Van Aken leaving

I remember reading and article on this deal early on which said something like 'Wednesday swoop to sign a player which no-one else was bidding for/tracking' - think all the other clubs saw that he was elegant on the ball but shybo when under physical pressure.

Will probably do well in a less aggressive league.......£500k max value - someone made a big 'commission' on this transfer.....

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, 0742 said:

Abdi & Urby have to be the 2 worst signings surely?

Urby Emanuelson.

This is what he said when he signed for us:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/1735003/former-ac-milan-and-holland-star-urby-emanuelson-signs-on-a-free-for-sheffield-wednesday/

How many players come out and say that they are a top earner at the club before they have even kicked a ball? 

12 hours ago, parkfieldowl14 said:

Abdi, Van Aken plus many others more or less says it all about DC's recruitment policy which has been a utter disaster.Glad to see the back of him.

Abdi mullered us when playing for Wutford, and played half a season in the PL and looked fine.

He just turned brown and smelly when he signed for us.

r003.png

• Like 2

10 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Urby Emanuelson.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/1735003/former-ac-milan-and-holland-star-urby-emanuelson-signs-on-a-free-for-sheffield-wednesday/

How many players come out and say that they are a top earner at the club before they have even kicked a ball? 

That’s a move that stinks of agent work and palm greasing. Played 45 minutes in 6 months didn’t he?

• Like 1

I said from the start, this transfer needed to be looked at very carefully . Within 5 minutes of his first match I could see the huge issues with the player ( can’t shift his weight properly and drive from correct foot so gets caught flat footed ) which I have posted about since he came here.  I do not believe for one second he was scouted. We had one shot with van aken which was to take him out of the squad and just train him over and over and over until he sorted this out. He never did properly , and the mistakes he made just made his confidence collapse at the same time.

No one comes out of this transfer well. We effectively replaced our most important player and dressing room leader Loovens with Van Aken which destroyed the team and defence. We didn’t do what was needed to improve the player who I can only assume has hated playing here.

He will be great in the MLS or Middle East , and will get good money out there. I wish him all the best . 

One of the very MANY failures from our deadly duo recruitment think tank.

That day when he was skinned three times in his own box by an ageing 3rd division player really defined him for me.

They gave us all that spin about how theyd searched europe and the UK and this was the best player they could get for the money.Obviously didnt scout the lower leagues here then for players like Basham and Pinnock,both of whome would have saved them an absolute fortune both in fee and wages,unless DC just stuck em on 25 grand anyway,and wed have sold either for a healthy profit!

18 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Urby Emanuelson.

Something doesn't ring true with the Urby Emanuelson deal.

Don't make someone your highest paid player and only plays 30 mins in an end of season game with nothing riding on it.

I have not got a clue what the truth is and doubt we will ever know.

9 hours ago, 83owl said:

That’s a move that stinks of agent work and palm greasing. Played 45 minutes in 6 months didn’t he?

Very strange, he got a 20 minute run around in a meaningless final game of the season in a completely different position for which we had supposedly signed him for.  

Just out of interest and not that it matters but is this guy injured and out for season anyway ?

Just I can't remember hearing about him having a long term injury this season as with others like Iorfa, Luongo, Oddjob 

Monk and Pulis had both picked him earlier in season but he's never made squad for months and doesn't appear to even play in U23's 

Or is it just cos he's no good 

1 hour ago, Worksop Wednesday said:

Just out of interest and not that it matters but is this guy injured and out for season anyway ?

Just I can't remember hearing about him having a long term injury this season as with others like Iorfa, Luongo, Oddjob 

Monk and Pulis had both picked him earlier in season but he's never made squad for months and doesn't appear to even play in U23's 

Or is it just cos he's no good 

Already played his yearly quota

On 21/03/2021 at 16:43, 0742 said:

Abdi & Urby have to be the 2 worst signings surely?

Add Darryl Lachman to that list, and plenty more with him, sadly.

Incredible how much we wasted on wages.

:duntmatter:

Edited by bobness
  • Haha 1