BREAKING - Barry Bannan signs new contract till 2023

A few things 

1) Good that he's signed

2) Hope he's ambitious during this contract

3) Inevitable announcement from the club to try and chill fans angry at the way the club's going

4) We've just tied down a 31 year old to a contract for a few more years - I hope we do the same with younger upcoming saleable players who can bring us huge profits if/when we sell them too

• Like 3

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, SiJ said:

Ok, let me flip it on you:

Why is he not loyal?

Great way to avoid the question 

As usual no one can answer the simple question 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Pinnacle for him now isn’t really playing in the Prem it’s taking us there after so long away. Not that that’s very probably either though...

Yeah I know I was replying to a post saying it was a bizarre decision as he said he wants to play in the prem. Think he knows this is probably as good as it's going to get for him. Captain of the club and won't be on peanuts. 

To be fair to him he’s said all season he wants to stay. I would like us to focus a little more on securing some of our talented youngsters to professional contracts but this is still positive news.

He’s only fairly recently turned 31 so it’s fair to say a two year contract is in the benefit of both player and the club.

1 minute ago, SiJ said:

Ok, let me flip it on you:

Why is he not loyal?

The loyalty thing is daft.

Bannan has his reasons to stay. Which probably are down to the fact - he’s bought a house in the area, he’s settled with a family now, he is club captain, he’s guaranteed to play every week, he’s towards the end of his career and just wants to play as much football as possible before retirement. He’s got a pretty good gig here. 

Bannan has stayed for his own personal reasons. But let’s not paint this as some incredible display of loyalty. Fair play to him for staying when things are crap off the pitch and on it, but his decision will be influenced by his own personal circumstances. 

Just now, asteener1867 said:

I'll answer it....

Because I seriously doubt he could not get a deal with a club above us in the Championship

Yeah, but they would have only offered him something he'd have turned down.

I'm using Sticky Micky logic here.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

A few things 

1) Good that he's signed

2) Hope he's ambitious during this contract

3) Inevitable announcement from the club to try and chill fans angry at the way the club's going

4) We've just tied down a 31 year old to a contract for a few more years - I hope we do the same with younger upcoming saleable players who can bring us huge profits if/when we sell them too

Point number 4 - we don’t. This is part of the problem. Why I’m struggling to lap this up as a good thing.

• Like 1