Michael Palin - “My beloved Blades”

18 hours ago, Imre Varadi's Conker said:

Yeah, I remember, around the world in 80 days. I think he was working with rubbish men in Venice. There was a trophy thrown out and he waved it above his head 'Sheffield Wednesday!'. 

Great memory....

• Thanks 1

You must be unusual in being a Sheffield United fan who watches Wednesday too? 
Well, I’ve lived in London for 35 years and I do follow the fortunes of both. It’s more a token of feelings for the city where I grew up. Sheffield people will say to me: “You’ll say ‘up the Blades’ then you’ll say you’re a Wednesday fan, what’s going on?” United were the club I supported when I was growing up, mainly because their ground was the nearest to our house. I used to see Wednesday supp­orters as a different type of person, just... deeply dis­turbed. But then I was always excited when either club was involved in a big game and Wednesday tended to be involved in bigger games. When I first came to London, it was 1966 and Wednesday were in the Cup final, so I couldn’t say I wasn’t interested because they were from my city. Eric Idle was a big Chelsea fan and I used to go there to see either Sheffield team play. I found myself being sucked in as a sort of associate Wednesday fan, though I would have been disem­boweled in Sheffield if they’d known that. 

http://www.wsc.co.uk/the-archive/100-Fan-culture/3967-call-yourself-a-football-fan--michael-palin

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, mirodo said:

You must be unusual in being a Sheffield United fan who watches Wednesday too? 
Well, I’ve lived in London for 35 years and I do follow the fortunes of both. It’s more a token of feelings for the city where I grew up. Sheffield people will say to me: “You’ll say ‘up the Blades’ then you’ll say you’re a Wednesday fan, what’s going on?” United were the club I supported when I was growing up, mainly because their ground was the nearest to our house. I used to see Wednesday supp­orters as a different type of person, just... deeply dis­turbed. But then I was always excited when either club was involved in a big game and Wednesday tended to be involved in bigger games. When I first came to London, it was 1966 and Wednesday were in the Cup final, so I couldn’t say I wasn’t interested because they were from my city. Eric Idle was a big Chelsea fan and I used to go there to see either Sheffield team play. I found myself being sucked in as a sort of associate Wednesday fan, though I would have been disem­boweled in Sheffield if they’d known that. 

http://www.wsc.co.uk/the-archive/100-Fan-culture/3967-call-yourself-a-football-fan--michael-palin

Anyone else it would mean a big black mark against them for saying stuff like that.

But can be very few people who have made me laugh and entertained me a much as Micheal Palin so I doing mind letting him off.

• Like 2

What was the best game you ’ve ever seen?
The only time I’ve been to Wembley and seen a Sheffield team win was when Wednesday beat Man Utd in what was then the Rumbelows Cup. It wasn’t a great match but I’ve never been more emotional at a game, because the Wednesday supporters were terrific, they had all these great banners, whereas the Man Utd fans seemed a really grim bunch even before they’d lost.

• Like 3

On 21/03/2021 at 13:35, Ellis Rimmer said:

Older football fans don't tend to care about the rivalries as much

Correct in my case - back in the 60s, I'd watch Wednesday one week (because I supported them), and United the next (because they had a great team and played great footie) at their 3 sided ground.  But never any doubt whom I supported, and still do....regardless... UTO

• Like 3

Always thought he was a Wednesday fan due to the references he’s always made in his documentaries so I’m surprised He’s a blade........also.......eh?.....but then I think of my late step dad who played a lot of football watched every game going and spent most of his working life in Sheffield, I used to ask him which team do you support? Blades or owls? To which he used to reply well both!......

6 hours ago, Blueform mac said:

My dad sent 10 quid off to try and get me a 10 bob 1966 cup final ticket and we got 1 ticket and got 9 and a half quid returned. He was always a United ite but was cheering us on for the cup run and when I got back from the semi at villa park the house was decorated in blue and white  and he was sad he didn't get a cup final ticket,however a cousin of mine got him a ticket in the same pen as me and he celebrated our goals the same as all of us. When the final whistle went we both had tears streaming down our cheeks when the lads did their famous lap of honour. Memories of my dad, a blade supporting us. 

So some people so torn as which team to support so they support them both! Not for me but I wonder if you get the same in say Manchester where people back city and United?

7 minutes ago, Yorkowl.74 said:

So some people so torn as which team to support so they support them both! Not for me but I wonder if you get the same in say Manchester where people back city and United?

They are less partisan than us, most Man Utd are more interested in beating Liverpool. So sure they will have people that follow both.

On 22/03/2021 at 10:51, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Whoever asked that question clearly doesn't know many United supporters, then.

Most Blades seem to know more about our club than us Wednesdayites.

:duntmatter:

First result  they look out for

Guest Therealrealist

Allways thought monty python was as funny as my yearly visit to the dentist..maybe its an age thing 😕