Celtic agree personal terms with Liam Shaw

1 minute ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

No you misunderstood me, I don't think Shaw leaves cos he hates Wednesday and how they're treating him which is what is suggested by others. Obviously if he wants to leave they're offering better money. Playing 1st team football is better for development-which is what he's risking.

Why don't you start supporting Celtic too then? lol

Don’t think anyone is suggesting he hates Wednesday. We’re just face palming at the stupidity of our owner.  

From his perspective we’ve failed to tie him down long term and he now has the chance to speak to other clubs. How have we let it get to this situation?

All we’ve done this season is put an out of contract talented young player in the shop window for someone to sign for a fraction of what he could be worth if he was sold. 

Tell me more about your business credentials Chansiri. I can let you off the hook it happening once, but three times since you bought the club? 

• Like 2

I currently have a mental image of DC sat at a desk back in June, with a massive sheet of papers in a "to do" pile with Liam Shaw's contract renewal sitting about two-thirds of the way down stack. It's taken a while to work his way down to it around Christmas. 

By that time, he's no longer a kid with a half-dozen Vanarama appearances for Chesterfield and an hour for Wednesday, he's a kid with more than half-a-dozen appearances for Championship Sheffield Wednesday, barely half-a-dozen months left on his contract, and (in an age with every game livestreamed) probably about a dozen scouts watching him play every week. 

We obviously don't know details, but it doesn't take much imagination to figure that the negotiations would have been far easier had we engaged in them in summer. A one-year extension and a pay rise of a few hundred quid a week?... most kids in that position would probably snap your hand off. It's still a relative unknown whether your professional level will end up being Championship standard, or if your loan to the Conference will actually end up being the level you settle at. But once you start battling in the Champ and the scouts are sniffing, and you're provisionally showing yourself to be at the very least a decent turnout for any League One team (Exeter... one of best players on the pitch)... well, supply and demand. Never mind how torrid and toxic everything else around the club is right now.

This is yet another instance where a Director of Football would have prevented so much hardship. I bet Liam Shaw's contract was nowhere near DC's mind back in August. But of course, we need to wait for Dear Leader to sign off on everything.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Gob_Bluth said:

They'll have sold him to the premier league before he's 23 for an absolute fortune

And we would get a very nice sell on fee in that case. 

And a fee of 5% for his 2nd transfer before he's 23, 4% for his 3rd transfer etc 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Minton said:

Thanks for the correction. 

He's probably still paid in full though, I doubt he'll be on more than £1k pw as a academy graduate. 

Next to nothing compared to what we have wasted money on. If we'd have offered him another year on similar terms last summer when he was likely to be involved in the squad more but unlikely to be on anyone else's radar at that time he would probably have accepted it and we wouldn't be in this situation now. 

Just now, Minton said:

And a fee of 5% for his 2nd transfer before he's 23, 4% for his 3rd transfer etc 

It would have been so much better to get 100% though wouldn’t it?

1 minute ago, Minton said:

I mean it's better than a kick in the knackers but nowhere near as good as 100% of the fee

11 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

I don't think he's anywhere near the level of their first team, he's been ok in a poor Wednesday side and still makes plenty of mistakes. Looks to have something about him but I think some people are getting carried away.

Oh, he's got a way to go. No doubt. But I wouldn't be surprised to see him involved in a squad. 

He's a young lad finding his feet in the game. 

I just think he'd be better finding them up there in a well run,  winning culture. Than here. 

Put it this way. 

Wednesday fan or not. If he were my lad I'd be man handling onto the train myself!

It's either the groundman's fault or the tea lady because I don't think there is anyone else at the club on a daily basus.

Even the last manager, no matter how bad he was, didn't know who to get in touch with.

At least we now know why Pulis decided to walk, he must have been told there was no tea and he wouldn't be getting any tea at the beginning of January.

However, if he waited until the end of the transfer window he might get some old tea bags for a month or two.

• Haha 1

Guest domSWFC

Good luck to the lad. Can't blame him at all. Playing Champions League football, challenging for titles, at a very successful and well run club.

If our circus paid players in full and was run more like a football club maybe we could have kept hold of him. 

1 minute ago, Nostalgic Owl said:

I think the issue is we didnt offer a contract so we get no fee and no sell on fee in future.

While we are ******** broke and staring into abyss.

And the fact we dont learn lessons.

Even if Shaw doesnt become a world beater the inevitable fizz up is infuriating.

We get 300k as a mandatory youth training fee - thanks Uefa/Fifa

😐