Roy Keane

21 hours ago, Big Rons Hairspray said:

That Sunderland side lost 5 games on the bounce before Niall Quinn sacked himself & appointed Keane.

Keane did a great job that year.

Not quite accurate. 4 losses, but he won his last game, against West brom.

But ok, I'll give you that he's better than Niall Quinn.. a guy who's never had a permanent mangers job and perhaps has never sought one. Glowing endorsement that.

37 minutes ago, cookeh said:

Not quite accurate. 4 losses, but he won his last game, against West brom.

But ok, I'll give you that he's better than Niall Quinn.. a guy who's never had a permanent mangers job and perhaps has never sought one. Glowing endorsement that.

I think it is accurate, the five consecutive games lost were across the league & league cup.

I don’t dispute he won a game.

My point was more that Sunderland were not the runaway best side in the league that year as you suggested.

He might not be the right man for Wednesday but he did a good job that season.

15 hours ago, Avon barksdale said:

Never said he was an outstanding manager I was replying to someone who said he’d made a career out of kicking Haaland . As for the owls job , no he won’t be considered but I’d take him over Barton , Coleman , morais and some others mentioned . 

Paul Cook was a very underrated player, but had a real edge about him. 

On 12/01/2021 at 10:52, FreshOwl said:

I’d actually have him here.

He is a dying breed and the players would respect him. 

Plus he’ll have strong contacts 

Why on earth would anyone respect him? 

Shouting your mouth off at every opportunity and trying to intimidate people doesn't earn you respect. 

5 minutes ago, NorthernOwl said:

Why on earth would anyone respect him? 

Shouting your mouth off at every opportunity and trying to intimidate people doesn't earn you respect. 

For the career he’s had.

He’s spot on with practically everything he says. The reason some might not like it is because it’s home truths 

16 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

For the career he’s had.

He’s spot on with practically everything he says. The reason some might not like it is because it’s home truths 

Respecting someone as a player and as a manager are two very different things.

The bloke is little more than a bully and a thug, hardly attributes that make for a successful manager.

4 minutes ago, NorthernOwl said:

Respecting someone as a player and as a manager are two very different things.

The bloke is little more than a bully and a thug, hardly attributes that make for a successful manager.

Apart from a few incidents in the Irish camp I’ve not heard of him ‘bully’ anyone else. And with his spats with Harry Arter and Jon Walters, we haven’t heard Keanes side. Maybe they were unprofessional/not pulling their weight. What about his time at Sunderland and Ipswich, any accounts of bullying there? 

9 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

Apart from a few incidents in the Irish camp I’ve not heard of him ‘bully’ anyone else. And with his spats with Harry Arter and Jon Walters, we haven’t heard Keanes side. Maybe they were unprofessional/not pulling their weight. What about his time at Sunderland and Ipswich, any accounts of bullying there? 

"Apart from a few incidents" 

I rest my case. How many incidents of bullying do you think are acceptable?

And these are only the ones that went public.