Liam Shaw in advanced talks with Celtic

4 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

It’s not my job to offer him a new contract or big him up.  You’d hope the club have a plan in place to ensure this type of thing doesn’t happen. That’s the problem - it’s not about whether Shaw turns out to be crap or turns out to be good.

Its the fact we had this situation with Hirst and the chairman has simply not learnt. It’s no way to run a business letting players constantly run down their contracts. And people wonder why we had a points deduction and successive transfer embargo’s. 

*bangs head against table for a third time today*

So basically what you're saying is that we should offer contracts to every Tom, ******** and Harry just on the off chance they might turn out good. Good plan Batman.

Just now, Hitcat said:

So basically what you're saying is that we should offer contracts to every Tom, ******** and Harry just on the off chance they might turn out good. Good plan Batman.

Not what I’m saying at all. Weird conclusion to draw.

Shaw was a first team player at 18. Training with the squad and involved in the matchday squads. He has all the attributes to be a good player. He captained the U’18s to a title victory 2 years ago. 

But yeah I agree let him run down his contract and spend the money on the likes of Kachunga, Marriott and Brown who can’t even get a game. 

We should go with your logic mate. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Agreed mate. Shaw was a bright spark in a horrific season. We soon manage to F it up and it becomes a negative.

It was only last month that you called him an idiot who wasn't ready for first team football! 

Just now, hirstyboywonder said:

It was only last month that you called him an idiot who wasn't ready for first team football! 

And he bounced back tremendously from that and I gave him credit for proving me wrong. He was quickly becoming a bright spark and we’ve managed to put that spark out in the space of a few weeks

We mixed up our priorities as we paid fortune for wages of number of very average players with zero resale value while we've been so tight on young talent that could have earned us good money in the future. 

If we Agreed to terms of 10 Liam Shaw's we would earn decent money if one of those 10 turns good. 

I think our owner got advised by people who don't have best interest of our club in their harts. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Not what I’m saying at all. Weird conclusion to draw.

Shaw was a first team player at 18. Training with the squad and involved in the matchday squads. He has all the attributes to be a good player. He captained the U’18s to a title victory 2 years ago. 

But yeah I agree let him run down his contract and spend the money on the likes of Kachunga, Marriott and Brown who can’t even get a game. 

We should go with your logic mate. 

Lots of youth players have been training with the first team and made their debuts around the time Shaw did... Doubt you'd bat an eyelid if any of them were thinking of leaving..

• Like 1

Just now, SallyCinnamon said:

And he bounced back tremendously from that and I gave him credit for proving me wrong. He was quickly becoming a bright spark and we’ve managed to put that spark out in the space of a few weeks

Since you called him an idiot and labelled him not ready for first team football he has started 4 games at this level, enough to make you completely change your mind?!

2 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

I'm sure Liam is over the moon that he proved you wrong... So tell me, if he'd left immediately after that game would you have been all that bothered? Like hell you would.

3 minutes ago, Hitcat said:

I'm sure Liam is over the moon that he proved you wrong... So tell me, if he'd left immediately after that game would you have been all that bothered? Like hell you would.

Of course I would ffs. We shouldn’t be losing young prospects in and around the first team for nowt. What aren’t you getting? 

6 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Since you called him an idiot and labelled him not ready for first team football he has started 4 games at this level, enough to make you completely change your mind?!

Christ you’re missing the point, not for the first time. It’s not about whether Shaw turns out to be a good player or a bad player. It’s about the principle and how yet again we’ve let it get to this stage. 

How are people not seeing the bigger picture at play? 

5 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

I don’t think you’re seeing the bigger picture mate. We should be VERY concerned that yet again the club has failed to tie down the contract of a promising young player. A player who we could have sold for good money further down the line.

This is the another indication that the chairman is out of his depth. And more worryingly hasn’t learnt from the first time this happened.

The bigger picture is we are in danger of going out of business. Whether we Shaw goes or not. The selling of the stadium was the start of that spiral that will  very likely leave us homeless . 

Just now, Big Jack said:

The bigger picture is we are in danger of going out of business. Whether we Shaw goes or not. The selling of the stadium was the start of that spiral that will  very likely leave us homeless . 

Yes and making sure players like Shaw were tied down for the possibility of resale,  would have helped hugely if we are in threat of going bust. 

• Love 1

8 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Christ you’re missing the point, not for the first time. It’s not about whether Shaw turns out to be a good player or a bad player. It’s about the principle and how yet again we’ve let it get to this stage. 

How are people not seeing the bigger picture at play? 

To be fair I can see the big picture and agree that he should have been tied down by now, an extra year should have been sorted in the summer when it became clear he was going to be more involved in the first team squad.

The way you are going off in this thread though, anyone would think you have been championing his career and have always seen what Celtic are allegedly interested in now when the reality is you thought he should have been nowhere near the first team just 4 appearances ago.