Roy Keane

His punditry at one point was mental and you could see why he had difficulty at clubs. I have noticed he has been far more controlled and sensible in his views in last month and wondered what had happened, he is looking for work. 

He probably is a good motivator but needs technical and tactical support around him. Without this he would be liability. I do not think he has anybody can call on as he was very much his own man. 

To be a success often depends on you selecting right assistants. They have to be strong in areas you are not. For example Wilkinson always wanted loud motivator with him. He was very good tactically but needed somebody lively in team to make it work. 

Pearson is useless as a manager without Craig Shakespeare as his assistant. Together they are very good. Shakespeare this season assistant at Villa and improvement has been noticeable in them. Hence Pearson wanting work as manager without Shakespeare is a huge risk.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/01/2021 at 12:00, shandypants said:

This was one of the worst tackles ever but, intentionally or not, he built his career on the back of it. 

I wouldn’t want him as a manager. 

It was a horrendous tackle but he didnt build a career out of it he'd already had an outstanding one, prior to that tackle

If you’d asked me 3 or 4 years ago I’d have said no way.

He seems to have almost matured a bit more recently, he’s still got a sharp tongue but seems to channel it with a different energy.

I still think we need a manager bigger than the club (reputation wise) he would provide that...so I wouldn’t be unhappy with this appointment

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

If you’d asked me 3 or 4 years ago I’d have said no way.

He seems to have almost matured a bit more recently, he’s still got a sharp tongue but seems to channel it with a different energy.

I still think we need a manager bigger than the club (reputation wise) he would provide that...so I wouldn’t be unhappy with this appointment

Thats a great point by the way 

57 minutes ago, PARKOWL said:

It was a horrendous tackle but he didnt build a career out of it he'd already had an outstanding one, prior to that tackle

Exactly , early 90’s before Injuries took there toll Keane was brilliant , he had everything for a centre midfielder . In the modern premier league only Kante comes close . If pogba cost 90 mill ,Keane would be worth double that. I’d have him as manager no danger . 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Avon barksdale said:

Exactly , early 90’s before Injuries took there toll Keane was brilliant , he had everything for a centre midfielder . In the modern premier league only Kante comes close . If pogba cost 90 mill ,Keane would be worth double that. I’d have him as manager no danger . 

Hard to compare players from another era, but he certainly had everything as a midfielder. Not sure about Kante though, maybe the Leicester, early Chelsea vintage, but there are one or two better than him now Listening to Keane as a pundit though, I can’t say his ideas on how football should be played, are particularly enlightening

Edited by gurujuan

3 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Hard to compare players from another era, but he certainly had everything as a midfielder. Not sure about Kante though, maybe the Leicester, early Chelsea vintage, but there are one or two better than him now Listening to Keane as a pundit though, I can say his ideas on how football should be played, are particularly enlightening

Only used Kante as I can’t think of anyone else who can do a bit of everything , nowadays your either attacking mid or defensive mid which is sad IMO. Would you have Keane as manager ?