RIP Peter Swan

11 hours ago, scram said:

Saw him play in his second stint but too young and starry eyed to be able to judge him as a player

At that age all the Wednesday players were idols to me

RIP Peter

Same, such a shame he threw it all away.

RIP Swanny.

5 hours ago, rickygoo said:

In one article he says Ramsey told him he would have been in the squad but did Ramsey ever name him in any squad?

no he didnt he'd been out the picture for 2 years before he was banned .......think the story was he blotted his copybook with the FA while in chile for the 62 world cup by going out  one night while supposedly being ill ........never played again for england  after that  

He was well before my time, but a friend of mine with a few more years to his name told me the story of seeing Swan play against Brian Clough.

Apparently Clough came steaming in on Ron Springett, clattering him. So Swan picked up Clough with one hand by his shirt, lifted him two feet in the air, pinned him against the goalpost and just held him there for ages. Clough almost shat himself.

RIP. The ten year ban seemed incredibly harsh, but still sounds like he lived a great life.

8 hours ago, torryowl said:

no he didnt he'd been out the picture for 2 years before he was banned .......think the story was he blotted his copybook with the FA while in chile for the 62 world cup by going out  one night while supposedly being ill ........never played again for england  after that  

Not the story I was told by my Dad who happened to be Petes brother. He was obviously faking being that ill he was hospitalised but lets not let that stop a good rumour on the day he died. 

• Thanks 1

Used to watch Peter Swan in his pomp. He was superb. At the time where I lived there were more blades than owls. We had ferocious arguments as to whether Swanny or Joe Shaw was better. Beautiful moment when he was selected for England and our case was proved. 

I was not old enough to see him play first time but was there to see his come back, you could see he had a great talent but he was older.

After reading lots of posts on this thread and other pieces of information about  Swann, Kay both would have been in the 1966 final, along with Springett 

Swann for Charlton

Kay for Moore and Kay would have been captain

Springett in for Banks barring injury.

I know by this time Kay was at Everton but the links to The Owls was there and not 1 played.

Edited by BANJO59

27 minutes ago, BANJO59 said:

I was not old enough to see him play first time but was there to see his come back, you could see he had a great talent but he was older.

After reading lots of posts on this thread and other pieces of information about  Swann, Kay both would have been in the 1966 final, along with Springett 

Swann for Charlton

Kay for Moore and Kay would have been captain

Springett in for Banks barring injury.

I know by this time Kay was at Everton but the links to The Owls was there and not 1 played.

i dont think kay would have took moore's place but possibly stiles .......i would have  thought layne would have had a chance of getting into the squad .they tried no end of centre forwards and i'm sure layne couldnt have been far away from his turn was he was banned .

Guest Therealrealist

Was b4 my time..what sort of money would they have been on in the early 60s?? Just seems such a strange thing to do...was everybody at it and wer our 3 the only ones who got caught?? Just one more thing..anybody seen the film about it 'the fix'? Dodnt know anything about it till yday..i know very little about this all story tbh🤔

Is it horrible/wrong/ bitter of me to question why this wasn’t given as much national press than Luton Shelton that played for the pigs for a season? 

Really don’t want to cause any offence it’s just an opinion. I know it isn’t about competition, just seems a bit odd.

4 hours ago, torryowl said:

i dont think kay would have took moore's place but possibly stiles .......i would have  thought layne would have had a chance of getting into the squad .they tried no end of centre forwards and i'm sure layne couldnt have been far away from his turn was he was banned .

Stiles took the place vacated by Kay who had. Just got into team when banned in 1964.

16 hours ago, captowl said:

Not the story I was told by my Dad who happened to be Petes brother. He was obviously faking being that ill he was hospitalised but lets not let that stop a good rumour on the day he died. 

Much sympathy to the family. I always thought PS had serious illness in Chile. He was all the things described on here, a fast, hard tackling centre half, very dominant in the air and skilful on the ground. His step overs I recall particularly in a home match vs Everton in 1960-1. The partnership with Springett, who was sensational in his first five years, was taken into the England team. The two of them with Kay were the best players at the club, and some of the best of all time.

• Like 1

I worked for many years with an old team mate of peter Swann who always insisted that what happened with the scandal was both commonplace and known about within the game at the time. From what he told me and I have no reason at all to doubt him Swann, layne and Kay were victims of circumstances being big enough names to create headlines and put a stop to something against the spirit of the game but certainly not match fixing . My old mate was a big friend of Swann and bronco but detested kay so couldn’t really be accused of not being impartial. It seems to me we lost 2 great players for their prime years because the fa needed scapegoats and in swanns case probably the best central defender we’ve ever had 

• Thanks 1

I remember Swamy from both eras and he was truly a colossus. He intimidated the opposition and their fans. He always seemed to upset the Man U fans in one way or another. Reflecting on his career I was trying to think who the fourth defender was and I can’t. Then it struck me the formation was 2, 3, 5 if anyone can tell me the other defender with Johnson, Swan, Megson I would appreciate it.

rest in peace and thanks for the memories.

2 minutes ago, Broncolives said:

I remember Swamy from both eras and he was truly a colossus. He intimidated the opposition and their fans. He always seemed to upset the Man U fans in one way or another. Reflecting on his career I was trying to think who the fourth defender was and I can’t. Then it struck me the formation was 2, 3, 5 if anyone can tell me the other defender with Johnson, Swan, Megson I would appreciate it.

rest in peace and thanks for the memories.

Springett

Johnson, Megson

McAnearney, Swan, Kay

• Like 1

On 22/01/2021 at 00:47, Emerson Thome said:

He was well before my time, but a friend of mine with a few more years to his name told me the story of seeing Swan play against Brian Clough.

Apparently Clough came steaming in on Ron Springett, clattering him. So Swan picked up Clough with one hand by his shirt, lifted him two feet in the air, pinned him against the goalpost and just held him there for ages. Clough almost shat himself.

RIP. The ten year ban seemed incredibly harsh, but still sounds like he lived a great life.

I was reading in one paper about Swanny the other day and it was saying how football turned its back on him  .... * He applied for managers jobs in the football league but never got  a reply , on one occasion , when he was Matlock manager , Brian Clough refused to shake his hand ' 

Maybe there was a more deep rooted reason ....... 😉

On 22/01/2021 at 07:53, captowl said:

Very good obituary and great photo in The Times today.

Also mentions the Italy match in Rome of the European tour matches played by England in the summer of 1961, live on BBC,   where PS greatly impressed continental football followers with outstanding displays.

Btw,  PS had lost his place to Maurice Norman of Spurs for the 1962 World Cup because of serious illness in Chile after going there with tonsilitis and Norman became the man in possession. Ramsey did not pick him,

By the time the story broke in the press in April 1964 about the betting, Swan had been out of the England team for 18 months. Norman broke a leg very badly in 1965 and J Charlton came into the team

• Like 1