Liam Shaw in advanced talks with Celtic

Just now, Morepork said:

Thompsons language in Dom's latest Tweets does not sound promising. Very non-committal, towing the party line. I don't think its a lost cause but the Celtic interest seems very real to me. 

Yeah. He’s not been on the grass is a very non-commital turn of phrase. Doesn’t say he’s injured. Could not be on the grass for a number of reasons.

"Morning Liam, thank you for joining me on Zoom to discuss your new contract"

"Morning Mr. Chansiri"

"There's no need for such formalities Liam.  Right, I hear you're considering not signing a new deal here and going somewhere called Celtic, is that right?  Can't be that big a club, we never play them and I don't think they are in the Premier League either, sounds a bit daft to me."

"Well yes, I'm just seeing what else is out there.  If we can iron a few things out though, I'll consider staying on here."

"Music to my ears Liam, go on, what's ailing you?"

"I'm a bit worried about signing a new deal without a manager being in place.  What if he decides he doesn't like me, my face doesn't fit, isn't good for my development?"

"Liam, we're offering you a 4 year deal.  You should know by now that at this club that means you will come across a good 12 managers during that time.  There's bound to be AT LEAST a couple that you'll get on with.  Come on, be reasonable here."

"Erm, OK.  Well also, I'm concerned about us getting relegated and playing in League 1 next season.  I'm willing to commit to staying next season, but if we don't come back up next year, would you allow me to seek a transfer to continue my development at a higher level?"

"How long have you been here now Liam?  You know we don't sell players, we're one big happy family, why would you insult me by asking such a thing.  Anything else?"

"Riiiight.  Well, football aside, what about the finances.  There are better offers elsewhere, and other clubs have also promised to do this thing I'd not heard of before where they make sure I'm paid in full and on time every month.  Do you have anything you can offer that is attractive in that regards?"

"Sorry Liam, your connection dropped out just then.  Erm, anything else."

"Mr Chansiri, just what is the plan here that you are asking me to commit my future to?"

"Liam, I know what I'm doing.  There is a plan, I've just not decided what it is yet.  But rest assured, its a good 'un.  Look at my track record, have you heard of a thing called "Cakeball"?........ Liam, Liam?  You still there Liam?"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Yeah. He’s not been on the grass is a very non-commital turn of phrase. Doesn’t say he’s injured. Could not be on the grass for a number of reasons.

Mmmm, all the "its an ongoing situation..." comments are very vague too. That said, given the way DC works I doubt NT is fully in the picture. I just think if your going to throw a staff member in front of the press at least do them the courtesy of updating them on the ongoing situations of interest.

• Like 1

I'm not sure that a move to Celtic is best for Shaw but if he wants to maximise his potential then he needs to get away from Wednesday ASAP. 

If the club wasn't so toxic and lacking in ambition then I'd say that he should stay. But as things are so bad at the club under Chansiri then Shaw needs to leave. 

2 hours ago, Gob_Bluth said:

You realise if he moves to Celtic the compensation will barely cover Rhodes wages for a week?

But they are only really showing an interest on that basis aren't they? If he was tied down to a longer contract they wouldn't be entertaining paying a bigger fee. 

23 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

It’s not whether Shaw is going to go on to be the next Steven Gerrard or the next Sean Clare.

It’s the fact we might be letting another promising young player walk away for free. It’s the fact we can’t keep a boyhood Wednesday fan at the club. It’s the fact DC is repeating the same mistake we went through with Hirst.

Why aren’t people seeing the bigger picture? 

Still think a mistake was made with Hirst.? And who were the promising players you are talking about?

Just now, pioowl said:

Still think a mistake was made with Hirst.? And who were the promising players you are talking about?

Yes absolutely a mistake was made with Hirst. We turned down a bid of £2m and then let him leave at the end of his contract for absolutely nothing, zero compensation. 

Sean Clare another one we could have made profit on but we didn’t. 

Not arsed if they go on to be world beaters or not. More arsed our business model is let players run down their contract and lose them for nothing. And we blame the EFL for giving us a points deduction. 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

But they are only really showing an interest on that basis aren't they? If he was tied down to a longer contract they wouldn't be entertaining paying a bigger fee. 

Celtic are a selling club, they buy players to move on ultimately. If they see value in the market, they're going to go for it

If Celtic with their great recent past record at developing and selling on players are thinking of investing in his future for a potential huge fee, then I think its maybe maybe has a little bit of merit behind it.

5 minutes ago, pioowl said:

I really don't think we made a mistake with Hirst. The club offered him what they thought he was worth, he turned it down and moved on. He can't get into Rotherhams first eleven.

Edited by MallorcaOwl

1 minute ago, MallorcaOwl said:

I really don't think we made a mistake with Hirst. The club offered him what they thought he was worth, he turned it down and moved on. He can't get into Rotherhams first eleven.

So it made financial sense to turn down 2 million, sit him out for over a year and let him leave for nothing?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Yes absolutely a mistake was made with Hirst. We turned down a bid of £2m and then let him leave at the end of his contract for absolutely nothing, zero compensation. 

Sean Clare another one we could have made profit on but we didn’t. 

Not arsed if they go on to be world beaters or not. More arsed our business model is let players run down their contract and lose them for nothing. And we blame the EFL for giving us a points deduction. 

Nail on the head.

If the academy is not:

a) producing first team quality players, or

b) producing players we can sell on for a profit we can invest in the first team

we might as well just shut it down and save the money. We have seen no benefits from it in 20 years. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, wiggy said:

Nail on the head.

If the academy is not:

a) producing first team quality players, or

b) producing players we can sell on for a profit we can invest in the first team

we might as well just shut it down and save the money. We have seen no benefits from it in 20 years. 

Our squad V Everton included 8 players that have been involved in the academy in some form, would have been 9 had Shaw been available. Our current predicament suggests we might be more reliant on such players in the future so I don't think now is a good time to suggest shutting it down.  

1 hour ago, Gob_Bluth said:

Celtic are a selling club, they buy players to move on ultimately. If they see value in the market, they're going to go for it

If Celtic with their great recent past record at developing and selling on players are thinking of investing in his future for a potential huge fee, then I think its maybe maybe has a little bit of merit behind it.

He'll do well, then sign for Southampton and a couple of years later it'll be a multi million signing for Liverpool hailed as "the new Steven Gerrard" or else He'll be crap at Celtic 😄

1 hour ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Our squad V Everton included 8 players that have been involved in the academy in some form, would have been 9 had Shaw been available. Our current predicament suggests we might be more reliant on such players in the future so I don't think now is a good time to suggest shutting it down.  

Wasn’t suggesting we close the doors tomorrow. 

But out of those 8/9 how many do you think will get a chance to progress with the first team given the way we operate currently? 

I can’t think of too many in the last 20 years we’ve produced who have gone on to play big roles in the first team. (Palmer, Spurr, Wood, Beevers off the top of my head)

For how much investment. 

I am a big advocate for bringing the youth on, but it’s clearly not working how we are doing it. It hasn’t been for some time. 

4 minutes ago, wiggy said:

Wasn’t suggesting we close the doors tomorrow. 

But out of those 8/9 how many do you think will get a chance to progress with the first team given the way we operate currently? 

I can’t think of too many in the last 20 years we’ve produced who have gone on to play big roles in the first team. (Palmer, Spurr, Wood, Beevers off the top of my head)

For how much investment. 

I am a big advocate for bringing the youth on, but it’s clearly not working how we are doing it. It hasn’t been for some time. 

Yeah, it's not working because we haven't looked to rely on it, we might have to in the near future though, needs must. More are being used now because we lost so many first team players through expired contracts in the summer and we will be in a similar situation at the end of this season. 

Very little in terms of our recruitment & development has made sense recently but it could be a case of needs must now forcing our hand in this respect.