Penney

5 minutes ago, Ante's Bubbly said:

Hi Malek, regarding Crewe, what do you reckon to their young left back Harry Pickering? Do you think he could do a good job for Sheffield Wednesday? If so do you think we stand a chance of signing him, or is it just press talk?

Hi Ante, 

As I wrote in his thread. He is a cultured left back with great left peg who made bit of reputation for his set piece, both direct and indrect ones. Concern is how well he will defend at this level as it wasn't his strong point in League One as well. Again, his whole career he played in a passing side that played from the back and looked to keep possession. Big question how he will adapt to football that we tend to play. I like him, but it would be an educated guess if he will be able to make a step up. 

It seems that he wants to leave, but who can say if we are really interested. I really hope that we are. 

6 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

I am not trying to judge how big a fan you are, just stating that I would find it strange that a Wednesday fan would choose to watch someone else over us, but as you say, that's your decision.

Fair enough on the St Pauli point, I could see why you think I am getting at you in that respect and I apologise, you are right, no need for it. 

Thanks and sorry for my reaction as well. 

Just now, shezzas left peg said:

Just a thought, but monk, pullis and Bruce don't exactly play a style of football that suits penney. 

All three are very defensive minded coaches, Penney isn't probably up to their standard defensively, hence wasn't picked by them. 

That's no doubt the issues with his game others have mentioned come in. 

He didn't look strong enough under jos and would get cought out ball watching or out of position. I'm not disputing the fact jos shuffled him everywhere, so was maybe a little cindmfused at times, but for me those seem to be his weaknesses, both are generally cured by age and more game time. 

I liked what I saw when he broke into the team under Jos and agree that the fact he was then moved around different positions that season certainly didn't help. In that respect I was a little surprised when he chose to team up with Jos again in Germany rather than wait to see if Bullen, or our next manager who wasn't known at the time, would give him a chance with us.

Good point on the style of play, but Penney has played a lot as a left-back and seems to have decent technique and a good cross. I would think he would be more suited to the left wing-back role than Reach or the right-footed Harris, who have both been picked ahead of him and is certainly more comfortable in that position than Van Aken.

There must be more to it than pure technique but if he is capable at this level then I would have expected interest from elsewhere by now for a player we are so reluctant to use.

2 minutes ago, malek said:

Thanks and sorry for my reaction as well. 

No need mate, I sometimes need putting in my place when I get carried away, big enough to admit I was in the wrong. I respect your opinion even if I don't always agree with it. 

I can see you have always been a genuine poster and am embarrassed by some of my posts to you in this thread.

1 hour ago, Ante's Bubbly said:

Joao came on in one or two games for us, scored goals and went on to be one of very few players that somebody else was prepared to pay for. Not all subs are put on just to waste time, some are tactical and make a difference. If we could have put a sub on for Tom Lees in the last minute of a certain game this season we could have another two points couldn't we?

I personally think that Penney has not always applied himself to the full for some of our coaches. At least one of our recent coaches have mentioned a lack of consistency for several players that have been missing out. Unfortunately left back has been a problem position for quite a few years, with quite a few short term solutions coming in, so the sooner we get a long term solution in the better. I think because he had done well when younger and had come through the youth system, a lot of us wanted him to succeed and were willing to give him a chance, but the honeymoon is over now and he has not made that position his. I think he may go with a few others this summer and hopefully before then we will bring in somebody like Harry Pickering, that looks a class act and worthy of a punt at this level. 

Bringing him in would be a brilliant move IMO. It may even help Penney. We need 2 for every position especially this year. Pickering and Penney rotating over the rest of the season both striving to perform in the Championship should be good for the pair of them.

I don't get the conspiracy theories over Matt Penney.

Under Pulis he was ever present on the bench.

Under Thompson, Penney has:

v Middlesbrough - used sub in 2-1 win

v Derby - unused sub in 1-0 win

v Exeter - not in squad, presumably covid related

v Everton - used sub in 3-0 loss

To me it seems that Thompson rates Penney more highly than Pulis, as evidenced by his increased game time. The difficulty for Matt is that for the game he could have been expected to start (Exeter) he was down with covid and Galvin took his place (turning in a MOM performance IMO) in a solid debut. Galvin kept his place against Everton (rightly IMO, why did he deserve to be dropped?) with Penney coming on for him.

Will be interesting to see how things develop later this season, I expect Penney to get more game time under Thompson, hopefully taking his opportunity and becoming a starter for us.

Not sure what to make of Penny TBH he certainly had a good touch but to me seems to be a bit naive in some aspects of his game , can’t really put my finger on it , I recollect that he went to Mansfield on loan a few seasons ago but never got a start , I think everyone hopes he comes good but ultimately it’s down to the lad himself 

18 hours ago, pazowl55 said:

Can't make defensive mistakes if you are 20 yards to far up the pitch when you are playing left back. 

At the end of the day all of them managers can't be wrong can they. He doesn't do something he is meant to be doing or he would be playing left back wouldn't he.

That’s why he should be either an attacking left sided midfielder or left sided attacker NOT a full back.

• Like 1

I tuned in to every single Bradford and Mansfield game when he was there to see how he did. The good news is that like his spell at St Pauli, they were better when he played vs when he didn't:

- Mansfield had a 50% win rate when Penney played.

- Bradford were unbeaten when Penney played

It has to be what the coaches see in training Whenever I’ve watched him for the first team, he’s done reasonably well. Certainly he’s looked a better option than some of the others we’ve played there. It’s a bit like Urhoghide, he’s only played 5 first team games, in three of those he put in a near MoM performance, and against the likes of Brighton, Leeds and Everton. He must be shocking in training for him not to have had more game time, especially given our problems in defence

18 hours ago, Lime Tree Heros said:

I don't get the conspiracy theories over Matt Penney.

Under Pulis he was ever present on the bench.

Under Thompson, Penney has:

v Middlesbrough - used sub in 2-1 win

v Derby - unused sub in 1-0 win

v Exeter - not in squad, presumably covid related

v Everton - used sub in 3-0 loss

To me it seems that Thompson rates Penney more highly than Pulis, as evidenced by his increased game time. The difficulty for Matt is that for the game he could have been expected to start (Exeter) he was down with covid and Galvin took his place (turning in a MOM performance IMO) in a solid debut. Galvin kept his place against Everton (rightly IMO, why did he deserve to be dropped?) with Penney coming on for him.

Will be interesting to see how things develop later this season, I expect Penney to get more game time under Thompson, hopefully taking his opportunity and becoming a starter for us.

He's under 6ft, Poolis was never going to rate him.

6 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

It has to be what the coaches see in training Whenever I’ve watched him for the first team, he’s done reasonably well. Certainly he’s looked a better option than some of the others we’ve played there. It’s a bit like Urhoghide, he’s only played 5 first team games, in three of those he put in a near MoM performance, and against the likes of Brighton, Leeds and Everton. He must be shocking in training for him not to have had more game time, especially given our problems in defence

Uroghide has had a long term injury but his last 1st team performance I think it was he had a shocker and got pulled 

Just now, hugeowl said:

Uroghide has had a long term injury but his last 1st team performance I think it was he had a shocker and got pulled 

OK thanks, I remember he was injured, but didn’t realise the extent of it. Yes I remember that game you refer to, didn’t he get pulled at half time? Three really good games out of the five starts he’s had though, and against such illustrious opponents, will hopefully see him get more opportunities.

23 hours ago, shezzas left peg said:

He was one of Thompsons main men in the under 23s in those couple of successful seasons. 

If he knuckles down itll no doubt be his best chance of showing what he's capable of if he gets himself fit and firing I'm sure Thompson will give him a chance. 

I do think he's capable of becoming a good mid table quality attacking fullback at this level, just needs to apply himself. 

Do you think he isn't putting in effort or that his effort is misdirected, genuine question?

10 minutes ago, G-Reg said:

Do you think he isn't putting in effort or that his effort is misdirected, genuine question?

I'm not exactly in the know, personally my thinking is he didn't get picked by Bruce, monk or Pulis becouse they didn't deem him strong enough or solid enough defencivly. 

Under a more attacking coach I think he'll get games. He's also been unlucky with injury and wasn't he taken ill before the Walsall game?? 

Only he and the coaches really know, but I do think if anyone can get the best out of him it'll be Thompson. 

3 hours ago, G-Reg said:

Theres I suppose the question of can we accommodate the lad on the left hand side. Defencivly we'd be woeful in a lot of people's 4-4-2 they were screaming to go back to. 

Imagine having bazza lcm, Reach, lm and penney at left back. 

You couldn't get a more defencivly inept side of the pitch and would be a perfect target for opposition.