Penney

9 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

https://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=100991&season_id=152

Don't think that's right. A few of his appearances in wins were as a sub and after a decent start (other than the early red card) he lost his way, especially after lockdown.

A know a couple of Wednesday fans who go to watch St Pauli a couple of times a year and follow them from over here and said he was average in a team that under-performed badly.  

Joao came on in one or two games for us, scored goals and went on to be one of very few players that somebody else was prepared to pay for. Not all subs are put on just to waste time, some are tactical and make a difference. If we could have put a sub on for Tom Lees in the last minute of a certain game this season we could have another two points couldn't we?

I personally think that Penney has not always applied himself to the full for some of our coaches. At least one of our recent coaches have mentioned a lack of consistency for several players that have been missing out. Unfortunately left back has been a problem position for quite a few years, with quite a few short term solutions coming in, so the sooner we get a long term solution in the better. I think because he had done well when younger and had come through the youth system, a lot of us wanted him to succeed and were willing to give him a chance, but the honeymoon is over now and he has not made that position his. I think he may go with a few others this summer and hopefully before then we will bring in somebody like Harry Pickering, that looks a class act and worthy of a punt at this level. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, malek said:

Saying that he can't defend is a nonsense. 

Explain why our attack minded left back who looks good on paper, can't get a game at left back then?

It's because he can't do the defensive aspects of the position properly.

20 minutes ago, malek said:

I put on here in another thread exact numbers with points they won in games he started, came of the bench and didn't featured in, both for St Pauli and us. 

I watched every game he played for St Pauli as well and thought he did very well in most of those. 

Yet another manager - the only one who picked him a few times for us - only chose to start him in less than half of their games. Were you watching him play for St Pauli when Wednesday were playing? None of their kick-offs clashed with ours? 

Just now, pazowl55 said:

Explain why our attack minded left back who looks good on paper, can't get a game at left back then?

It is your opinion and mine is that it is wrong. 

He didn’t get to play because we were managed by poor managers who in all their time here did little right. 

And who defender better in that left back/wing back role? Reach? Harris? Odebajo? Palmer? Fox? 

3 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Yet another manager - the only one who picked him a few times for us - only chose to start him in less than half of their games. Were you watching him play for St Pauli when Wednesday were playing? None of their kick-offs clashed with ours? 

None

1 minute ago, malek said:

It is your opinion and mine is that it is wrong. 

He didn’t get to play because we were managed by poor managers who in all their time here did little right. 

And who defender better in that left back/wing back role? Reach? Harris? Odebajo? Palmer? Fox? 

So it's not Penney's fault then. Just been mismanaged his whole career. By every manager.

All the above you mentioned care as much about defending for the team as they do attacking for the team. Penney does not. 

5 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

So it's not Penney's fault then. Just been mismanaged his whole career. By every manager.

All the above you mentioned care as much about defending for the team as they do attacking for the team. Penney does not. 

And when we were let down by his defending? When we got overloaded down his flank and how many goals we concede through his mistakes? 

9 minutes ago, malek said:

And why would you care if they did? You take some liberty thinking that you are suposed to have a say in what game I choose to watch. 

No, just curious as to why you would watch St Pauli rather than us. Reasonalbe question to ask a Wednesday fan on a Wednesday forum, no need to be so defensive. 

You certainly take in a lot of games what with watching us, our youth teams, St Pauli and Crewe on a regular basis.

4 minutes ago, malek said:

And when we were let down by his defending? When we got overloaded down his flank and how many goals we concede through his mistakes? 

Can't make defensive mistakes if you are 20 yards to far up the pitch when you are playing left back. 

At the end of the day all of them managers can't be wrong can they. He doesn't do something he is meant to be doing or he would be playing left back wouldn't he.

6 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

No, just curious as to why you would watch St Pauli rather than us. Reasonalbe question to ask a Wednesday fan on a Wednesday forum, no need to be so defensive. 

You certainly take in a lot of games what with watching us, our youth teams, St Pauli and Crewe on a regular basis.

No it is not? Why do you need to know what teams and games I chose to watch?! Are you suposed to judge how big Wednesday fan I'm?! It would never cross my mind to ask anyone here anything like that, just can't grasp why you would. 

I watched St Pauli when Penney play as I'm a fan and wanted to see with my own eyes how well he would do in German rather than post other people opinions. 

Also, I like Crewe. Always did, like their youth policy and enjoy football they are playing. Just over 10 games in two seasons isn't what I would call watching on regular basis. 

I watch Plenty other games as well as I want to see players I think are talented for myself before formi g an opinion and postin on here. 

Even now I plan on watching Carlisle as I want to take another look in their highly rated midfielder whom they converted from CB and is one of most positive Stories in League Two. 

I enjoy watching British football and so I do with money I earn and in my own free time. 

8 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Can't make defensive mistakes if you are 20 yards to far up the pitch when you are playing left back. 

At the end of the day all of them managers can't be wrong can they. He doesn't do something he is meant to be doing or he would be playing left back wouldn't he.

Didn't get much of a look in to prove if he can or he can't, did he? 

At very least he did show enough to get more of a chance. It seems that some players get endless chances, yet some got constantly overlooked and that is what I can’t agree with. 

Did he really do so poorly against Cardiff and Watford to get overlooked for so long in order to play others out of position. If these did any better I would agree, but I don’t feel that is the case. 

Still I hope that Thompson will start him against Coventry. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, malek said:

No it is not? Why do you need to know what teams and games I chose to watch?! Are you suposed to judge how big Wednesday fan I'm?! It would never cross my mind to ask anyone here anything like that, just can't grasp why you would. 

I watched St Pauli when Penney play as I'm a fan and wanted to see with my own eyes how well he would do in German rather than post other people opinions. 

Also, I like Crewe. Always did, like their youth policy and enjoy football they are playing. Just over 10 games in two seasons isn't what I would call watching on regular basis. 

I watch Plenty other games as well as I want to see players I think are talented for myself before formi g an opinion and postin on here. 

Even now I plan on watching Carlisle as I want to take another look in their highly rated midfielder whom they converted from CB and is one of most positive Stories in League Two. 

I enjoy watching British football and so I do with money I earn and in my own free time. 

I would judge being a Wednesday fan on watching predominantly Wednesday as opposed to watching anyone else, yes. Strange that you feel so worked up about it and only pointed out that you watched all of Penney's games in Germany 3 pages into this discussion. I wasn't aware that all of St Pauli's matches were televised and accessible over here.

You seem very defensive of Penney.

Multiple managers have chosen not to play him and I don't see a host of clubs queuing up to give him game time.

25 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

The sad thing is that he is more than capable, but like a lot of players his attitude is just not right. Maybe he just cannot be bothered enough to put the effort in, who knows, the crowds aren't adding any pressure and he played in front of big crowds at St Pauli. Doing it one day and not the next, or for ten minutes in a game, then going missing are not the same as having no ability. He had some injury issues too at St Pauli and actually came home for a while because he was out for some time. Maybe that has played some part in his decline, who knows. As others mention Thompson is no mug, so we will see what becomes of him soon, because his contract is up in the summer, along with a few of the other young players and first team choices.

As for his time at St Pauli, I cannot profess to personally know any of their fans, but I know that 57 thousand fans saw him score the winner in the away leg of their local derby game...

....when fit he has been a regular for the German outfit this term. Indeed, Penney has played 10 times in the league, and it is likely that no game will stand-out more for him than Saturday’s visit to fierce rivals Hamburg, who are fighting for promotion back to the top flight.

That’s because the left-back unleashed a brilliant strike from outside the box to double St. Pauli’s lead in the first half and some Wednesday supporters were left in awe at his ability to rifle the ball into the bottom corner from around 25 yards out.

• Like 1

Guest LondonOwl313
2 hours ago, malek said:

All these things were explained multiple times on here, some even in this thread couple of posts above. 

Monk and Pulis never played him, but what exactly did they do right since taking over?! It seems that some people think that only right decision they made was to keep Penney out. 

He certainly got atributes to be starting left back at this level and in little that he played for us didn't do any worst than players with far more experience. 

Playing players out of position instead of giving him more of a chance is just one of poor decision clowns we had for managers we had here did wrong and got us in this situation. 

Then again, it is just my opinion it counts for nothing. 

Unfortunately he’s probably had his opportunity when he first broke through in 2018/19 and he never pushed on. He’s got a very good left foot on him and people get taken in by that.. but football is about much more. It’s more about what you do without the ball and in transition than it is whether you can pass and shoot. And that’s why Penney isn’t selected because the managers don’t trust him to do the defensive side well or get in to the right positions

19 minutes ago, malek said:

Hi Malek, regarding Crewe, what do you reckon to their young left back Harry Pickering? Do you think he could do a good job for Sheffield Wednesday? If so do you think we stand a chance of signing him, or is it just press talk?

3 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

I would judge being a Wednesday fan on watching predominantly Wednesday as opposed to watching anyone else, yes. Strange that you feel so worked up about it and only pointed out that you watched all of Penney's games in Germany 3 pages into this discussion. I wasn't aware that all of St Pauli's matches were televised and accessible over here.

You seem very defensive of Penney.

Multiple managers have chosen not to play him and I don't see a host of clubs queuing up to give him game time.

I wrote few times that I watched all his games for St Pauli as well as his debut on loan at Bradford. 

Point is that you don't get to judge how big Wednesday fan I'm and can't understand why would you want to. Is anyone on here trying to judge how big Wednesday fan you are? And what would be the point?! 

Btw. I can PM you link to stream every live St Pauli game if you want to, but I feel you are trying to call me a liar and that is getting on my nerves and why I get defensive. Not fair mate, not fair at all. 

13 minutes ago, malek said:

Didn't get much of a look in to prove if he can or he can't, did he? 

At very least he did show enough to get more of a chance. It seems that some players get endless chances, yet some got constantly overlooked and that is what I can’t agree with. 

Did he really do so poorly against Cardiff and Watford to get overlooked for so long in order to play others out of position. If these did any better I would agree, but I don’t feel that is the case. 

Still I hope that Thompson will start him against Coventry. 

6 minutes ago, Ante's Bubbly said:

The sad thing is that he is more than capable, but like a lot of players his attitude is just not right. Maybe he just cannot be bothered enough to put the effort in, who knows, the crowds aren't adding any pressure and he played in front of big crowds at St Pauli. Doing it one day and not the next, or for ten minutes in a game, then going missing are not the same as having no ability. He had some injury issues too at St Pauli and actually came home for a while because he was out for some time. Maybe that has played some part in his decline, who knows. As others mention Thompson is no mug, so we will see what becomes of him soon, because his contract is up in the summer, along with a few of the other young players and first team choices.

As for his time at St Pauli, I cannot profess to personally know any of their fans, but I know that 57 thousand fans saw him score the winner in the away leg of their local derby game...

....when fit he has been a regular for the German outfit this term. Indeed, Penney has played 10 times in the league, and it is likely that no game will stand-out more for him than Saturday’s visit to fierce rivals Hamburg, who are fighting for promotion back to the top flight.

That’s because the left-back unleashed a brilliant strike from outside the box to double St. Pauli’s lead in the first half and some Wednesday supporters were left in awe at his ability to rifle the ball into the bottom corner from around 25 yards out.

I hope he gets the chance to prove he is a good player, but so many have decided to not put him in team or not keep him in the team. This have to be down to a lack of following instructions given and not working hard enough off the ball. Or perhaps he is not at it in training everyday.  

4 minutes ago, malek said:

I wrote few times that I watched all his games for St Pauli as well as his debut on loan at Bradford. 

Point is that you don't get to judge how big Wednesday fan I'm and can't understand why would you want to. Is anyone on here trying to judge how big Wednesday fan you are? And what would be the point?! 

Btw. I can PM you link to stream every live St Pauli game if you want to, but I feel you are trying to call me a liar and that is getting on my nerves and why I get defensive. Not fair mate, not fair at all. 

I am not trying to judge how big a fan you are, just stating that I would find it strange that a Wednesday fan would choose to watch someone else over us, but as you say, that's your decision.

Fair enough on the St Pauli point, I could see why you think I am getting at you in that respect and I apologise, you are right, no need for it. 

2 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

What has he done to warrant a regular game? 

Bruce didn't pick him, he was allowed to leave when Bullen was in charge, when he came back Monk rarely used him, Monk went and Pulis didn't pick him, Thompson chooses to start Galvin ahead of him. 

He showed promise when he broke into the side but it can't be down to it being 'easier' to leave him out than bigger names when we don't have a left-back, are seemingly searching for one and all our managers keep overlooking him. 

Just a thought, but monk, pullis and Bruce don't exactly play a style of football that suits penney. 

All three are very defensive minded coaches, Penney isn't probably up to their standard defensively, hence wasn't picked by them. 

That's no doubt the issues with his game others have mentioned come in. 

He didn't look strong enough under jos and would get cought out ball watching or out of position. I'm not disputing the fact jos shuffled him everywhere, so was maybe a little cindmfused at times, but for me those seem to be his weaknesses, both are generally cured by age and more game time.