Steve Chu with a few home truths.

4 minutes ago, Owling with laughter said:

In what way is the potential so great at Wednesday compared to most in the PL and EFL?

Genuine question, what sets Wednesday apart from so many other clubs?

We haven’t seen it for quite a while but we can pull big crowds when doing well. Whether we actually are or not, we are still talked about (albeit occasionally) on tv and in other media as a big club. I honestly believe there are thousands of Wednesdayites that’s are lapsed match day attendees that will return on a part or full time basis if we get in the Premier League. Plus, there will be fans of the top teams that come to Hillsborough plus the neutrals. We also have a strong tradition and an authenticity.  

if we consider all of the above, we could (and should) attract good sponsorship and commercial revenue alongside increased matchday revenue.  

We used to legitimately sit alongside the Everton’s, Villas and Tottenhams of this world - why can’t we do that again?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

43 minutes ago, Owling with laughter said:

In what way is the potential so great at Wednesday compared to most in the PL and EFL?

Wednesday get bigger attendances than most around us in the league, so more revenue and more potential.  Though on the minus side, Sheffield lacks local companies like American Express and MSP Capital who have sponsored Brighton and Bournemouth.

I will always maintain we would have been massive when a certain chairman put his own personal ambition against the club he claimed to love. He even got a knighthood, hope he feels proud of his actions.

Edited by Big Jack
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Do you not think the point he is making is fair?

When Man City sign a player they do so with a plan taking into account his strengths and how his ability will be used to make the team better within the approach that they play with.

Which players do you think we have signed and taken anything like that into account recently? 

Literally none since CC's first season when we had a team involved

24 minutes ago, shandypants said:

We haven’t seen it for quite a while but we can pull big crowds when doing well. Whether we actually are or not, we are still talked about (albeit occasionally) on tv and in other media as a big club. I honestly believe there are thousands of Wednesdayites that’s are lapsed match day attendees that will return on a part or full time basis if we get in the Premier League. Plus, there will be fans of the top teams that come to Hillsborough plus the neutrals. We also have a strong tradition and an authenticity.  

if we consider all of the above, we could (and should) attract good sponsorship and commercial revenue alongside increased matchday revenue.  

We used to legitimately sit alongside the Everton’s, Villas and Tottenhams of this world - why can’t we do that again?

I think it’s the way you worded it that threw me. What you actually mean and have just described is Wednesday have the same potential as half the clubs in the Championship and a few in the Premier League.

• Haha 1

Guest Therealrealist
2 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

It’s not as black and white as signing players who are younger.

It’s about doing our due diligence and signing players who fit the ethos of the club. Players who want to fight for the shirt. Players who fit the system. Players who want to succeed and play at the next level. Players with ability.

Our recruitment has been properly awful. I don’t think people quite realise how shocking it’s been since 2016. Players signed with no plan or design, money on crocks and players who’s best days have been and gone. 

Eh? You dont think people realise how bad our recruitment has been since 2016? I think most of us do 😂

27 minutes ago, WalworthOwl said:

Wednesday get bigger attendances than most around us in the league, so more revenue and more potential.  Though on the minus side, Sheffield lacks local companies like American Express and MSP Capital who have sponsored Brighton and Bournemouth.

Not even in the top six in the Championship. Really not so great that the potential can be described anything more than an ordinary reasonably sized club in the Championship.

• Haha 1

Guest LondonOwl313
1 hour ago, hirstyboywonder said:

In all probability, the bumper wage increase he got when Cardiff got promoted probably included a relegation clause but he was still thought to be on around £17K per week. I would imagine we are paying him well, not in the bracket that the likes of our top earners were getting on contract from 2017 but a good salary for lower end Championship football. He will be expensive by League One standards. 

I hope all of the contracts we signed have relegation wage cut clauses. I’m doubtful though as that would probably put players off coming when you start on -12

Guest Therealrealist
2 hours ago, Howards back said:

Not defending Bullen and Thompson but trying to tell something to Chansiri must be like banging your head against a brick wall. 

Dont blame him for not listening to them..but thats probably why they are still there...reckon dc likes surrounding himself with people he dosnt have to listen to🙄

Guest LondonOwl313
38 minutes ago, shandypants said:

We’re about a generation behind some of those clubs now though. Like Spurs have a striker valued at about 6 times as much as what our whole club is worth.

It would take an incredible amount of money and an incredible amount of luck too with results for us to become a force again. It’s just very unlikely 

Guest LondonOwl313
7 minutes ago, Owling with laughter said:

Not even in the top six in the Championship. Really not so great that the potential can be described anything more than an ordinary reasonably sized club in the Championship.

Most of the rest of the championship aren’t being fleeced on ticket prices though so we do well all things considered. They also make it more accessible for younger supporters to afford to go. Wednesday could get close to 30k if they were doing ok and had better ticket pricing. There’s more appetite amongst the public for a match day experience which is why attendances have risen over the last 20-30 years generally, but we don’t cater to that so our attendances are static

1 hour ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Do you not think the point he is making is fair?

When Man City sign a player they do so with a plan taking into account his strengths and how his ability will be used to make the team better within the approach that they play with.

Which players do you think we have signed and taken anything like that into account recently? 

Clear plan behind Wednesday signings is to make the team worse:  eg Patterson for Nuhui ...

so he comes out and says the club has issues shocker, and there in the boardroom. Not exactly new information.

then goes on to quote than Man City and Bournemouth were in league one, completely fails to mention one got a free 60,000 stadium in Manchester and a billionaire shiek who has broke ffp laws virtually every season since. The other has a billionaire owner who also broke the rules to get promoted and will probably do it again this season and The EFL are too weak to prosecute them. They will go after clubs The other end of the table instead.

He's post to me sound like someone who is upset to not be involved at Hillsborough, but also it's painful what's happening knowing you can do nothing to stop it.

4 hours ago, Owling with laughter said:

I think it’s the way you worded it that threw me. What you actually mean and have just described is Wednesday have the same potential as half the clubs in the Championship and a few in the Premier League.

No. I think that we have more potential than those clubs you refer to. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, Big Jack said:

I will always maintain we would have been massive when a certain chairman put his own personal ambition against the club he claimed to love. He even got a knighthood, hope he feels proud of his actions.

In fairness to him, he did give us that pool fall by way of a keepsake. lol

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Owling with laughter said:

Genuine question, what sets Wednesday apart from so many other clubs?

Because whatever the faults, Wednesday has the infrastructure and support network that other clubs could only dream of. 

Port Vale might have a storied history, but a club with an 18k seater will never have the financial structure to go anywhere no matter how brilliant their academy or transfers might be. 

We're waylaid. 

Not out. 

Leeds can literally "do a Leeds" and then claw their way back to a perennial place in the PL. 

Wolverhampton was in the PL in 09, dropped, and dropped harder still but went from League 1 to PL and Europa in four years. 

We just need to shut down, retool, and forge on. 

The best way to absolutely ensure mediocrity is to actively plan for it. Aim high. 

We're going to drop. 

We're going to rebuild. And it needs to be with a more modern approach to the game. 

Edited by Indoor Owl
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Indoor Owl said:

Because whatever the faults, Wednesday has the infrastructure and support network that other clubs could only dream of. 

Port Vale might have a storied history, but a club with an 18k seater will never have the financial structure to go anywhere no matter how brilliant their academy or transfers might be. 

We're waylaid. 

Not out. 

Leeds can literally "do a Leeds" and then claw their way back to a perennial place in the PL. 

Wolverhampton was in the PL in 09, dropped, and dropped harder still but went from League 1 to PL and Europa in four years. 

We just need to shut down, retool, and forge on. 

The best way to absolutely ensure mediocrity is to actively plan for it. Aim high. 

We're going to drop. 

We're going to rebuild. And it needs to be with a more modern approach to the game. 

And ignoring potted nonsense like ‘they might not be as skilful as you might like’ no this is professional football not a chuffing blasé in the park 

18 hours ago, runningaround said:

He gives evidence and critical analysis we can all see, its been a sheet show since mid 90s. No clear plan, no identity. It could be argued we are lucky not to be lower down before this year. His damning comparison is clearly aimed at the owner in my opinion, a danger to his own money and our club equally.

I can’t believe it’s taken until now for some to wake up