RIP Peter Swan

I suppose every fan has a favourite era of football and fond memories of players.

As a young teenager the early 60s was mine.

I was able to go to matches on my own or sometimes on the coach which ran from The Old Heavygate Inn in Crookes.

Two incidents left me devastated.

Firstly the departure of Harry Catterick and the subsequent transfer of Tony Kay to Everton,and then of course the loss of Swanny and David Layne.

Even at the time it seemed that the bans were an injustice and way too severe.

Springett,Megson,Swan and Kay were iconic figures ably supported by others in that team.

Happy days.You could even wander from the Kop end to Leppings Lane at half time to watch the attacking end.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Rivelin said:

I suppose every fan has a favourite era of football and fond memories of players.

I was able to go to matches on my own or sometimes on the coach which ran from The Old Heavygate Inn in Crookes.

Firstly the departure of Harry Catterick and the subsequent transfer of Tony Kay to Everton,and then of course the loss of Swanny and David Layne.

Springett,Megson,Swan and Kay were iconic figures ably supported by others in that team.

Happy days.You could even wander from the Kop end to Leppings Lane at half time to watch the attacking end.

Rivelin, I could have written that , word for word, just as you have.

Sums up those days completely.

Thanks

• Like 2

3 hours ago, steelcityowlsfan said:

I’d love to hear from those older fans that saw him play?

He was considered up there with Jackie Charlton and Moore for England recognition.

My Dad said he was a good player. 

If it wasn't for the betting scandal, he would have won the WC medal that 'Sir' Jack won.

As a central defender he was years ahead of his time, a footballing Centre half who could kick his way out of trouble with the best of them.

R.I.P,  a true legend.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Freshfish said:

Long legs short shorts ...he was majestic. RIP Swanny. A man with class and style. 

Was going to say exactly the same. As for his playing in the 1966 WC, "......otherwise he'd have been part of the England squad that won the 1966 World Cup; he was once told by England manager Alf Ramsey that he was "top of the list".

One of my all time favourites. Undoubtedly the best centre half in the country in the early 60’s.

Had it all. Height, pace, strength and a great tackler.
Today’s central defenders would be amazed at the 2-3-5 formation he grew up with where a number 5 was part of a half back line and had to be able to play the ball forward as well as covering defensively in between two full backs. There were some real brutes playing centre forward he had to cope with  too in those days. Exciting football though and plenty of goals. 
Great times to be an Owl. R I P .Peter.

• Love 3

21 minutes ago, Rivelin said:

My thoughts too Rivelin. My Dad started taking me to Hillsborough in the 60/61 season when we lived in Castleton, Hope Valley. Swan. Springett, Kay, Megson were my heros. That was a great team and time to support the Owls. Big crowds as well. RIP Swanny.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Quite simply the best centre half I ever saw, or ever have seen.  I got myself a pair of short shorts and told everyone I got them from Peter.  They didn't make me play like him, though I tried hard to pretend that they did.  I agree with those who say he would still have been England's centre half in 1966.  We just have to realise that it was a different era and punishments for offences were draconian back then, while footballers could not even dream of the riches that TV money was to bring to future generations.  It is a great sadness that Peter (and we supporters) lost so many good years, but for those of us who saw him in the early sixties it was, I can honestly say, a privilege.   I fear they may have broken the mould after they made him.  

• Love 2

Brilliant player !   Elegant centre-half and hard as nails !

Top-class England team with Peter Swan and Ron Springett at heart of defence !

If he had been with us at Wembley 66, then Gerry Young would not have been under so much pressure and we would have beaten Everton !

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Rivelin said:

Great days Rivelin. My first games were the 58/9 promotion season just as Catterick was putting that team together. The half back line of McAnearny, Swan and Kay had everything and the team was only beaten to the First Division title by a brilliant Spurs team a couple of seasons later.

• Like 1

Peter Swan is number 467 on the "all who have appeared" list and is the first player on that list that I have seen play, albeit in his second spell.  It is beyond doubt that he, Kay and Layne were treated abominably by the FA and the courts. To be deprived of their livelihood AND imprisoned for such a minor offence was vindictive in the extreme and shameful.

The comeback game against Fulham in 1972 was very emotional and you could see he was a classy player but after 8 years out he only played about 15 games I think.

I went to Wembley in 1975 to see Matlock Town beat Scarborough 4-0 in the FA Trophy and, again, it was very emotional, seeing Peter walk out onto the Wembley pitch 13 years after playing there for England.

(Incidentally David Layne played a few times for Matlock while Peter was there).

Above the fireplace in the pub at Brimington was a framed England shirt, with various other mementos (I used to visit on business).  I have a signed copy of his book with a foreword by another dementia sufferer, Jimmy Greaves. The book is worth reading for the foreword alone, Jimmy says he is sure Peter would have been in the 1966 team.

Dementia is the cruellest of diseases (my mum and mother in law had it for many years in it's most destructive form) .

Peter Swan RIP.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

A definitive legend who sadly and unfairly lost his prime years to the ridiculously heavy and unjust punishment by the F.A.  As other have said, he would have, without a shadow of a doubt, been England's  centre half (or partner for Bobby more in the middle of the back four) in 1966.  RIP Big Man!

Peter was the best centre half I have ever seen, he could do it all, and do it in style.

Jack Charlton was good but not in the same league as Pete, possibly a case of management preferance  that cost Pete and Jimmy a World cup winners medal.

The last time I saw him he signed my copy of his brilliant book, even at the time he wrote " Up the Owls" inside the front cover. Reminded me of the first time I got his autograph when I saw him on Stannington Road in the 60s. 

God Bless.

4 minutes ago, Kevan said:

A definitive legend who sadly and unfairly lost his prime years to the ridiculously heavy and unjust punishment by the F.A.  As other have said, he would have, without a shadow of a doubt, been England's  centre half (or partner for Bobby more in the middle of the back four) in 1966.  RIP Big Man!

Typo - sorry - Bobby Moore ! 

I'm just too young (don't say that often these days) to have seen him play, but my father really rated him.

I truly hope that when we're all allowed back to Hillsborough the club arrange a suitable event so we can all pay our respects to Swanny and all the other heroes we've lost since we were last there - and not some cakeball fiasco...

• Like 3