Liam Shaw in advanced talks with Celtic

7 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

He is soooooo far off being a premier league player

He doesn’t even look like a Championship regular yet

Disagree with that. I think this lad will have a really good career. Looks a proper player. Agree on the Premier League thing, but ticks some many boxes for the modern day player. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

He is soooooo far off being a premier league player

He doesn’t even look like a Championship regular yet

Hence a no risk buy a d a loan, how many top clubs send players out to league one, then the championship before they make a decision in the player?

Buy him for peanuts now, send to someone like Donny for the rest of this season, then to a championship club next season...

Guest hirstysfags
37 minutes ago, Ronnie Starling said:

Which of our current crop of "superstars" look like Championship players?

It's not about them though

48 minutes ago, vulva said:

Disagree with that. I think this lad will have a really good career. Looks a proper player. Agree on the Premier League thing, but ticks some many boxes for the modern day player. 

I think he has many of the raw bits and pieces, which is why I'd like to see how he develops over a couple of years...but having said that there is a definite ponderousness (ponderosity?) to his game on too many occasions to give me total confidence he has what it takes. I haven't yet been able to work out whether that's his speed of thought or something more technical.

It's one thing doing a maradona turn and playing a pass against Exeter in a cup game, but it's an absolute world away from doing it regularly in the Championship. To say he supposedly has such great feet, I find his first touch under pressure lacking on a regular basis.

So I would definitely like to see him stay and develop, but I also wouldn't cry if he left and we got some compensation...

Just now, McRightSide said:

I think he has many of the raw bits and pieces, which is why I'd like to see how he develops over a couple of years...but having said that there is a definite ponderousness (ponderosity?) to his game on too many occasions to give me total confidence he has what it takes. I haven't yet been able to work out whether that's his speed of thought or something more technical.

It's one thing doing a maradona turn and playing a pass against Exeter in a cup game, but it's an absolute world away from doing it regularly in the Championship. To say he supposedly has such great feet, I find his first touch under pressure lacking on a regular basis.

So I would definitely like to see him stay and develop, but I also wouldn't cry if he left and we got some compensation...

You realise if he moves to Celtic the compensation will barely cover Rhodes wages for a week?

• Like 3

I think a lot of posts miss the point.

Its a long time since I have seen a lad come through the academy and thought 'we might have a real good un here'. With Dawson, Wildsmith,  Hunt, Clare, etc going back years you can see potential but it was a long shot.

Shaw seems different, Its exciting to think that we may see him blossom into a player we all want to watch. It was a reason to look forward to going back. He seems to have got that temperament and confidence about him. 

The point is I might be wrong, he might not make it. But one of the biggest thrills as a football fan is seeing one of your own make it. It invigorates the club and the fans. Even if we sell him in a couple of years we can all proudly watch his career blossom.

If by some absolutely terrible decision making in the club by Chansiri and including managers who couldn't see what Pulis saw, I miss out on the opportunity of seeing Shaw rise or fall it makes me question what I am 'supporting'.

Final straws and all that and I see some pretty sensible posters feel exactly the same way.

• Like 7

22 minutes ago, Nero said:

Its a long time since I have seen a lad come through the academy and thought 'we might have a real good un here'. With Dawson, Wildsmith,  Hunt, Clare, etc going back years you can see potential but it was a long shot.

Shaw seems different, Its exciting to think that we may see him blossom into a player we all want to watch. It was a reason to look forward to going back. He seems to have got that temperament and confidence about him. 

The point is I might be wrong, he might not make it. But one of the biggest thrills as a football fan is seeing one of your own make it. It invigorates the club and the fans. Even if we sell him in a couple of years we can all proudly watch his career blossom.

If by some absolutely terrible decision making in the club by Chansiri and including managers who couldn't see what Pulis saw, I miss out on the opportunity of seeing Shaw rise or fall it makes me question what I am 'supporting'.

Final straws and all that and I see some pretty sensible posters feel exactly the same way.

Indeed and I bet Dc will offered a few grand a week on a one year deal.

The problem for the last 6 years, there is no route for a good under 18 into the first team, because we have useless coaches to develop the players, send none out to get league football under their belt, then when the odd one shows signs of a possible first team player, we offer them a 1 year or 18 month deal, offer him a deal on £5,000 a week for 4 years would cost a million quid, but within a few years if his development continues he could make us 10 times that figure.

Instead we offer £40k a week to a bloke to never play, he costs us £2m a season to never play or do anything other than sit in the stands and every so often on the bench.

Nothing has changed or will as long as DC is here, any good young player with a prospect will be badly managed and either released or lost to other teams that can see the potential and value of youth.

And don't get me started of this madness of allowing players to get into the last 6 months of deals, no player should get to less than a year unless they plan to retire, if you want them you resign them, if you don't you have at least 2 transfer windows to sell them.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Nero said:

Excellent post.