The GuruJuan Transfer Megathread 2021 (and beyond)

Guest wilyfox

39 minutes ago, CourteenerOwl said:

Tudgay did not have attributes that would make him that different in the league below, neither did Morrison who was also way past his best.

Windass has movement and mobility that should be too much for most league 1 CBs. He scored 9 goals in the championship, whilst missing large chunks. I would expect him to score at least double in the league below.

He is coming into his prime too. 

By your method of thinking Norwich City should never have signed Grant Holt as he had never scored more than 15 league goals in the Championship or League 1 before they signed him. 

Daryl Murphy at Ipswich is another one who had never scored more than 20 in a season and then started to do it regularly. 

I don't think you can just dismiss a player ability to achieve something based on the past, especially as Windass is still relatively young and has been improving his all round game. From watching league 1 games this season, Windass would score frequently for me.

Not dismissing him mate. I really hope you are right. I just haven’t seen anything in his time here that suggests he will suddenly becoming prolific

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

Fair points. I'd genuinely be gobsmacked if he managed more than about 13 league goals if he stays with us. 

So you'd be gobsmacked if he scored 3 more goals next season  than in the league above the season just gone? I'll spin it round and say I'll be gobsmacked if he doesn't score 13 or more next season if he stays with us.

• Like 1

I’ve just read the article on our interest in Chucks Aneke and it looks like Charlton will want to keep him. I flagged him up a few weeks ago as the type of player we should be looking at so I’m over the moon we have been linked as that breaks my 100% fail rate on raising names I think I’d like us to at least be looking at!

The reason I think we need an Aneke type of player is it should help the other strikers assuming we are going with a one up top and two just behind. I’ve always liked Windass and I don’t know if he’s a 20 goal man or not but I’m absolutely certain his value is as a forward player off a main striker. I think he will contribute goals and assists in that role. No doubt we will sell him and never get the chance to find out. 

• Like 2

The more I think about our summer recruitment drive the more angry I get at the state of our football club.

It's going to be untested loan players and Sunday league bargains, who don't turn out to be bargains.

If things are not sorted properly we could be staring down the barrel of L2.

It's sad but I can't see any positives ATM.

Edited by Paddyowl
  • Like 1

Sign the right striker/target man ( easy said than done admitted) and play windass off him think windass will contribute enough to have us challenge? Matt Smith be my choice big ugly Handful that still scores and occupies defenders which should allow others bit of space, league one will be 46 battles and need players willing to have a go 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

I’ve just read the article on our interest in Chucks Aneke and it looks like Charlton will want to keep him. I flagged him up a few weeks ago as the type of player we should be looking at so I’m over the moon we have been linked as that breaks my 100% fail rate on raising names I think I’d like us to at least be looking at!

The reason I think we need an Aneke type of player is it should help the other strikers assuming we are going with a one up top and two just behind. I’ve always liked Windass and I don’t know if he’s a 20 goal man or not but I’m absolutely certain his value is as a forward player off a main striker. I think he will contribute goals and assists in that role. No doubt we will sell him and never get the chance to find out. 

His goal return is phenomenal considering he only started 10 games. Apparently, he is not capable of starting games week in, week out, due to a significant fitness issue. He will fit right in here.

I'd like more pace, ball winners and physicality in the team. More teams can play at that level it seems, than last time we were there but at that level and throughout the football league, it seems you need a mix of pace; physicality, ball winners, youth and experience to be more effective.

Last time we were in the third tier, we had the likes of Reda and Llera, mixed with the likes of Marshall; Antonio, Lowe and Madine. It wasn't pretty but it was effective, solid and exciting at times. I think we need something similar but more suited to the way Darren Moore and his staff want to play. Ball winners, energy and width will be key I think, my biggest fear is that the recruitment won't improve enough and we'll be stuck scrapping to survive in the lower leagues for some time. 

13 minutes ago, TINGLE75 said:

Marcus Maddison has signed for Spalding! Am I thinking of a different player? Ex Peterborough??

Think he's got personal issues , taking time out of the game to spend with his family so that move will obviously be part time.

56 minutes ago, CourteenerOwl said:

Just watching Blackpool vs Oxford.

Two players standing out for me who we might be able to sign. Both good ages and with points to prove.

Brandon Barker 

Jerry Yates

Simms is the one we should have signed on loan this season

Looks a real prospect 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, s29wfc said:

Think he's got personal issues , taking time out of the game to spend with his family so that move will obviously be part time.

Oh right fair enough. I was just shocked to see it. A bit like Ben Marshall down in non league

3 minutes ago, TINGLE75 said:

Oh right fair enough. I was just shocked to see it. A bit like Ben Marshall down in non league

To be fair there's been better players at that level at both ends of their careers to them. Didn't the iconic Sócrates come out of retirement to coach and play at non league level in the early 2000s and also remember Chris Waddle finishing up in non league too, among others along with most famously in modern times the likes of Ian Wright, Antonio and Vardy rose out of non league too. 

6 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Much rather have Windass.

Has Aneke ever played above League One?

Could be a while until we do again to be honest 🙈

Think Aneke was relegated with Charlton from the second tier the other year but only scored 1 goal or something, banged them in this season in the third tier. Regardless of what levels players have played at or what leagues players have done the business in or not, we need more players that can do the business in the third tier. But I think we need a good mix of youth; experience, lower level players, players you'd think that can play higher, ball winners, energetic players and physical players. A bit like the mix we had the last time we were at this level?