Monk on Sky

6 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

He is part of the picture in that we could’ve had -12 last season had we done well enough post Christmas. But other than that he’s been caught in the maelstrom here 

Irrelevant. Either way it was a points deduction looming that was completely out of his hands. Regardless of what season it was in.

It clearly affected performances last season and this season. All down to the chairman. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Irrelevant. Either way it was a points deduction looming that was completely out of his hands. Regardless of what season it was in.

It clearly affected performances last season and this season. All down to the chairman. 

It’s not irrelevant. He managed the situation poorly and that’s coming from someone who liked him elsewhere and really wanted him to come here as manager. We got some decent results despite the charge announced in November including a 4 nil demolition of forest and then winning against Bristol C to go third despite all this and he was rightly applauded. 

Then the Stoke game happened and we capitulated on many occasions for the rest of the season. To have expected promotion or playoffs would be unrealistic but that run was absolutely abysmal prior to the covid pause and has played a part in forming the landscape of this season.

On 05/04/2021 at 17:23, Spondon Owl said:

I'm awaiting the arrival of Monks fans defending him to the hilt.

Waste of time and breath........anyone who cant see no manager could have dealt with the SWFC 'issues' is not being realistic....he just happened  to be in the chair.....who was it brought in Windass and Patterson again? 2 of the players who have been scoring goals??

• Like 3
  • Love 1

16 hours ago, swfcGibbo said:

My main issue with Monk was he seemed hell bent not to play Rhodes.

I've mentioned this previously but we looked good with Rhodes & Windass up front for the first 3 or so games. I believe we beat Cardiff and got a good point against Watford. He then started chopping and changing trying to implement the new signings and things didn't seem to click as well. Rhodes then suddenly became 5th choice striker and was largely not used after that with Monk in charge.

I just didn't get it. The first game against Cardiff we were similar to what we were today (just more of an away performance). He then shifted the approach to more of a hard working but less effective unit with Kachunga, Patterson and then Jack Marriott who was shoe horned into the team.

But let's be real the primary issues this season from a management perspective have been the Pulis era. Absolute disaster from start to finish. This is far beyond the managers though and mostly to do with the man upstairs.

Based on Rhodes’s goal record here and return on investment in general up to that point I can totally understand his reluctance.

Pulis was a disaster but we were a terrible choice for him as we don’t have the players or mentality to play his style of football - it was always doomed to fail - another stinker in a consistently long line of them from our Chairman.

• Like 1

Guest whowantstoberich
11 hours ago, parajack said:

.who was it brought in Windass and Patterson again? 2 of the players who have been scoring goals??

Well make your bloody minds up. Usually it’s ‘monk had nothing to do with the signings’ 🤣🤣🤣

1 hour ago, whowantstoberich said:

Well make your bloody minds up. Usually it’s ‘monk had nothing to do with the signings’ 🤣🤣🤣

Being mischievous mate,is all....according to the GM is the devil brigade,he had full say in transfers....'they dont like it up em' Capt Mannering

• Like 2

13 hours ago, parajack said:

Waste of time and breath........anyone who cant see no manager could have dealt with the SWFC 'issues' is not being realistic....he just happened  to be in the chair.....who was it brought in Windass and Patterson again? 2 of the players who have been scoring goals??

Bruce was an example of someone with man management ability who got those misfits from Luhukay mode back to upper mid table. Monk put us back in Luhukay mode. No manager needed to be surprised we had a points deduction looming and players leaving if they did their homework. That was the job when they took it.

Its incredible some people think losing each week with a whimper for a time was unavoidable because of contracts and a deduction that wasn’t even in place yet. A tough gig, for sure and not a situation of his making. But it was too much for him.The current manager has already managed to get a reaction from players likely leaving soon.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, Spondon Owl said:

You nor I have a view of what went on against transfers but Monk said at the time he made the decisions. Therefore while he isn't singularly to blame, agreed, he did play a significant part in assembling a pretty abject squad 

He was the man in the managers chair,who carried the can for much bigger issues,nothing more....there are  multiplepeople responsible for assembling this squad,as any look at those given a shirt number this season will testify,yet the still the 'myth' of its all GM fault continues,CC,Jos,Bullen,SB,as well as those brought in under GM tenure assembled this squad..  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bluesteel said:

Bruce was an example of someone with man management ability who got those misfits from Luhukay mode back to upper mid table. Monk put us back in Luhukay mode. No manager needed to be surprised we had a points deduction looming and players leaving if they did their homework. That was the job when they took it.

Its incredible some people think losing each week with a whimper for a time was unavoidable because of contracts and a deduction that wasn’t even in place yet. A tough gig, for sure and not a situation of his making. But it was too much for him.The current manager has already managed to get a reaction from players likely leaving soon.

Come off it,Moore has struggled the same as other managers have,look at some of the dire performances turned in by these players,YES he has had a couple of good wins,but who is to say players just arnt trying to impress for their next 'gig' ,rather than anything Moore has done?..SWFC has been a tough gig for just about anyone here,SB didnt hang around long enough for us to take a view,but he has had his bust up at Newcastle hasnt he?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, parajack said:

Come off it,Moore has struggled the same as other managers have,look at some of the dire performances turned in by these players,YES he has had a couple of good wins,but who is to say players just arnt trying to impress for their next 'gig' ,rather than anything Moore has done?..SWFC has been a tough gig for just about anyone here,SB didnt hang around long enough for us to take a view,but he has had his bust up at Newcastle hasnt he?

Why didn’t so many of the players want to impress for their next gig when Monk was here though?

I was listening to a podcast this lunch and Danny Mills was talking about Stuart Pearce being uncomfortable with so many senior pros challenging him that he ostracised them and played the younger players instead. I think both Luhukay and Monk did that but Bruce was able to blow smoke up the backside of the senior players who respected him.

Bruce did ok at Newcastle at first but it’s worn off but it’s not the same level or the type of player. He’d still be a good manager in the second tier. 

Guest whowantstoberich
5 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

I was listening to a podcast this lunch and Danny Mills was talking about Stuart Pearce being uncomfortable with so many senior pros challenging him that he ostracised them and played the younger players instead.

I think Monk did this.. That is a sign of poor management / inexperience, and we never want a manager along them lines again.

22 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

Why didn’t so many of the players want to impress for their next gig when Monk was here though?

I was listening to a podcast this lunch and Danny Mills was talking about Stuart Pearce being uncomfortable with so many senior pros challenging him that he ostracised them and played the younger players instead. I think both Luhukay and Monk did that but Bruce was able to blow smoke up the backside of the senior players who respected him.

Bruce did ok at Newcastle at first but it’s worn off but it’s not the same level or the type of player. He’d still be a good manager in the second tier. 

Maybe because they were sitting on long contracts with big money wages? and didnt need to??? 

Guest LondonOwl313
24 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

Newcastle’s main problem is they don’t have much quality up front. Wilson is class but injured, and the rest are garbage. Carroll is way past it and Joelinton literally only plays because they wasted £40m on him.. if he’d cost a few million he’d have been discarded to the reserves 

17 minutes ago, whowantstoberich said:

I think Monk did this.. That is a sign of poor management / inexperience, and we never want a manager along them lines again.

Absolute pure speculation,pie in the sky onesizefits all reasoning.......what are the chances of two different professional football managers ostracizing the same 2 players?? doesn't make sense does it? We dont know the reason,but anyone who has had to deal with such in the workplace recognizes the signs.

Truth? dont know where the truth lies and never will unless someone does a kiss and tell at some point...

• Like 1

Guest whowantstoberich
1 minute ago, parajack said:

Absolute pure speculation,pie in the sky onesizefits all reasoning.......what are the chances of two different professional football managers ostracizing the same 2 players?? doesn't make sense does it? We dont know the reason,but anyone who has had to deal with such in the workplace recognizes the signs.

Truth? dont know where the truth lies and never will unless someone does a kiss and tell at some point...

Yes makes perfect sense, most experienced and knowledgeable players will stand up to incompetence if they feel they will get away with it.

The problem is if they don't have faith in the manager this happens. 

If the manager has experience and a bit of clout about him, they wouldn't dare challenge him. Happens in all industries not just football.

26 minutes ago, parajack said:

Maybe because they were sitting on long contracts with big money wages? and didnt need to??? 

They weren’t though were they as most of them left and GM was suggesting the contracts being run down was the issue. 

22 hours ago, Bluesteel said:

It’s not irrelevant. He managed the situation poorly and that’s coming from someone who liked him elsewhere and really wanted him to come here as manager. We got some decent results despite the charge announced in November including a 4 nil demolition of forest and then winning against Bristol C to go third despite all this and he was rightly applauded. 

Then the Stoke game happened and we capitulated on many occasions for the rest of the season. To have expected promotion or playoffs would be unrealistic but that run was absolutely abysmal prior to the covid pause and has played a part in forming the landscape of this season.

monks record from that stoke game onwards was appalling he should have gone that summer , we had bottom of the league form from that game until he was sacked ,yet some on here think he shouldn`t have been sacked . 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, morganowl said:

monks record from that stoke game onwards was appalling he should have gone that summer , we had bottom of the league form from that game until he was sacked ,yet some on here think he shouldn`t have been sacked . 

He got sacked though 

Ages ago

We have got worse since he was sacked

We were picking up more points under Monk than any manager since 

• Thanks 1

Owlstalk Shop

Monk just felt like the wrong bloke in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I don't think he's a bad manager nor a particularly good one and I don't harbour any bitterness towards him, I find the amount of hate he gets weird but then again I can't understand why Carlos gets so much flak either.

• Like 1