Jordan Rhodes

10 hours ago, Bluesteel said:

He’d be great in the league below. But I guess there’s no chance of that

This is exactly the situation. 

When we could actually really benefit from him he'll leave for nowt and we'll replace him with another Kachunga or Marriot. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Started way too few games. Best we’ve got in that position by far.

Managers preferring Windass, Paterson, Kachunga and Marriott in a season where we don’t score enough is the main reason we are going down.

100% agree.

With what we've had at our disposal it's been madness not to play him.

25 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

Quite so.

But in this particular case, where one was lambasted as a "donkey" and the other we were repeatedly told "guarantees goals", they are quite funny.

Rhodes has a better goals per minute record than Nuhiu for us.

Guest T Hardy
4 minutes ago, 4evaowl said:

100% agree.

With what we've had at our disposal it's been madness not to play him.

Pulis said we don’t even have a striker at the club. It does make you wonder what Rhodes is like in training to not even be considered a striker by TP

1 minute ago, T Hardy said:

Pulis said we don’t even have a striker at the club. It does make you wonder what Rhodes is like in training to not even be considered a striker by TP

I think we need to question the opinion of the manager whose record here was:-

P10. W1. D4. L5. Pts7

We scored 6 goals.

His striker picks scored 3.

He got it badly wrong.

Guest T Hardy
3 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

P10. W1. D4. L5. Pts7

We scored 6 goals.

He got it badly wrong.

I completely agree. I’d like to know what was behind the we have no strikers comment. 

29 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

P10. W1. D4. L5. Pts7

We scored 6 goals.

He got it badly wrong.

He certainly struggled to get a tune out of our lot, but we're still talking about a manager with decades of experience, who's managed more than 250 games at this level and more than 320 in the Premier League. He's forgotten more about football than we'll ever know.

Unfortunately, in the final reckoning, his assessment of our squad may not prove to be too far wide of the mark.

1 hour ago, DJMortimer said:

Quite so.

But in this particular case, where one was lambasted as a "donkey" and the other we were repeatedly told "guarantees goals", they are quite funny.

Particularly when the one lambasted as a donkey also had a far better all round game than the other. 

Anyway, as much as I don't rate Rhodes, we need him to keep scoring so, come on Jordan lad - keep it up - you owe us big time!   

33 minutes ago, T Hardy said:

I completely agree. I’d like to know what was behind the we have no strikers comment. 

That comment came a couple of weeks after he subbed Rhodes on and off within the space of 40 minutes.

When asked about that unusual decision, he said:

'It was just for the team. I thought the team would benefit from that change. It is not the first time I have done it and it won’t be the last time.

'It’s not about Jordan; it’s about the team. I’m more concerned about the team than the individuals. 

'I had something else in my mind for the last 10 minutes; he ran around but I wanted something else. I thought the game would get more stretched in the last quarter of an hour and that would mean there would be more space in certain areas.

'I could go into loads of detail about what players were and weren't doing but that is for me and the players.'

1 hour ago, DJMortimer said:

Quite so.

OK cards on the table. Comparing Nuhiu and Rhodes is pointless as they are totally different. Nuhiu the cult hero to many was as his predecessors in this role most notably Reda were actually crap. Nuhiu seemed happy to come off the bench.,make a nuisance of himself if he scored or helped us see out a game he was the hero. If he made no difference as he usually did he wasn't at fault. When he started he more often than not got subbed himself. Rhodes on the other hand is a different kettle of fish. He is a confidence player who thrives on service. More often than not he would score. Carlos didn't really want him and knocked his confidence by using him in fits and starts. He didn't help the situation by missing the pen at Leeds after that he became more of a bit part player with Carlos using his tried and tested frontmen. His time here has been stop start. He's never built up a momentum. I believe his confidence has gone. This is due to not having a good run of games and us not playing to his strengths. It's a boring argument now but very true. He has been a waste of money and his reputation has suffered. It's too late for him to resurrect his time here but I hope he gets a run in the side and proves me wrong. 

9 minutes ago, MARTY BOY said:

OK cards on the table. Comparing Nuhiu and Rhodes is pointless as they are totally different. Nuhiu the cult hero to many was as his predecessors in this role most notably Reda were actually crap. Nuhiu seemed happy to come off the bench.,make a nuisance of himself if he scored or helped us see out a game he was the hero. If he made no difference as he usually did he wasn't at fault. When he started he more often than not got subbed himself. Rhodes on the other hand is a different kettle of fish. He is a confidence player who thrives on service. More often than not he would score. Carlos didn't really want him and knocked his confidence by using him in fits and starts. He didn't help the situation by missing the pen at Leeds after that he became more of a bit part player with Carlos using his tried and tested frontmen. His time here has been stop start. He's never built up a momentum. I believe his confidence has gone. This is due to not having a good run of games and us not playing to his strengths. It's a boring argument now but very true. He has been a waste of money and his reputation has suffered. It's too late for him to resurrect his time here but I hope he gets a run in the side and proves me wrong. 

Nuhiu was far from a pile of crap for us. 

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, T Hardy said:

That shows what an appalling manager he was.

Rhodes often reported as a model pro. Clearly the club have been trying to force him out at the January transfer window to get him off the wage bill, but no takers.

He should have been the first choice since game 1. 

Just thought I'd look it up out of interest. According to whoscored.com and only includes league games...

MINS       GOALS       AVG. MINS      ASSISTS     AVG. MINS

Hooper        5,998           30               199.9                12                  499.8

Fletcher       7,834           37               211.7                  7               1,119.1

Forestieri     8,740           40               218.5               13                   672.3

Joao             5,835           26               224.4                 8                   729.4              

Rhodes        4,460           15               297.3                  2               2,230.0

Windass       2,421             8              302.6                  1                2,421.0

Nuhiu          12,397          40               309.9               23                   539.0

Matias         2,912              9               323.6                 2                1,456.0

Winnall         1,680             5               336.0                 1                1,680.0

Paterson      2,203             6               367.2                 2                1,101.5

So in the factor that supposedly separates him from his contemporaries, Rhodes is comprehensively beaten by 4 players and only slightly better than some really unheralded names or even part-time strikers who came at a fraction of the cost. If this is where we are now scrabbling around to try and rescue his reputation, that is it's own commentary. Start considering some of the other things that forwards may be asked to do that don't figure in the statistics but help a team get results, and it gets bleaker still.

• Love 1

11 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

Just thought I'd look it up out of interest. According to whoscored.com and only includes league games...

MINS       GOALS       AVG. MINS      ASSISTS     AVG. MINS

Hooper        5,998           30               199.9                12                  499.8

Fletcher       7,834           37               211.7                  7               1,119.1

Forestieri     8,740           40               218.5               13                   672.3

Joao             5,835           26               224.4                 8                   729.4              

Rhodes        4,460           15               297.3                  2               2,230.0

Windass       2,421             8              302.6                  1                2,421.0

Nuhiu          12,397          40               309.9               23                   539.0

Matias         2,912              9               323.6                 2                1,456.0

Winnall         1,680             5               336.0                 1                1,680.0

Paterson      2,203             6               367.2                 2                1,101.5

So in the factor that supposedly separates him from his contemporaries, Rhodes is comprehensively beaten by 4 players and only slightly better than some really unheralded names or even part-time strikers who came at a fraction of the cost. If this is where we are now scrabbling around to try and rescue his reputation, that is it's own commentary. Start considering some of the other things that forwards may be asked to do that don't figure in the statistics but help a team get results, and it gets bleaker still.

There you go again with those limited value statistics. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, MARTY BOY said:

There you go again with those limited value statistics. 

I'll repeat myself. We were told Rhodes "guarantees goals" so often it became almost a catchphrase on here. Now that has proven to be far from the case with countless teammates, numerous managers and who knows how many tactical variations, his advocates are getting stroppy about it and trying to rearrange the entire universe to try and rescue what they can from it. No player I can remember has come close to the variety of excuses offered on his behalf. Even some of his strongest supporters acknowledge he offers little apart from finishing, so if his record at even that is modest, what is left?

1 minute ago, Emilianenko said:

You’re wasting your time. They are chairman and vice chairman of the Nuhiu fan club. They also despise Rhodes 

Straw man sloganeering to hide behind as usual. I have been far more occupied with those employing double standards in judging them than the players themselves. If I despised Rhodes, I wouldn't have suggested he should have played more often this season or praised his excellent goal at Bournemouth. Nuhiu was no more than a reasonable rotation option for us at the time who was unfairly singled out for disproportionate criticism.