Liam Shaw in advanced talks with Celtic

12 minutes ago, shandypants said:

It all depends if he sees the long or short term picture.  He could stay with us, play games and develop a career; or go to Celtic, warm the bench, get a bit of coin before joining Sean "Flair" Clare at Oxford United and embarking on a career scratching around League 1 and 2.  Celtic play, maybe, eight challenging games in total each season against Rangers and Hibs and then steam roll the other dog 5h1t sides in the Scottish Prem.  If Shaw joins Celtic, I can't see him playing regularly; never mind in the big games.  If he goes, he goes but he'd be a fool to go to that League.  

A four year contract at Celtic would make him a millionare, takes some turning down

2 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

But they got in a position where he went on a free didn't he. It happens at other clubs where they leave it to the last minute to sign up their best talent is what I am getting at.

Can you please give some examples of clubs of a similar stature to us where this has happened? Arsenal is an unrealistic comparison and even then you’re comparing a 30 year old Aaron Ramsey with over 200 games for Arsenal with a 19 year old Liam Shaw just starting his career in football.

I will give you an of  a club in a similar situation to us.

Alex Mighten of Nottingham Forest. Played a handful of games for the first team, similar to Shaw, and signed a long term deal last summer his contract was set to expire in 2022 but Forest made sure they got him tied down long term to prevent other clubs sniffing around and ensure if he does leave they get a decent fee.https://www.nottinghamforest.co.uk/news/2020/august/alex-mighten-signs-new-contract-at-nottingham-forest/

This is how it’s done. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, overlandandsea said:

Wednesdayite or not I wouldn't blame him for leaving. This club will only ruin his career. Be a huge shame though but weve shot ourselves in the foot not sorting his contract out earlier. 

Surely it's in the players and agents interest to let the contract run down, especially if the agent is aware that he has decent prospect on his hands.  I don't think the clubs can be blamed for this.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hitcat said:

Don't get me wrong, I'd be disappointed to lose him. But, this mini meltdown over a player who's barely played a dozen games for us is laughable.

The amount of games is irrelevant, as is how good he will end up being. He may end up a PL player or he may end up being crap. We don’t know yet.

It’s the fact that we are happy to throw around 10’s of thousands a week on past It crock players and give other players pay rises after they’ve spat their dummy out yet we can’t get our house in order to tie down a player who at this point has shown good potential. 

DC then complains about how the big bad efl are taking points away from us for breaching ffp and we are complaining because DC can’t afford to either pay for decent players or even pay the players we have on time because his trust funds running out.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Can you please give some examples of clubs of a similar stature to us where this has happened? Arsenal is an unrealistic comparison and even then you’re comparing a 30 year old Aaron Ramsey with over 200 games for Arsenal with a 19 year old Liam Shaw just starting his career in football.

I will give you an of  a club in a similar situation to us.

Alex Mighten of Nottingham Forest. Played a handful of games for the first team, similar to Shaw, and signed a long term deal last summer his contract was set to expire in 2022 but Forest made sure they got him tied down long term to prevent other clubs sniffing around and ensure if he does leave they get a decent fee.https://www.nottinghamforest.co.uk/news/2020/august/alex-mighten-signs-new-contract-at-nottingham-forest/

This is how it’s done. 

Send that to Chansiri then, not me.

lol

We should be doing that. But we didn't. 

Perhaps our poor coaching team didn't see his potential till it was to late who knows.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, hirstysfags said:

Every other week. The other weekend is in the wastelands of Strathclyde or somewhere.

And next season it will be Oxford, Gillingham and Rochdale!

Liam Shaw won't be a Sheffield Wednesday player next season and neither will any of the other out of contract players.

Guest hirstysfags
1 minute ago, jonnyowl said:

And next season it will be Oxford, Gillingham and Rochdale!

Liam Shaw won't be a Sheffield Wednesday player next season and neither will any of the other out of contract players.

My point is that it won't be every week as someone said.

16 minutes ago, Hitcat said:

Don't get me wrong, I'd be disappointed to lose him. But, this mini meltdown over a player who's barely played a dozen games for us is laughable.

But it speaks to so much more, and whether Shaw goes on to make it at the top level or not is kind of only a small point of the saga.

This is the third instance where we're going to let a 'promising' (and I use that word loosely for the first two as I don't actually think they were much good, but I do believe it applies to Shaw) young lad go for peanuts.  One of the primary aims of our academy, for a club in our financial situation at least, should be to produce players capable of either playing in the first team or being sold on for a decent fee.  Instead we've let his contract run down to its final year, then thrust him into the first team and then straight into the shop window.  We don't even have a manager in place or even on the horizon who can try and give him assurances about his future here, how he would help develop him etc.  Its a complete shambles.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

9 minutes ago, Kevan said:

This situation is JUST ONE of numerous examples which clearly illustrate that Chansiri has learned absolutely nothing in 5 (or is it more) years at the club.

Naivety doesn't even come close!  He admits at the start that he knows nothing about football.  We have one successful and entertaining season (when the panel of guys experienced in football were advising / operating the recruitment system), then one by one they all leave and Chansiri is left with an "advisor" whose main (possibly only) priority is to line is own pockets.  We can all see this from a distance - so why can't Chansiri see it for himself, when clearly it's happening under his nose?

Then we have the fictitious sponsors, the new kit debacle, the spending of ridiculous money on players who never play, the illegal accounting farce and as a result, the points deduction.  If this was in a fictional novel, it's reviews would say it's too far fetched!

Quite how we can get rid of him, I really have no idea.  Unfortunately unless either the EFL decide he's not a fit and proper person to own / run a club (which we all know is the truth), or administration comes along, - he still, despite everything holds all the cards.

Like others, I have followed / supported this club for decades.  In my case since 1965 and it sticks in my throat that we are now in the worst position we have ever been (not from a league position perhaps), but definitely from the point of view of the financial position and the morale of the club and the supporters.   Also like others, my enthusiasm for this club with it's wonderful history, is now as a result of Chansiri's mismanagement, at an all time low.

Excellent post

Couldnt have put it better 

9 minutes ago, Nero said:

If this happens.....

I don't want to be hasty and overreact but if we can't sign up a young hungry talented Wednesday through and through lad like this.

Whats the point? 

It will be the final nail in the coffin for me under this regime. That’ll be me done. If fans are allowed back the only thing that would keep me going is my old man. If he is still interested - I’ll go for him. But I can’t support this chairman and his reckless running of this club anymore. 

• Like 3