RIP Peter Swan

2 hours ago, WadsleyOwl said:

RIP 🦉

My Dad really rated him, said Jack Charlton would have been nowhere near the 66 team had it not been for the ban.

Wednesday great for sure but he lost his England place in 1962 didn't he?  In one article he says Ramsey told him he would have been in the squad but did Ramsey ever name him in any squad?

2 hours ago, 31Dec1966 said:

Peter Swan is number 467 on the "all who have appeared" list and is the first player on that list that I have seen play, albeit in his second spell.  It is beyond doubt that he, Kay and Layne were treated abominably by the FA and the courts. To be deprived of their livelihood AND imprisoned for such a minor offence was vindictive in the extreme and shameful.

The comeback game against Fulham in 1972 was very emotional and you could see he was a classy player but after 8 years out he only played about 15 games I think.

I went to Wembley in 1975 to see Matlock Town beat Scarborough 4-0 in the FA Trophy and, again, it was very emotional, seeing Peter walk out onto the Wembley pitch 13 years after playing there for England.

(Incidentally David Layne played a few times for Matlock while Peter was there).

Above the fireplace in the pub at Brimington was a framed England shirt, with various other mementos (I used to visit on business).  I have a signed copy of his book with a foreword by another dementia sufferer, Jimmy Greaves. The book is worth reading for the foreword alone, Jimmy says he is sure Peter would have been in the 1966 team.

Dementia is the cruellest of diseases (my mum and mother in law had it for many years in it's most destructive form) .

Peter Swan RIP.

Thanks for that 31 Dec. Lovely tribute to a lovely man who had so much going for him. Legend does not cover it.

35 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

Wednesday great for sure but he lost his England place in 1962 didn't he?  In one article he says Ramsey told him he would have been in the squad but did Ramsey ever name him in any squad?

Jack Charlton once asked Sir Alf why he'd picked him for England , Ramseys reply was that he didn't always pick the best player in their position but picked someone who suited the overall dynamic of the team. jack always said that he couldn't play but knew how to stop those who could!!

There is a concensus that Swan was a better footballer than Jack Charlton but having read Ramseys own words and every book about him I think he would still have picked Charlton. In the same way that he picked Hurst to play in the final even though Greaves, by far the better goalscorer, was fit (even though most people think he was still injured).

We'll never know but we do know for certain that Peter Swan was a Wednesday great, and, but for, the vindictiveness of the FA would have had a longer career, possibly culminating in lifting the FA Cup in 1966.

• Like 4

Peter Swan, along with Ron Springett and David ‘Bronco’ Layne were my heroes as a boy and between them, they provided the backbone of a very successful team in 1961, when they finished runners up to the fabulous, double -winning Spurs team of that year.

I have great memories of his personal battles on the field at that time with the likes of Bobby Smith, Ray Pointer and Derek Dougan, all of whom were uncompromising, tough, top, goalscoring, international centre forwards of their day and he usually got the better of them. He was a rock, could mix it with anyone, but also had class.

I remember watching as a boy from the Kop on many occasions that when being chased down by one of these guys, running back towards his own goal ‘Swanny’ had a skilful step-over trick, which he would use often and this would result in the ball being easily collected by Springett, or he would shepherd the ball out of play for a goal kick to us.

Yes, he ‘blotted his copybook’ later, but I will always have great memories of a classy, dominant centre half, who was my boyhood hero. 

RIP Peter and sincere condolences to his family.

• Love 4

8 hours ago, steelcityowlsfan said:

I’d love to hear from those older fans that saw him play?

He was considered up there with Jackie Charlton and Moore for England recognition.

My Dad said he was a good player. 

My dear old uncle Jem (formerly Wolfmanjack on Owlstalk) always said Peter Swan was his all-time favourite Wednesday player, and if he hadn't been so daft around the time of the 1966 World Cup, would have been a shoe-in along with Bobby Moore at the back, for England.

• Like 2

Very sad news, has to be the best centre half we ever had,that good crowds at other clubs would boo him onto their pitch.

All the finest forewards of the day hated to play against Swanny,he was tough and uncompromising and his first tackle on you would leave you on your backside.

RIP Peter Swan