Monk on Sky

My main issue with Monk was he seemed hell bent not to play Rhodes.

I've mentioned this previously but we looked good with Rhodes & Windass up front for the first 3 or so games. I believe we beat Cardiff and got a good point against Watford. He then started chopping and changing trying to implement the new signings and things didn't seem to click as well. Rhodes then suddenly became 5th choice striker and was largely not used after that with Monk in charge.

I just didn't get it. The first game against Cardiff we were similar to what we were today (just more of an away performance). He then shifted the approach to more of a hard working but less effective unit with Kachunga, Patterson and then Jack Marriott who was shoe horned into the team.

But let's be real the primary issues this season from a management perspective have been the Pulis era. Absolute disaster from start to finish. This is far beyond the managers though and mostly to do with the man upstairs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, OwlBiSeeinThi said:

Pray tell what our system was before?

As far as I could tell it was panic, hoof, give it away, concede.

All Moore needed to do starting with Rotherham was to play our only striker Rhodes ( he didn't to start with) , order a wide player to supply crosses, with balls from midfield played to the wings rather than booting it downfield, play two upfront so Rhodes had support and drop any fetish about playing out from the back.

Instead we had a 3-2-3-1-1 ( I think) system tried out midseason , without Rhodes, with Windass moved to the left , and nervous defenders trying to play it out from the back.

To be fair, Moore seems to have seen the light and picked Rhodes who is our main hope of scoring. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, swfcGibbo said:

I've mentioned this previously but we looked good with Rhodes & Windass up front for the first 3 or so games. I believe we beat Cardiff and got a good point against Watford. He then started chopping and changing trying to implement the new signings and things didn't seem to click as well. Rhodes then suddenly became 5th choice striker and was largely not used after that with Monk in charge.

I just didn't get it. The first game against Cardiff we were similar to what we were today (just more of an away performance). He then shifted the approach to more of a hard working but less effective unit with Kachunga, Patterson and then Jack Marriott who was shoe horned into the team.

But let's be real the primary issues this season from a management perspective have been the Pulis era. Absolute disaster from start to finish. This is far beyond the managers though and mostly to do with the man upstairs.

Yes. And  it was the misunderstanding between DC and Pulis which cost us, partly was partly  Pulis's  job to know what would be allowed in January. Instead, we had the farce in early December of Pulis trying to ring or meet with DC while writing off many of his players.

21 hours ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Because both lack charisma, both are introverts, both tried to lead by authority rather than man management. Both were tactically inept. Experienced, senior players will call  B.S. like playing without a striker at Millwall or changing formation and personnel every week in fear of the opposition. Good managers will utilise those strong voices not banish them. 

Given the 12 injured players, not sure Jos had much choice at Millwall..and we took the lead there!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

He was always right about the club from the doubts he had before he signed, to the points he has made after he's left

i agree. People blaming Monk for the mess we are in are crazy. It’s time various managers stopped getting the blame, there is only one man from which this embarrassing mess we are in stems from. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, victorturner said:

Given the 12 injured players, not sure Jos had much choice at Millwall..and we took the lead there!

He had Nuhiu and Joao on the bench so he had a couple of choices and we lost. The question I answered was why did Luhukay and Monk ostracise Hutchinson and Westwood. I maintain they were both weak managers and weak personalities who couldn’t handle criticism from senior pros. What do you think?

54 minutes ago, victorturner said:

All Moore needed to do starting with Rotherham was to play our only striker Rhodes ( he didn't to start with) , order a wide player to supply crosses, with balls from midfield played to the wings rather than booting it downfield, play two upfront so Rhodes had support and drop any fetish about playing out from the back.

Instead we had a 3-2-3-1-1 ( I think) system tried out midseason , without Rhodes, with Windass moved to the left , and nervous defenders trying to play it out from the back.

To be fair, Moore seems to have seen the light and picked Rhodes who is our main hope of scoring. 

Considering the bloke had been at the club for 48 hours when we played Rotherham I think it's a little harsh to criticise the man.

We have the right man in the job. It's just he arrived 6 weeks too late.

• Like 1

Guest LondonOwl313
19 hours ago, Everywhere & nowhere said:

That’s not related to contracts and recruitment though? Do you also believe completely that Chansiri has never influenced selection?

I can’t see much evidence that he’s ever actually picked the team. The managers appear to have been free to pick who they want. I mean he must have been paying Westwood and Hutchinson about 40 grand a week between them yet did nothing when two managers told these expensive assets to just stay at home. That doesn’t look like a chairman leaning on the manager to play certain players

Out of all the things we criticise him for it’s mainly the reliance on advisors and their recruitment that’s the biggest issue

On 05/04/2021 at 17:20, Spondon Owl said:

Played a huge part in our troubles. 

We had a 12 point defect - not Monks fault.

We were an unappealing prospect to sign for - largely due to the above, again, not Monks fault.

Yes Monk was hardly Sit Alex Ferguson but he was working in a very difficult environment for a Chairman who is literally clueless.

If we go down by 6 point or less which looks increasingly likely, the blame falls squarely on the Chairman and those who have been advising him.

Stip simply blaming Monk and look at the wider picture.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Earlsfieldowl said:

We were an unappealing prospect to sign for - largely due to the above, again, not Monks fault.

Yes Monk was hardly Sit Alex Ferguson but he was working in a very difficult environment for a Chairman who is literally clueless.

If we go down by 6 point or less which looks increasingly likely, the blame falls squarely on the Chairman and those who have been advising him.

You nor I have a view of what went on against transfers but Monk said at the time he made the decisions. Therefore while he isn't singularly to blame, agreed, he did play a significant part in assembling a pretty abject squad 

11 minutes ago, Earlsfieldowl said:

He is part of the picture in that we could’ve had -12 last season had we done well enough post Christmas. But other than that he’s been caught in the maelstrom here 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Spondon Owl said:

You nor I have a view of what went on against transfers but Monk said at the time he made the decisions. Therefore while he isn't singularly to blame, agreed, he did play a significant part in assembling a pretty abject squad 

He may have chosen the signings and thus rightly take responsibility,  but I doubt the options were particularly wide considering our predicament.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, swfcGibbo said:

It’s not completely on Pulis though is it. Every manager in charge has had a nightmare run of games which all together leave us where we are.

Monk losing 3 in a row to Rotherham, Luton and Wycombe.

Thompson/Moore losing 7 in a row.

Pulis 1 win in 10.

All horrific runs. I don’t buy this idea that it was Pulis run that cost us. In my opinion the games we lost under Thompson/Moore to Coventry, Brum, Rotherham, Luton will prove incredibly costly. Particularly considering they’re our direct competition in the fight for survival.

• Like 1