RIP Peter Swan

6 minutes ago, Left back said:

Swanny wasn't 'a good player'. He was a great player, both for hs club and his country. His class and silky style of play made Jack Charlton look like a cart horse against a thoroughbred. R.I.P. 

ps He wasn't a bad landlord either. Had one or two cracks with him in Brimington.

• Like 6
  • Love 1

Having watched the Owls from the late 1950s and regularly from 1961, in the early 1960s Peter Swan was certainly an international class centre half. Powerful, commanding, technically first class and hard when necessary, Peter was the most commanding centre half I've seen for Wednesday. (I didn't see very much of Des Walker having moved away from Sheffield in 91).

Also my memory is that he wore shorter shorts than were usual at the time 🙂

Edited by Barumowl
punctuation error
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Nothing I can add to all those like me who were fortunate to see him play.

Without doubt the best centre half in the country at the time and obviously the best in a blue and white shirt in living memory.

McAnearney, Swan and Kay. 
Makes you really emotional just thinking about it.

A legend from the period when that title was well and truly earned.

Thanks Swanny for the memories.

We’ll never see his like again 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, A12owl said:

He was majestic. Great tackler. You could liken him a bit to Iorfa. Great presence on the pitch. 

RIP Peter. 

Sympathy to all his family and friends. 

I doubt if our mate Iorfa would even get into the 60/61 side, certainly not as Centre Half!

Way back he tried to sign me as a centre half when he was manager at Matlock town I was looking forward to learning from the maestro. Sadly he wasn’t there and turned out he’d gone to court for his son Carl I think. 
I signed elsewhere but would have loved the chance to have played for him. 
RIP. 

• Like 2

Only saw his comeback. My dad says he was a Rolls Royce of a centre back.

Its interesting that even now no-one, including me, has any bad words for Swanny despite the betting scandal. He was just an ordinary working bloke at that time I suppose making a mistake.

RIP Swanny.

• Like 1

If you get the chance  have a read of his book - setting the record straight.

Fascinating insight into the betting scandal plus he also has a dig at Colin for being unprofessional in his attitude towards him.