Liam Shaw in advanced talks with Celtic

1 hour ago, SallyCinnamon said:

It will be the final nail in the coffin for me under this regime. That’ll be me done. If fans are allowed back the only thing that would keep me going is my old man. If he is still interested - I’ll go for him. But I can’t support this chairman and his reckless running of this club anymore. 

I couid have written this post myself. 

Not putting my 9 year old through it anymore. I'll only go if my Dad wants to. If not, I'm out until things drastically change.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Can you please give some examples of clubs of a similar stature to us where this has happened? Arsenal is an unrealistic comparison and even then you’re comparing a 30 year old Aaron Ramsey with over 200 games for Arsenal with a 19 year old Liam Shaw just starting his career in football.

I will give you an of  a club in a similar situation to us.

Alex Mighten of Nottingham Forest. Played a handful of games for the first team, similar to Shaw, and signed a long term deal last summer his contract was set to expire in 2022 but Forest made sure they got him tied down long term to prevent other clubs sniffing around and ensure if he does leave they get a decent fee.https://www.nottinghamforest.co.uk/news/2020/august/alex-mighten-signs-new-contract-at-nottingham-forest/

This is how it’s done. 

Like we did with Dawson & Wildsmith?

1 hour ago, 83owl said:

The amount of games is irrelevant, as is how good he will end up being. He may end up a PL player or he may end up being crap. We don’t know yet.

It’s the fact that we are happy to throw around 10’s of thousands a week on past It crock players and give other players pay rises after they’ve spat their dummy out yet we can’t get our house in order to tie down a player who at this point has shown good potential. 

DC then complains about how the big bad efl are taking points away from us for breaching ffp and we are complaining because DC can’t afford to either pay for decent players or even pay the players we have on time because his trust funds running out.

He's shown potential since Christmas.

1 minute ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Like we did with Dawson & Wildsmith?

Fair play we did it with Wildsmith. Then proceeded not to play him or loan him out for game time only last season was he recalled to the side. And this season has played his fair share with due to Westwood absence and Dawson injury. 

We offered Dawson a new 5 year deal at the age of 24.

Given goalkeepers generally don’t cost as much as outfield players (at our level indeed) it seems foolish to have tied these two down but then completely forget about the talented outfield lads we have. They’re the ones who can really improve the team or go on for decent money. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blueandwhitematt said:

But it speaks to so much more, and whether Shaw goes on to make it at the top level or not is kind of only a small point of the saga.

This is the third instance where we're going to let a 'promising' (and I use that word loosely for the first two as I don't actually think they were much good, but I do believe it applies to Shaw) young lad go for peanuts.  One of the primary aims of our academy, for a club in our financial situation at least, should be to produce players capable of either playing in the first team or being sold on for a decent fee.  Instead we've let his contract run down to its final year, then thrust him into the first team and then straight into the shop window.  We don't even have a manager in place or even on the horizon who can try and give him assurances about his future here, how he would help develop him etc.  Its a complete shambles.

We don't know how a player will react to first team football until they play first team football. As I've said in a previous post, he's shown promise since Christmas, that's all and it's only been noticed because he's in the first team. Where are all the threads raving about him in the U23s and U18s? Go on any forum whether it's Man U, Chelsea or Ipswich and they rave about the kids that are ripping up the youth leagues. 

2 hours ago, pazowl55 said:

But they got in a position where he went on a free didn't he. It happens at other clubs where they leave it to the last minute to sign up their best talent is what I am getting at.

It was public knowledge Arsenal had been in talks with Ramsey well before the Juve move.

He wanted way more than Arsenal could pay him and Juve offered him way more than anyone else was willing to.

We're talking about a youth prospect, who we should have known had some potential and we've left it too late to tie him down.

He should have been offered a long term deal before the season started if we thought he may be around the first team, even if it was only to fill the bench. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Hitcat said:

We don't know how a player will react to first team football until they play first team football. As I've said in a previous post, he's shown promise since Christmas, that's all and it's only been noticed because he's in the first team. Where are all the threads raving about him in the U23s and U18s? Go on any forum whether it's Man U, Chelsea or Ipswich and they rave about the kids that are ripping up the youth leagues. 

Should we not have bothered offering him a contract last season when he broke into the first team under Monk?

Letting his contract run down was the right course of action? 

6 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Should we not have bothered offering him a contract last season when he broke into the first team under Monk?

Letting his contract run down was the right course of action? 

He played few times under Monk after a less than convincing loan spell at Chesterfield. Yeah, let's just throw him a contract...

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Hitcat said:

He played few times under Monk after a less than convincing loan spell at Chesterfield. Yeah, let's just throw him a contract...

So we should let a young prospect run down his contract, got ya.

We’ve basically put him in the shop window this season for other clubs to poach and the best part is we won’t get a fee for him! Fantastic, great business move. 

• Like 1

Just now, SallyCinnamon said:

So we should let a young prospect run down his contract, got ya.

We’ve basically put him in the shop window this season for other clubs to poach and the best part is we won’t get a fee for him! Fantastic, great business move. 

Eh? He's a young prospect who's only recently shown his potential. Can't recall any thread on here raving about how good young Liam Shaw is. In fact the opposite. After his sending off a few months ago, most people on here were saying he shouldn't be anywhere near the first team. Enjoy your meltdown.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Hitcat said:

Basically what I have been saying the last three hours. I can understand why the club didn't offer him a new contract in the summer as he wasn't pulling up trees in the u23s. Doesn't mean he didn't show promise, just not enough to be singled out for a new contract when he still had a year to run. They wanted to see how he progressed. 

As it turned out they got it badly wrong.

Edited by pazowl55
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Hitcat said:

Eh? He's a young prospect who's only recently shown his potential. Can't recall any thread on here raving about how good young Liam Shaw is. In fact the opposite. After his sending off a few months ago, most people on here were saying he shouldn't be anywhere near the first team. Enjoy your meltdown.

It’s not my job to offer him a new contract or big him up.  You’d hope the club have a plan in place to ensure this type of thing doesn’t happen. That’s the problem - it’s not about whether Shaw turns out to be crap or turns out to be good.

Its the fact we had this situation with Hirst and the chairman has simply not learnt. It’s no way to run a business letting players constantly run down their contracts. And people wonder why we had a points deduction and successive transfer embargo’s. 

*bangs head against table for a third time today*

3 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Basically what I have been saying the last three hours. I can't understand why the club didn't offer him a new contract in the summer as he wasn't pulling up trees in the u23s. Doesn't mean he didn't show promise, just not enough to be singled out for a new contract when he still had a year to run. They wanted to see how he progressed. 

It happens all the time, it's not just our club.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Basically what I have been saying the last three hours. I can't understand why the club didn't offer him a new contract in the summer as he wasn't pulling up trees in the u23s. Doesn't mean he didn't show promise, just not enough to be singled out for a new contract when he still had a year to run. They wanted to see how he progressed. 

And that is exactly the problem ffs. Why are we getting it wrong on every single bloody aspect of how we operate.

*explodes. Time to switch off*

• Like 1

These kind of stories are pretty gutting for fans. 

A few weeks ago he was the one highlight of an awful season, yet its quickly turned into another reason for despair. 

Not sure what the answer is anymore. Surely the owner must recognise what he is allowing to happen...

Having a decent manager in place and letting him do his job would help solve things like this. 

He has allowed Paxo to ruin the club. 

• Like 1

Just now, Beholder said:

These kind of stories are pretty gutting for fans. 

A few weeks ago he was the one highlight of an awful season, yet its quickly turned into another reason for despair. 

Not sure what the answer is anymore. Surely the owner must recognise what he is allowing to happen...

Having a decent manager in place and letting him do his job would help solve things like this. 

He has allowed Paxo to ruin the club. 

Agreed mate. Shaw was a bright spark in a horrific season. We soon manage to F it up and it becomes a negative.