Michael Palin - “My beloved Blades”

I've read his diaries (they were published in book form,  I wasn't stalking him) and he mentions Wednesday quite a few times, going to games, how happy he was when we got promoted in 84, winning the cup in 81 etc. but hardly mentions the blades at all. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, alanharper said:

I've read his diaries (they were published in book form,  I wasn't stalking him) and he mentions Wednesday quite a few times, going to games, how happy he was when we got promoted in 84, winning the cup in 81 etc. but hardly mentions the blades at all. 

What cup did we win in 81? 

49 minutes ago, TaxiMark said:

In one of his old docs there is a little kid wearing a Wednesday shirt in some corner of the world and Palin says that's 'my team'

He needs to be clear, nothing worst then a bloke sitting on the fence.

Why?

Its his choice, don't agree with it but not sure he needs to be clear for the benefit of anyone else. 

There is nothing partisan about Michael Palin. I suspect the other poster has it correct, he probably wasn’t their biggest fan, but perhaps favoured the Blades. He’s lived a rich and varied life, all around the world, but is obviously proud of his Sheffield roots. That includes wanting to see both teams doing well

• Like 4

I think he dropped both teams' names in his programmes and books to reinforce his Sheffield roots. He was a middle class lad born in Ranmoor and went to Birkdale then Oxford.

I would hazard a guess he's not been to either ground more than a dozen times in his life.

Great Sheffielder though - although he's hardly lived here throughout his life.

• Thanks 1