previous managers were not let go,for not picking JR...

Edited by parajack

1 minute ago, parajack said:

DM did not play JR fact,,when he could so easily could have done,nor did he pick a systym that would have favoured him...on current form JR deserves a place in a 2 up front, we only disagree on why his 'form' has suddenly sparked up.....previous managers were not let go,for not picking JR...

DM has been here 5 minutes mate. 
He’s found a way to get the best out of what will be the championships top goal scorer. 
That’s what DM is paid for and that’s what JR is also paid to do. 
Previous managers were let go because they didn’t get results and if you hadn’t noticed we weren’t scoring many goals either. 

55 minutes ago, edwinowl said:

DM has been here 5 minutes mate. 
He’s found a way to get the best out of what will be the championships top goal scorer. 
That’s what DM is paid for and that’s what JR is also paid to do. 
Previous managers were let go because they didn’t get results and if you hadn’t noticed we weren’t scoring many goals either. 

Cant expect Patterson and Windass to be  strikers mate,hence low goal count,plus they both need way more chances to convert to a goal,than a traditional striker...Playing with a new systym and lone striker up front,playing out from the back,is hardly going to improve that is it? JR wont be here next season,and thats overall top scorer,not this season, thats CP ON 8 GOALs..JR  and JW both on 7 apiece....even Reach on a poor season(in my view) has 6 goals,so lets keep perspective...

15 minutes ago, parajack said:

He doesnt say that though mate does he,mostly Jos and a couple of comments about GM,

It’s the same situation, it’s easy to see the parallels. He refers to it happening again under Monk. The divide and conquer approach hasn’t paid off when two different managers tried it.

23 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

He got sacked though 

Ages ago

We have got worse since he was sacked

We were picking up more points under Monk than any manager since 

if the same form from 26th dec until he was sacked continued for season we would have gone down , sacking him and getting pulis though that has sent this club down ,i dont know anyone who wanted pulis . i cant stand the man ,he would send every football supporter away to do something else at 3pm on a saturday. 

• Love 1

16 minutes ago, morganowl said:

if the same form from 26th dec until he was sacked continued for season we would have gone down , sacking him and getting pulis though that has sent this club down ,i dont know anyone who wanted pulis . i cant stand the man ,he would send every football supporter away to do something else at 3pm on a saturday. 

So true!

lol

Owlstalk Shop