Overreaction

8 minutes ago, northeastowl said:

Is it just me that thinks there has been a bit of an overreaction to today’s result. 

Don’t get me wrong the performance wasn’t brilliant and the tactics weren’t great however we were never in danger of losing that until the red card. Had Shaw not been sent off I’m pretty confident we would have gone on to win that. 

Yes DC hasn’t got a clue what he’s doing and

has caused all this mess however if we’d have won that 1-0 today then this overreaction wouldn’t be happening. 

I’m still confident we will stay up. 

But we didn't win. No point whatsoever saying if we'd won, we didn't.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, northeastowl said:

It was a 6 pointer, it ain’t going to be pretty. We gave it a good go and were the better team until the red card. The clubs a mess, yes, but today’s result/performance isn’t the end of the world. 

what hope is there when you turn in a performance like that in a game that (I don’t care how you dress it up) we had to avoid defeat at the very least.

As others have said a defeat on its own isnt a problem - that’s part and parcel of football - but the manner of the defeat, the sharp and rapid tailspin that this club is heading in, and with no leadership from a ******** poor chairman and no competent manager, leads to this reaction.

Even when we have got results this season I find it hard to celebrate because the club is in a steep (and I would say possibly irreversible) decline  even if we do somehow manage to stay up

Edited by hopevalleyowl
  • Like 1

I think if we had played like we did vs Wycombe with the same tactics, wingers, early crosses raining into their box behind their defenders I'd  have been way way happier

We employed Pulisball today and it was a horror show

I'm not gonna criticise the team selection too much as that's captain hindsight

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

Not an overreaction at all. We lost today because even before the sending off we were showing no energy or willingness to force a poor Birmingham team onto the back foot. The only tactic was to get rid of the ball by lofting the ball upfield. Passes to the feet or attempts to run with the ball were minimal and although Brum had less possession they were more comfortable on the ball. I couldn’t see how we could have scored today and the sending off just finished off our hopes.

Over reaction? Don’t think so it was another dire performance.

• Like 2

It wasn't an overreaction.

It was the worst performance of the season against probably the worse side we have played all season.

Total lack of urgency, desire, effort and most importantly quality.

There wasn't one bit of quality play from us today!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, northeastowl said:

I agree with most of the above but today’s result isn’t a cause to have a meltdown about it all. We all knew the club is a mess before today’s game. We need to take today’s game for what it is and go again. 

Problem is, it has happened far too frequently this season. 'Those who do not learn history are doomed to repeat it'

Just now, @owlstalk said:

I think if we had played like we did vs Wycombe with the same tactics, wingers, early crosses raining into their box behind their defenders I'd  have been way way happier

We employed Pulisball today and it was a horror show

Wycombe tried to play football though and gave us room to play into. Birmingham today put every player behind the ball and wouldn’t let us play. 

13 minutes ago, i used to be sc_owl said:

I think the outrage is partly due to the result today, but also due to the result today on top of everything else. It is the straw breaking the camel’s back. 

The camel at Hillsborough has had its back broken so many times though it looks like a wet sock!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, northeastowl said:

Wycombe tried to play football though and gave us room to play into. Birmingham today put every player behind the ball and wouldn’t let us play. 

If anything the result and  performance proves my point the tactics we employed today didn't counteract that and the Wycombe tactics/style would have had more of a chance

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, Beighton Owl 87 said:

The defeats against Millwall and Stoke haven't bothered me so much as try to not let it get to me but today was ******** horrendous. How many times are we gonna throw away the chance to move out of the bottom three?

Not have many more chances way teams are picking up points above us 

Can’t keep falling for the egg under the hat. Red cards, penalties, cheap free kicks, individual errors have cost us massively....... that’s before the dire and negative team selections and tactics. 

Add to that poor recruitment and injuries and points deduction and it serves up a recipe for disaster. 

we are so naive as a club/team/players it’s unreal. IF we stay up this season it will be a modern day miracle 

2 minutes ago, modboy said:

Not have many more chances way teams are picking up points above us 

Absolutely. Today's game, Rotherham and Huddersfield are games we must be looking at winning. Wins elsewhere are a bonus. Only team around the bottom not to have taken points from us is Derby. So frustrating 

I'm not sure we can play 'football' against the majority of the teams in the Championship. We're not mobile enough and lack quality and composure.

Get three up top and hoof it forrad I say - we may as well play for the scraps then tentatively passing it around the back 4/6 for 90 mins.

• Like 1

I’m surprised how measured the response is. Even in the Matchday Thread there wasn’t loads of ranting, more just exasperation than anything.

Today was a must win game. Brum were there to be beaten. We couldn’t impose ourselves on them at all. Hoofball doesn’t work without a target man. Defenders have to hoof it when there’s no one to pass to in midfield because they are all stood still. Shaw made a silly tackle but we have 5 subs and we could have taken him off at half time etc etc. 
People are cheesed off because football is often about hope and this basically killed it off. 

• Like 3