RIP Peter Swan

I was in the ground the day he made his comeback. I can still remember him running onto the pitch and jumping to head an imaginary ball.

He must have had the shortest shorts in football !!

Stylish player and sadly one who missed out on what would have been the best years of his playing career 

RIP

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

So, so sad to hear of this news. The Swan and Megson households had the patience of saints as each others next door neighbours on Butler Road as scores of Myers Grove lads would fuss over both families and their boys Carl and Garry.

Peter stood head and shoulders in class terms above Maurice Norman as a very silky Centre Half . He had the skill of being able to keep an eye on play by facing on coming forwards by sprinting backwards at speed.

That the Football Association  should place upon the shoulders of the three the cruelest of double jeopardy punishments is beyond comprehension in the light of what todays players get away with. To take away the livelihoods of young men is a punishment too far that imposes hardship on young families. A testament then to Peter Swans resilience that he made it back into the fold at hillsborough  as lead in a back four that was n't appreciated by partner Holsgrove.

A couple of seasons at Bury followed where he found himself on the score sheet a few times. 

So A very sad Farewell with sincere condolences and sympathy to all Family, friends and fans alike. You were one of the greats my Friend !  

Fantastic tribute. Was before my time, but seems as though he was treated badly. My dad reckoned we never got over this and stopped us becoming giants of the game.

RIP, losing so many greats.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, matthefish2002 said:

This is sad news. Before my time but an all time great Wednesday player.
Recommend his autobiography.
RIP.

I have a copy which was signed for me with a picture of him signing it . His last few years have been painful for all. I sat and talked to him in a friends house a few years back. A genuine ordinary guy with a wicked sense of humour who was badly treated IN MY VEIW by the F.A.  A silly moment ruined his and a few others lives.He will always be a hero and legend to me. RIP Peter 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

So, so sad to hear of this news. The Swan and Megson households had the patience of saints as each others next door neighbours on Butler Road as scores of Myers Grove lads would fuss over both families and their boys Carl and Garry.

Peter stood head and shoulders in class terms above Maurice Norman as a very silky Centre Half . He had the skill of being able to keep an eye on play by facing on coming forwards by sprinting backwards at speed.

That the Football Association  should place upon the shoulders of the three the cruelest of double jeopardy punishments is beyond comprehension in the light of what todays players get away with. To take away the livelihoods of young men is a punishment too far that imposes hardship on young families. A testament then to Peter Swans resilience that he made it back into the fold at hillsborough  as lead in a back four that was n't appreciated by partner Holsgrove.

A couple of seasons at Bury followed where he found himself on the score sheet a few times. 

So A very sad Farewell with sincere condolences and sympathy to all Family, friends and fans alike. You were one of the greats my Friend !  

Yep agree with Harrysgame.

That’s a great tribute , Nev.

Particularly like the double jeopardy reference which is so true.

’ Running backwards at speed ‘

That is my abiding memory of Swanny 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Harrysgame said:

Fantastic tribute. Was before my time, but seems as though he was treated badly. My dad reckoned we never got over this and stopped us becoming giants of the game.

RIP, losing so many greats.

Well said Nev. I well remember him saying to me how vindictive the FA were, not even letting him train youngsters for free in the local park.That really hurt him.

My mate , well in to his 80's was an army PTI with him and he tells me a few wild stories of army life as it was. Used to stand on the kop and watch him in delight. 

• Like 1

Thank you for some wonderful memories, one of the best players I have ever seen, a terrible shame the way things worked out, RIP Peter Swan

A world class player but for the betting sandal would have been in the 1966 world cup squad and team, but for an injury to Ron Springett he would have been in goal for England not Banks. Can you image the way we as a club would now be had we had 2 or 3 players in the world cup winning team.

One of my old mans favourite players too.

Always sad news to hear of a former great players passing, my thought are with his family - RIP Swanny.

• Like 2