BREAKING - Barry Bannan signs new contract till 2023

3 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

What's happened here is we have bent over to give a 31 year old a long contract. Dangerous and costly. 

However he is a good player and good guy so obviously at the moment that's all fine. But instead of investing money and wages into younger up and coming players we'll probably always prioritise this sort of deal. 

Like who?

Swap the Bannan deal to keep Shaw....Shaw is the new "Penney", who was the "new" Hirst" who was the old etc

Bannan is tried and trusted, he's a player that has more years in him. and a player that can help other youngsters come through

He is probably MOM 40% of the season according to folk who know more about football than any of us on here do..What on earth is the bloody problem with this piece of business?

Fans are assuming that we had to let Shaw go to keep Bannan..Wheres the sodding evidence?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, FreshOwl said:

Any evidence we’ve bent over?

I'm guessing. 

From listening to under the cosh it seems that when players hit a certain age, to secure a contract longer than 1 year can be tough even for good players. It seems to be a tjing between players that anything 2+ years in your 30s is very hard to get and is respected. I bet we wanted to do what we did to Fletcher but Baz either has a decent agent or made us think twice. To offer a 3 year deal to someone 31-32 is quite rare. Although, full respect to Barry he is a top bloke and also represents the club very well. 

• Like 1

Gosh. Wasn’t expecting that! I am pleased and it might inspire a bit of confidence in other players who we want to re sign. It also isn’t harmful in attracting new players. Clearly not all Wednesday fans are delighted judging on some of the comments on here but he is very well respected by many of his fellow professionals.

Im relieved and delighted to be honest. 
Plus I like the ‘we’ve got Bannan’ song!

• Like 2

Just now, TheEnchanter said:

I'm guessing. 

From listening to under the cosh it seems that when players hit a certain age, to secure a contract longer than 1 year can be tough even for good players. It seems to be a tjing between players that anything 2+ years in your 30s is very hard to get and is respected. I bet we wanted to do what we did to Fletcher but Baz either has a decent agent or made us think twice. To offer a 3 year deal to someone 31-32 is quite rare. Although, full respect to Barry he is a top bloke and also represents the club very well. 

he’s 31 and will be 33 when his contracts up. Hardly a pensioner, and I haven’t seen any evidence on the field to back up the claim he’s past it 

I get your viewpoint, though each players different 

• Like 1

Just now, asteener1867 said:

Like who?

Swap the Bannan deal to keep Shaw....Shaw is the new "Penney", who was the "new" Hirst" who was the old etc

Bannan is tried and trusted, he's a player that has more years in him. and a player that can help other youngsters come through

He is probably MOM 40% of the season according to folk who know more about football than any of us on here do..What on earth is the bloody problem with this piece of business?

Fans are assuming that we had to let Shaw go to keep Bannan..Wheres the sodding evidence?

Didn't necessarily mean that specifically. I meant in the future. If, like we were stuck with in recent seasons, you continue to re-sign older players and not investing in the squad it catches up with you. When was the last time we spent money/invested in the playing squad? A pinch here or there for Luongo, Windass or Iorfa perhaps but thats about it in the last several seasons. Money and wages seemed to be tied into our top heavy squad. 

1 minute ago, FreshOwl said:

he’s 31 and will be 33 when his contracts up. Hardly a pensioner, and I haven’t seen any evidence on the field to back up the claim he’s past it 

I get your viewpoint, though each players different 

Yeah absoloutely, actually adapting my point a little bit I thought we'd given him a 3 year contract because stupidly I keep thinking it's 2020 still. So 2 years is definitely a good deal for all parties in this situation. 

Wasn't expecting this.   I'm hoping it's not got any relegation release in it, or if it does not one for a low amount.

I know he's not getting any younger but you have to think he has 4 or 5 years in him at this level easily and that holds a value we can't afford to replace right now.

17 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

Where’s Sally?

Still think Bannan and Fletcher have the same level of loyalty?

Suppose you’ll need more proof.

Does it matter? They're footballers not fans, I'd f off to a different club if it suited me moneywise and personally. It's just the nature of the sport. 

Got to admire his loyalty 

Given his reputation as one of the better players in the championship he could have walked away to a better run club in the summer.  Does he know something is changing?  Or is he just happy with life and uncertainty of getting paid on time.  We shall see 

• Like 2