Roy Keane

I don’t for one minute think Keane will be our next manager but I find the fact that some of our fans call him a terrible manager laughable. He took Sunderland up and then they stayed up ,yes he may have spent a bit of money but many managers and teams have spent big on trying to achieve promotion ( we should know ) and then stay in the premier league he achieved both . At Ipswich he was average that’s all . I don’t recall Ipswich spending big or being one of the favourites for promotion. Thompson will get the job anyway. 

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Big Jack said:

Of course no argument, Big Jack's record as player and manager speaks for itself. Of course as a player he knew how to handle himself and very rarely lost physical  battles. However as a manger he treated all equally and he would never of resorted to physical violence unlike Kean. Big Jack got great respect from his players and was an excellent diplomat for football. You could never say that about Kean.

You make a good point

2 hours ago, Avon barksdale said:

I don’t for one minute think Keane will be our next manager but I find the fact that some of our fans call him a terrible manager laughable. He took Sunderland up and then they stayed up ,yes he may have spent a bit of money but many managers and teams have spent big on trying to achieve promotion ( we should know ) and then stay in the premier league he achieved both . At Ipswich he was average that’s all . I don’t recall Ipswich spending big or being one of the favourites for promotion. Thompson will get the job anyway. 

Yes it’s subjective isn’t it. I saw one poster say Keane was an awful manager.  He took over at Sunderland when they were in the relegation zone and hopeless, signed some players and got them promoted in the same season.  Is it his fault he was given that money to sign those players? No. He should be applauded that he actually spent the money wisely to make a promotion side, unlike some teams I can think of. 
As you say, he then kept them up in the PL and the following season were in a relegation scrap. Better than Sunderland are doing now tho.

and agree at Ipswich we was average but then so is Ipswich - and their fortunes have got worse since he left, so it’s hard to say who is to blame for that. Did he start the rot? Or was the rot already there? 

Anyway, he won’t be owls manager but I wouldn’t say he’s as bad as others who are being linked to the job.  

• Thanks 1

On 10/01/2021 at 09:41, gurujuan said:

No way, listen to some of his punditry, talk about someone being stuck in the past Completely out of touch with today’s football

Flip side of this, look how relevant he is. Keeping involved with the game, attending a large number of matches, he will be well aware of how football has evolved. 

Imagine Roy Keane being a mentor to Liam Shaw.  

I'm not against it or for it. What will be, will be. 

Guest everydays_wednesday
2 hours ago, Gob_Bluth said:

He kept them in the Premier League the same season Tony Pulis got his last promotion with Stoke

So thats how long we're talking about.

He's a terrible manager, there's a reason no ones given him a main man job since Ipswich

Maybe he hasn’t applied for one or he has turned offers down ?!

9 hours ago, Avon barksdale said:

Exactly , early 90’s before Injuries took there toll Keane was brilliant , he had everything for a centre midfielder . In the modern premier league only Kante comes close . If pogba cost 90 mill ,Keane would be worth double that. I’d have him as manager no danger . 

No correlation between being an outstanding player and outstanding manager. Keane doesn’t have the track record in management  to be considered for the job. He doesn’t have the emotional intelligence to adapt to working with the modern footballer. His ego is too big to compromise. NO, NO & THRICE NO ! ! !

9 hours ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

I think I, like probably a lot of people, are perhaps too quick to say 'oh god no' to every manager linked with the football club. 

Not really , just the “way out of left-field’ “smacks of desperation” candidates like Barton, Coleman and Keane. From what I’ve read, Cook, Fink, Pearson are broadly accepted. All available, over to you DC 

18 minutes ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

No correlation between being an outstanding player and outstanding manager. Keane doesn’t have the track record in management  to be considered for the job. He doesn’t have the emotional intelligence to adapt to working with the modern footballer. His ego is too big to compromise. NO, NO & THRICE NO ! ! !

Never said he was an outstanding manager I was replying to someone who said he’d made a career out of kicking Haaland . As for the owls job , no he won’t be considered but I’d take him over Barton , Coleman , morais and some others mentioned . 

• Like 2