Penney

7 minutes ago, Ante's Bubbly said:

He seemed to do alright at St Pauli under Jos playing under bigger crowds than he'd played in front of before and scored a fantastic goal in the Hamburg derby match, which finished the game. 

The weird thing is with Penney, I thought he looked by far the best of our young players at under 23 level, better than George Hirst, or the winger Jack Stobbs that we kept for far too long without playing him. OK Penney at 22 is a year older than Hirst (they both have a birthday in Feb), but none of that generation of players have managed to make the step up to first team football, so it makes you wonder how good they actually are, or how badly were they coached over those last couple of years, because good players should be playing first team football by the time they are 20, at some level or other. You see cup games against lower division teams that are bristling with young players that have been playing regularly and developing their game and their stamina, then you see teams like ours that seem to be bristling with players that have not developed their game and see stamina as something that is not essential. I think the players need a good kick up the @rse. 

Up to now (in days of Covid) teams have been willing to pay players the kind of wages that they would not get anywhere else for their levels of ability and more than they should have been paid in terms of the club's budgets. I remember when Wednesday were in the old third division and I knew some of the young players that were signed under Charlton and even the people I know that went to university and got very good jobs, never ended up earning as much as those young players earned when they were bit part players at whatever clubs they ended up at in the third tier of English football. I cannot imagine that situation has changed too much just yet, but if it goes on much longer mediocre players who are not putting the effort in will probably end up having a big shock when they are laid off. I reckon we will end up offloading quite a few in the summer, unless the club gets an injection of cash. 

He did fairly averagely at St Pauli. He was never a regular in the side, he started off well but tailed off. The goal in the derby was a standout moment but they finished in a poor position in a league that is a lower standard than the Championship. 

7 minutes ago, malek said:

All these things were explained multiple times on here, some even in this thread couple of posts above. 

Monk and Pulis never played him, but what exactly did they do right since taking over?! It seems that some people think that only right decision they made was to keep Penney out. 

He certainly got atributes to be starting left back at this level and in little that he played for us didn't do any worst than players with far more experience. 

Playing players out of position instead of giving him more of a chance is just one of poor decision clowns we had for managers we had here did wrong and got us in this situation. 

Then again, it is just my opinion it counts for nothing. 

Bruce never picked him either and he was happy to go out on loan at a time when we had no permanent manager rather than believe he could fight for a place under whoeover took charge at that time.

Fair point on Monk and Pulis but Monk did start with him in the team this season, results were decent, then he was dropped from the squad. Even in the short time Thompson has been doing press conferences he has referred to aspect for improvement. He clearly isn't doing what is expected of him. 

Guest Therealrealist

Penney will move on at the end of the season and it will be to a lower level..like most of the youngsters we release

8 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

He is not a left back, because he can't defend, and we have have better wingers in Reach and Harris than him. Its that simple really.

You can argue he is not a good enough defender but most of his games at senior level have been at left-back.Agree that there's no merit in him being selected for a left-sided attacking role ahead of other options. 

25 minutes ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

You can't correlate Penney with Hutchinson and Westwood. 

Hutchinson and Westwood have at least proven themselves in their ability, Penney hasn't proven anything at all.

Please do not try to tell me, or anybody else what we can and cannot do, or say. I have just commented on the fact that they have all been left out by various head coaches when they are available to play. I have no idea what your agenda is with me pal, but sometimes you have to admit that other people have opinions, or can state real facts that support an argument you do not like. If you prefer to maintain your opinion, carry on, but there is really no point in trying to persuade people without any evidence, or when the only evidence points to you being out of touch.

I really cannot be bothered to reply to your silly messages anymore so please find another poster to pester. The facts are there, you carry on ignoring them, I will not. Is that ok with you?

:ghoulguy:

• Love 1

4 minutes ago, Ante's Bubbly said:

Please do not try to tell me, or anybody else what we can and cannot do, or say. I have just commented on the fact that they have all been left out by various head coaches when they are available to play. I have no idea what your agenda is with me pal, but sometimes you have to admit that other people have opinions, or can state real facts that support an argument you do not like. If you prefer to maintain your opinion, carry on, but there is really no point in trying to persuade people without any evidence, or when the only evidence points to you being out of touch.

I really cannot be bothered to reply to your silly messages anymore so please find another poster to pester. The facts are there, you carry on ignoring them, I will not. Is that ok with you?

Handbags.jpg.3db648529b9c12d30606cc3de08c783e.jpg

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

He did fairly averagely at St Pauli. He was never a regular in the side, he started off well but tailed off. The goal in the derby was a standout moment but they finished in a poor position in a league that is a lower standard than the Championship. 

Agreed, but I do not think he has suddenly lost the ability he had though, I just do not think he is bothered enough to put the effort in anymore. He had a good game or two as though he had something to prove, then went rapidly downhill. People did not rave about him because he was rubbish, he just could not keep up the work rate for whatever reason. I think he a quite a few others will be offloaded. There are quite a lot of players out there that have played at a high level from being kids that just suddenly lose their appetite for the game despite the wages on offer.

18 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Again, just compare their results when Penney started for them and when he didn't. 

Their points % in games he started was top 3-5 form. When he didn't was relegation form. 

I took an effort to Ask some St Pauli fans what they though of him and got very positive feedback. Most thought he should have played far more than he did. 

22 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

He is not a left back, because he can't defend, and we have have better wingers in Reach and Harris than him. Its that simple really.

Saying that he can't defend is a nonsense. 

7 minutes ago, Ante's Bubbly said:

Absolutely laughable. 

I've come back with an opinion to your post, on an internet forum to post opinions and you've basically thrown your toys out of the pram. 

I simply said the situations of leaving 2 proven players out to leaving an unproven kid out is totally different. But yes, of course that's a 'silly message'

• Haha 1

I stated This a few weeks ago I honestly believe that he should be tried upfront as an old fashion inside left that’s just my opinion AND give him a good few games to try out. I know some people on here will say we haven’t got the time to try somebody else up front but the thing is he must surely be better than Patterson for heaven sake.

The big problem is a lot of so-called good players we have on the books, don’t get a decent run in the first team for example they play one poor game and then get dropped but guys such as  Paterson play most games and are terrible to watch.(As long as they run all day - the management seems to be happy with that but I have a gut feeling that most fans are not).

You guys out there know exactly who those players are who never get a run of consistent games.

12 minutes ago, malek said:

Again, just compare their results when Penney started for them and when he didn't. 

Their points % in games he started was top 3-5 form. When he didn't was relegation form. 

I took an effort to Ask some St Pauli fans what they though of him and got very positive feedback. Most thought he should have played far more than he did. 

https://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=100991&season_id=152

Don't think that's right. A few of his appearances in wins were as a sub and after a decent start (other than the early red card) he lost his way, especially after lockdown.

A know a couple of Wednesday fans who go to watch St Pauli a couple of times a year and follow them from over here and said he was average in a team that under-performed badly.  

7 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

https://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=100991&season_id=152

Don't think that's right. A few of his appearances in wins were as a sub and after a decent start (other than the early red card) he lost his way, especially after lockdown.

A know a couple of Wednesday fans who go to watch St Pauli a couple of times a year and follow them from over here and said he was average in a team that under-performed badly.  

I put on here in another thread exact numbers with points they won in games he started, came of the bench and didn't featured in, both for St Pauli and us. 

I watched every game he played for St Pauli as well and thought he did very well in most of those. 

46 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

You can argue he is not a good enough defender but most of his games at senior level have been at left-back.Agree that there's no merit in him being selected for a left-sided attacking role ahead of other options. 

We are playing an academy kid ahead of him at left back. And a centre-back, and a right back ahead of him at left back. Says all you need to know really about where all our managers think the defensive side of his game is at.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

We are playing an academy kid ahead of him at left back. And a centre-back, and a right back ahead of him at left back. Says all you need to know really about where all our managers think the defensive side of his game is at.

He may get a chance in league 1 next year, personally from what he has show when played looks about his level.

Edited by wellbeaten-the-owl