Penney

Nothing. Guess it is easier to leave him out than some "bigger" names. 

If Thompson stays bit longer I'm sure we will get to see much more from him. Wouldn't be surprised if he starts in key game against Coventry on Wednesday. 

1 minute ago, malek said:

If Thompson stays bit longer I'm sure we will get to see much more from him. Wouldn't be surprised if he starts in key game against Coventry on Wednesday. 

Genuinely curious to know what gives you the impression he will start in what will be our biggest game of the season so far, having not featured at all?

For me, he's not been selected above Galvin for the cup, and Palmer is surely a safer bet for a game of this magnitude, especially having been rested yesterday? 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Spondon Owl said:

Why doesn't he start regularly? What is missing from his game that others have?

It always makes us fans wonder what is going on with a player that seems do be playing well, but runs hot and cold or just gets left out for long spells by different head coaches. There must be some underlying reason why players like Penney,  Westwood, Izzy Brown and another player alleged to be returning soon, Hutchinson get left out so often when they are fit and available to play. Maybe they have bad personalities, are seen as negative influences, or just upset the coaches in some way or other, because very often they can perform when they are in the right frame of mind. I think a lot of these player issues are probably to do with poor mental state and/or lack of consistency.

3 minutes ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

I think he's just one of those that isn't as good as people think he is. 

A massive massive sign of that, when Galvin gets selected for 2 FA Cup games ahead of him at Left Back. 

And for him not to get even on the bench (that we couldn't fill with 7 subs) for first time in last few games signals that he either got injured or sick, or whatever...

Just now, Ante's Bubbly said:

It always makes us fans wonder what is going on with a player that seems do be playing well, but runs hot and cold or just gets left out for long spells by different head coaches. There must be some underlying reason why players like Penney,  Westwood, Izzy Brown and another player alleged to be returning soon, Hutchinson get left out so often when they are fit and available to play. Maybe they have bad personalities, are seen as negative influences, or just upset the coaches in some way or other, because very often they can perform when they are in the right frame of mind. I think a lot of these player issues are probably to do with poor mental state and/or lack of consistency.

You can't correlate Penney with Hutchinson and Westwood. 

Hutchinson and Westwood have at least proven themselves in their ability, Penney hasn't proven anything at all.

3 minutes ago, malek said:

And for him not to get even on the bench (that we couldn't fill with 7 subs) for first time in last few games signals that he either got injured or sick, or whatever...

Yeh true on that. 

I just don't see him being relied on above the options wave had so far, which is a shame given we dont have a natural LB on our books and i think reflects where hes at. 

When Thompson said he has things to work on, I dont know what that is, tactically, physically, mentally or a combination of all. 

• Like 1

He was one of Thompsons main men in the under 23s in those couple of successful seasons. 

If he knuckles down itll no doubt be his best chance of showing what he's capable of if he gets himself fit and firing I'm sure Thompson will give him a chance. 

I do think he's capable of becoming a good mid table quality attacking fullback at this level, just needs to apply himself. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, shezzas left peg said:

He was one of Thompsons main men in the under 23s in those couple of successful seasons. 

If he knuckles down itll no doubt be his best chance of showing what he's capable of if he gets himself fit and firing I'm sure Thompson will give him a chance. 

I do think he's capable of becoming a good mid table quality attacking fullback at this level, just needs to apply himself. 

Totally agree.

The longer Thompson is in charge the more game time he will get. I like him.

"The boy's got talent, there's no question about that, but he’s got things he needs to brush up on." - Thompson

"I think his ability is there. But there are a lot more things that go into it than ability. Matt knows what he needs to do." - Monk

Comments such as the above suggest his coaches are aware of his ability, but feel like his game is lacking something, don't they?

We can only speculate as to what, I suppose.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, malek said:

What has he done to warrant a regular game? 

Bruce didn't pick him, he was allowed to leave when Bullen was in charge, when he came back Monk rarely used him, Monk went and Pulis didn't pick him, Thompson chooses to start Galvin ahead of him. 

He showed promise when he broke into the side but it can't be down to it being 'easier' to leave him out than bigger names when we don't have a left-back, are seemingly searching for one and all our managers keep overlooking him. 

Thompson has been here 11 years he will have seen him develop right through the system so if he decides not to pick him in the next 4 or 5 games then I'm afraid it appears that something is deemed to be missing from either his game or attitude, something we may never know as fans 

On the flip side Thompson could be the one that finally gives him the belief and the break he needs to kick on and establish himself in the first team 

Either way i think January could be a make or break month for his career with us, personally I hope its make 

1 minute ago, Avon barksdale said:

Penney been a professional 5 years and only played about 40 games . He’s been under about 10 different managers  and only 1 chose him regularly which was Jos ,which says it all really . Don’t think he’s cut out for it at this level, I look forward to him proving me wrong 

He seemed to do alright at St Pauli under Jos playing under bigger crowds than he'd played in front of before and scored a fantastic goal in the Hamburg derby match, which finished the game. 

The weird thing is with Penney, I thought he looked by far the best of our young players at under 23 level, better than George Hirst, or the winger Jack Stobbs that we kept for far too long without playing him. OK Penney at 22 is a year older than Hirst (they both have a birthday in Feb), but none of that generation of players have managed to make the step up to first team football, so it makes you wonder how good they actually are, or how badly were they coached over those last couple of years, because good players should be playing first team football by the time they are 20, at some level or other. You see cup games against lower division teams that are bristling with young players that have been playing regularly and developing their game and their stamina, then you see teams like ours that seem to be bristling with players that have not developed their game and see stamina as something that is not essential. I think the players need a good kick up the @rse. 

Up to now (in days of Covid) teams have been willing to pay players the kind of wages that they would not get anywhere else for their levels of ability and more than they should have been paid in terms of the club's budgets. I remember when Wednesday were in the old third division and I knew some of the young players that were signed under Charlton and even the people I know that went to university and got very good jobs, never ended up earning as much as those young players earned when they were bit part players at whatever clubs they ended up at in the third tier of English football. I cannot imagine that situation has changed too much just yet, but if it goes on much longer mediocre players who are not putting the effort in will probably end up having a big shock when they are laid off. I reckon we will end up offloading quite a few in the summer, unless the club gets an injection of cash. 

2 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

What has he done to warrant a regular game? 

Bruce didn't pick him, he was allowed to leave when Bullen was in charge, when he came back Monk rarely used him, Monk went and Pulis didn't pick him, Thompson chooses to start Galvin ahead of him. 

He showed promise when he broke into the side but it can't be down to it being 'easier' to leave him out than bigger names when we don't have a left-back, are seemingly searching for one and all our managers keep overlooking him. 

All these things were explained multiple times on here, some even in this thread couple of posts above. 

Monk and Pulis never played him, but what exactly did they do right since taking over?! It seems that some people think that only right decision they made was to keep Penney out. 

He certainly got atributes to be starting left back at this level and in little that he played for us didn't do any worst than players with far more experience. 

Playing players out of position instead of giving him more of a chance is just one of poor decision clowns we had for managers we had here did wrong and got us in this situation. 

Then again, it is just my opinion it counts for nothing. 

• Like 1

Can’t help but presume he’ll go on to have a decent career somewhere else and we’ll be left going - ‘well he never did owt for us’! Though he never plays. We’re basically just a terrible club for young footballers to be at. Awful record of nurturing talent within the club and terrible at encouraging players as a fan base. Go figure....or he could just be sh*t 🙂 

1 minute ago, malek said:

All these things were explained multiple times on here, some even in this thread couple of posts above. 

Monk and Pulis never played him, but what exactly did they do right since taking over?! It seems that some people think that only right decision they made was to keep Penney out. 

He certainly got atributes to be starting left back at this level and in little that he played for us didn't do any worst than players with far more experience. 

Playing players out of position instead of giving him more of a chance is just one of poor decision clowns we had for managers we had here did wrong and got us in this situation. 

Then again, it is just my opinion it counts for nothing. 

But the fact we haven't got a senior Left Back, I think surely it has to reflect on Penney rather than anyone else?

He's played 8 mins in 1 game, unused sub the next, then 31 minutes in the cup?

Surely he'd be getting more if it was Monk and Pulis' fault?  NT just threw Andrew Green straight in and theyre the same age?