Overreaction

Just now, Animis said:

I'm not sure we can play 'football' against the majority of the teams in the Championship. We're not mobile enough and lack quality and composure.

Get three up top and hoof it forrad I say - we may as well play for the scraps then tentatively passing it around the back 4/6 for 90 mins.

Which three would you play? Paterson, Rhodes and Windass just behind them? Might be worth a go just for fun!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Animis said:

I'm not sure we can play 'football' against the majority of the teams in the Championship. We're not mobile enough and lack quality and composure.

Get three up top and hoof it forrad I say - we may as well play for the scraps then tentatively passing it around the back 4/6 for 90 mins.

It's proven time and time and time and time again not to work - including  today

Yet every time we hear 'we don't have the players to play any other way'

Yet we do against Wycombe and look a confident totally different unit

Then we go back to hooooooffff ball and lose again

Baffling

Owlstalk Shop

2 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

it would have been interesting to see crowds reaction today if we were allowed in.
Of course I don't want to see Wednesday lose but I always enjoy seeing bloke 2 rows in front of me when things are going wrong.
He goes Ape S***! 

But wouldn't if he was the only one in the ground

Owlstalk Shop

38 minutes ago, northeastowl said:

Is it just me that thinks there has been a bit of an overreaction to today’s result. 

Don’t get me wrong the performance wasn’t brilliant and the tactics weren’t great however we were never in danger of losing that until the red card. Had Shaw not been sent off I’m pretty confident we would have gone on to win that. 

Yes DC hasn’t got a clue what he’s doing and

has caused all this mess however if we’d have won that 1-0 today then this overreaction wouldn’t be happening. 

I’m still confident we will stay up. 

I agree . Not confined we will stay up

but you can’t blame anyone but Shaw for giving the ref the opportunity to send hi off.

13 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

it would have been interesting to see crowds reaction today if we were allowed in.
Of course I don't want to see Wednesday lose but I always enjoy seeing bloke 2 rows in front of me when things are going wrong.
He goes Ape S***! 

Sorry! You should see me when our lass burns my bacon on a sunday morning

Guest Therealrealist
9 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

He goes Ape S***! 

Our st holders wud have just left with a whimper in quiatness...they’ve all got that ‘we go again’ attitude...its always been the potd brigade who are more passionate and loud..you onl6 have to look at away games when the general sale mob are there..4K plus...it’s carnage...away games when it’s 2k and full of the massive points outfit...forest...rovrum...derby etc...it’s boring

12 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

It's proven time and time and time and time again not to work - including  today

Baffling

Wycombe are cannon fodder Neil. Don't benchmark via them.

Our possession is generally in our own half. We need to win games - we don't look like creating chances; particularly against the standard Championship teams.

If we'd got 12 games left against Wycombe, I'd agree with you, but we haven't and need to do something different.

Hoping to nick one and sitting deep hoping to defend ain't working. Within 4 games we could be 8/10 points adrift and that will be us relegated.

For me, Player mentality is a huge problem in my opinion and has been for years. We haven't had confident warriors on the pitch in a Wednesday shirt for a long time and that is manifesting in performances. 

Take Lees today. When the ball is in front of him and it's coming onto him he's fine. Can head it out / clear it all day.

Dunkley passes it sideways to him with acres of space and time and he was incapable of opening up his body to bring the right wing into play. He goes to pieces.The ball went back to Westwood.

There seems to be a sense of panic and a fear of making a mistake in our players and that is in an empty stadium.

What we then get is Indecisive, ponderous passing, little movement and poor workrate. Its not just one player either. It seems it's endemic throughout the squad.

I can't fathom it.

Is this our club culture?

Why is it so obviously different to other clubs? 

Why haven't successive managers been able to change this for the better?

Guest LondonOwl313

We need 6 points from the next 3 now.. Brentford, Luton and Rotherham.

Brentford have loads of injuries and have just lost to QPR and Coventry so we shouldn’t just roll over and accept defeat. The other two are winnable on paper which is when we tend to struggle. We need 6 points to stay in touch with the pack

1 minute ago, Animis said:

Wycombe are cannon fodder Neil. Don't benchmark via them.

Our possession is generally in our own half. We need to win games - we don't look like creating chances; particularly against the standard Championship teams.

If we'd got 12 games left against Wycombe, I'd agree with you, but we haven't and need to do something different.

Hoping to nick one and sitting deep hoping to defend ain't working. Within 4 games we could be 8/10 points adrift and that will be us relegated.

I hear what you're saying but we tried what we tried today (headers in  midfield for half an hour then an hour of hooooooofffffball) and lost

It's so frustrating

The second any manager starts doing what Thompson did today it's game over for them

Happens to every single manager apart from Big Ron

Everyone from Carlos, Megson, Puliis, Monk, Jos - all of them - sacked - for doing the hooooofball negative defensive nonsense

Owlstalk Shop

13 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Baffling

I thought we had decided to play three centre backs, two wingbacks, three midfielders and two strikers and to have a go at teams, putting in balls from wide. This would beat poor teams, give us a chance against average teams and see us beaten by better teams. Fair enough and the best we could hope for.

Championship defenders love a ball straight at them to head away and hate balls coming in at an angle. We even have two strikers who can get onto crosses on a good day. 

I’m certain it would have been a better option than today’s whatever the fûck that was supposed to be tactics!

38 minutes ago, northeastowl said:

It was a 6 pointer, it ain’t going to be pretty. We gave it a good go and were the better team until the red card. The clubs a mess, yes, but today’s result/performance isn’t the end of the world. 

I can't agree that we were the better team. All we did was hoof it upfield and win free kicks and throw ins. We did get some joy but not much. Brum on the other hand grew into the game after a shakey start. They were the ones stringing passes together and trying to play football.

Don't get me wrong they weren't good by any means. If we had gone for them from the off they would have collapsed. We gave them time and encouragement.

We didn't seem to have mutch of a plan and most of the players had poor games. Yes the red card changed the game but it came at a time when a draw was the most likely result.

It used to be hard to break down a team with 10 men, it certainly isn't the case with us.

We aren't down yet but it is looking ominously likely. We have been dreadful this week.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, northeastowl said:

Is it just me that thinks there has been a bit of an overreaction to today’s result. 

Don’t get me wrong the performance wasn’t brilliant and the tactics weren’t great however we were never in danger of losing that until the red card. Had Shaw not been sent off I’m pretty confident we would have gone on to win that. 

Yes DC hasn’t got a clue what he’s doing and

has caused all this mess however if we’d have won that 1-0 today then this overreaction wouldn’t be happening. 

I’m still confident we will stay up. 

Did we look remotely like scoring?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I hear what you're saying but we tried what we tried today (headers in  midfield for half an hour then an hour of hooooooofffffball) and lost

It's so frustrating

The second any manager starts doing what Thompson did today it's game over for them

Happens to every single manager apart from Big Ron

Everyone from Carlos, Megson, Puliis, Monk, Jos - all of them - sacked - for doing the hooooofball negative defensive nonsense

It's difficult because we lack a system; and players to play the system. It's been a steady decline for a while. 

I, like you remember the Wilko team of 84 - it had a system but didn't take that many passes. Sometimes you have to mix it up - try something new with the players within the squad.  

I really think we should look at a 3-4-3. Get Patteson with Harris and Windass each side - not just as wide midfielder but forwards. Say to BB, there you go, get the ball and make it work. You can site Hutch deep to protect the defence but the emphasis should be press the opposition in their half with two banks of mobile players.

I just don't think the CC 2015-17 style is suited to these players - they're not good enough.

14 minutes ago, Therealrealist said:

Our st holders wud have just left with a whimper in quiatness...they’ve all got that ‘we go again’ attitude...its always been the potd brigade who are more passionate and loud..you onl6 have to look at away games when the general sale mob are there..4K plus...it’s carnage...away games when it’s 2k and full of the massive points outfit...forest...rovrum...derby etc...it’s boring

That’s absolutely ridiculous. 

Yeh fans that turn up week in week out are rubbish and just stay quiet?

Like those fans that get tickets to most away games that sell out ? 

Guest Therealrealist
1 minute ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

That’s absolutely ridiculous. 

Yeh fans that turn up week in week out are rubbish and just stay quiet?

Like those fans that get tickets to most away games that sell out ? 

Since dc priced out the potd mob our atmos at home has been shocking...people are just there cus they have to be...and yes..the away games that sell out straight away...the low allocation grounds...always have the worse away day feel

20 minutes ago, Therealrealist said:

you obviously don't sit near me and my mate