Penney

3 hours ago, shezzas left peg said:

Theres I suppose the question of can we accommodate the lad on the left hand side. Defencivly we'd be woeful in a lot of people's 4-4-2 they were screaming to go back to. 

Imagine having bazza lcm, Reach, lm and penney at left back. 

You couldn't get a more defencivly inept side of the pitch and would be a perfect target for opposition. 

I agree on that, goes to show that it isn't about one player's limitations, but those around him too (proving our recruitment has little foresight).  If we are playing 3 CBs then I can't see how Penney isn't in contention as LWB really. He is a good player on the ball (touch, passing, crossing) and would have more output than Harris. If we are playing a back 4, then he does need to improve his defensive game quickly to get a game (especially with the defensive ineptitude of reach in front of him).  I hope we keep him, as I think he could do a decent job replacing Reach next season.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

Came back with a bang the other night though - thought he played well

He did really well considering how long he has been out for and the level of opposition. What a strange career he has had with us so far. Performed really well away to two PL sides and promotion chasing Leeds but was woeful in his two home games against Reading & Blackburn.  

On 25/01/2021 at 11:52, malek said:

Nothing. Guess it is easier to leave him out than some "bigger" names. 

If Thompson stays bit longer I'm sure we will get to see much more from him. Wouldn't be surprised if he starts in key game against Coventry on Wednesday. 

I really thought we’d see more of him with Thompson in charge. But he said something along lines of ‘MP knows we expect more of him, he knows what he needs to do’ I may be wrong on exact wording but it made me wonder what the something he needs to do is. 

Ive thought he’s looked great in small glimpses we’ve seen this season. I’d be building around him, Shaw, Dunkley, Iorfa as next term we’re likely have lot less big names on the books.