Tony Pulis on Liam Shaw

1 minute ago, Therealrealist said:

Gloating?? What are u talkin about? Im just showing as much concern as i did when that other boyhood lifelong super duper wednesday fan left...i wer right not to join the meltdown then..and im sure i will be right to not join this meltdown...thats all

You are joining in though

In the worst way possible

By mocking concerned Wednesday fans

Owlstalk Shop

2 minutes ago, Therealrealist said:

Gloating?? What are u talkin about? Im just showing as much concern as i did when that other boyhood lifelong super duper wednesday fan left...i wer right not to join the meltdown then..and im sure i will be right to not join this meltdown...thats all

You've not been proven right about Hirst at all though have you? 

He's 22 years old, theres still a hell of a lot of time left until you're proven right

• Like 1

Guest Therealrealist
6 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

You are joining in though

In the worst way possible

By mocking concerned Wednesday fans

Mocking??🙈..im just not concerned about shaw leaving..thats all..dont rate him that highly..and fwiw i think a lot if the 'outrage' seems a bit fakey

Guest Therealrealist
7 minutes ago, Gob_Bluth said:

You've not been proven right about Hirst at all though have you? 

He's 22 years old, theres still a hell of a lot of time left until you're proven right

22...i think he should be scoring goals by now tbh...im only goin to join a meltdown when i think its deserved...soz

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

Cameron Dawson was approached by Celtic a year or so ago

Dawson was our number one choice goalkeeper at the time

He could have took the offer up and gone to Celtic easily

Instead he signed a new contract with Chansiri

Chansiri then fired the managers and Dawson is now third choice, stuck in a dead end job in a dead end situation

And Liam Shaw will have seen all that unfold first hand

Dawson's performances did bring his current situation (injury aside) on though, i.e. loss of form ending at Rotherham. 

I don't feel firing the manager necessarily relates to that. 

I agree that its probably a lesson to Shaw that things can change very quickly though, so take the best offer or what you think is the best route when its presented, that i do agree. 

Hence its probably the wise choice for him to move. 

1 hour ago, mcmigo said:

I would love to play for Celtic.

Glasgow is a fantastic city, Scotland is probably the most beautiful country in the whole world, you get to play in Europe every season, and play in front of massive crowds at a fantastic stadium.

Only problem is there’s only 2 clubs that win the league in front of league 2 (Div 4) crowds.

If those two clubs were in England they would probably be average Championship clubs (ie big fish in little ponds) with hardly any opposition.

Sorry to see him go, would rather have put any money on offer to Bannan towards contracts for Shaw and Urhoghide.  That’s not to say I don’t rate Bannan, but I reckon the time is probably right for him to move on.  Ideally would like to see blend of youth and experience but our finances restrict us in this respect so I would come down in favour of youth.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Potential doesn’t manifest itself overnight and despite the fact he only started playing regularly for the first team this season, surely someone last season must have realised the great potential he has - so why on earth did we not offer him anything then? 

Finances clearly an issue and covid hasn’t helped that, but we’ve been able to offer contracts of the likes of kachunga and marriot - yes different positions but we clearly weren’t that strapped for cash. Yes wages have been slashed, but shaw will have been on peanuts compared to everyone else so I don’t see how hard it would have been even to offer him a better deal - but it would be interesting to know how much he’ll be on at celtic 

Absolute joke.

• Like 1

Guest Willow Owl
21 minutes ago, Therealrealist said:

22...i think he should be scoring goals by now tbh...im only goin to join a meltdown when i think its deserved...soz

Agree 100%, 

If we had given Hirst 10k ( conservative estimate) a week and a 3 year contract. That would have been 1.5 million wasted on potential. 
The same could have happened with Shaw. Has potential but barely played a dozen games for a struggling championship club. It would have been better to keep him but if bigger clubs offer more then so be it. Don’t get the meltdown over a 19 year old with potential. 

4 minutes ago, Willow Owl said:

Agree 100%, 

If we had given Hirst 10k ( conservative estimate) a week and a 3 year contract. That would have been 1.5 million wasted on potential. 
The same could have happened with Shaw. Has potential but barely played a dozen games for a struggling championship club. It would have been better to keep him but if bigger clubs offer more then so be it. Don’t get the meltdown over a 19 year old with potential. 

I don't think the meltdown is over the player, as such. 

More the fact  that, once more, we've left ourselves in a position to get our pants pulled down and take one right up the ricker. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Guest Willow Owl
1 minute ago, Sefton owl said:

Potential doesn’t manifest itself overnight and despite the fact he only started playing regularly for the first team this season, surely someone last season must have realised the great potential he has - so why on earth did we not offer him anything then? 

Finances clearly an issue and covid hasn’t helped that, but we’ve been able to offer contracts of the likes of kachunga and marriot - yes different positions but we clearly weren’t that strapped for cash. Yes wages have been slashed, but shaw will have been on peanuts compared to everyone else so I don’t see how hard it would have been even to offer him a better deal - but it would be interesting to know how much he’ll be on at celtic 

Absolute joke.

Or maybe his agent advised him to wait and see what is offered by entering the last six months of his contract. Shaw admitted in January that they had been in talks with the club and hoped it would get sorted. Obviously Celtic ( a bigger club) have offered a better deal.

It’s football it happens. Just shows how far we have dropped as a club though. 

1 hour ago, WalthamOwl said:

Pathetic from Chansiri and the club for not seeing the lads potential and getting a new contract sorted for him. Maybe if we had someone helping with the running of the club on a day to day basis we would have these things sorted much earlier and easier. 

Why wasnt this noticed by someone im the youth set up? Don't understand. Are we that unprofessional? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, English Man said:

Why wasnt this noticed by someone im the youth set up? Don't understand. Are we that unprofessional? 

How do you mean?

You mean someone in the youth set up should have endorsed Shaw for a first team place?

Or that Liam Shaw's contract was running out?

Owlstalk Shop

Guest Willow Owl
2 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

I don't think the meltdown is over the player, as such. 

More the fact  that, once more, we've left ourselves in a position to get our pants pulled down and take one right up the ricker. 

Yeah, agree to a point. I think the rule allowing players to sign a pre contract with 6 months left on their current deal needs changing, the compensation aspect stinks. Agents just advise them to hold out to see what’s on offer and because of Shaw’s potential other bigger clubs are always going to be in the driving seat because of the signing on fee and higher wages they can offer. 
Sad state, when we cannot compete. 

25 minutes ago, owlsruleok said:

Only problem is there’s only 2 clubs that win the league in front of league 2 (Div 4) crowds.

If those two clubs were in England they would probably be average Championship clubs (ie big fish in little ponds) with hardly any opposition.

load of nonsense, Rangers regularly turn over decent sides in Europe. 

• Like 1

I don't understand why we don't put more 'option' to extend into young players contracts. 

We've had that with Westwood in each of his last contracts (as hes mentioned in interviews) yet don't seemingly future proof the youngsters by having the same? 

Unless you're not allowed to do that, (which im 99%sure you can on all professional contracts) then its just madness.