The GuruJuan Transfer Megathread 2021 (and beyond)

Guest wilyfox

17 minutes ago, vulva said:

That’s the time to have moist pants. Honestly don’t know how some of you lot through the day. 

I have a great balance. Live my best life and in my down time have a moan on Owlstalk. It’s great.

Imagine how good it would be if the club gave me nothing to moan about 

18 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

I have a great balance. Live my best life and in my down time have a moan on Owlstalk. It’s great.

Imagine how unbelievable it would be if we got our business done before pre-season training. So the team have 5-6 weeks to get match fit and used to playing DM way and we started the first game to win.

Instead of scrabbling around on the last day of the transfer window paying 2 or 3 times more for crap not wanted by others having already played 5 games and lost a few with no attacking threat then spending the next 3 months getting the loan players fit because they had no pre-season.

Has no one ever noticed other teams that get their business done early don't seem to get the level of injuries we do. Maybe just maybe it might be the way to go.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

You have hell of a lot of down time 

48 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

There's an irrefutable truth in the middle of that last sentence.

On 16/05/2021 at 13:51, malek said:

Played wing back as Rochdale used 3 in their back line, though. Good player that can play bot FB and WB and can cover both flanks. Very consistent performer that one their POTY award.

Aaron Morley, Oliver Rathbone and Stephen Humphrys are all worth taking a look at. Neither would cost much and are all good players at right age that could improve and in time perhaps play at level above.

Plenty of good left backs available on free this Summer: Jimmy Keohane, Josh Ruffels, Connor Ogilvie, Reece James, Luke Garbutt and Amari Bell.

Any of these with Galvin as back up would do for next season (Garbutt would be my last pick)

Can see Ruffels comfortably making the step up into the Championship.

Much like his former teammate, Rob Dickie at QPR, has done.

If he's available on a free, we'd be foolish not to explore the possibility of bringing him in.

I like the look of Amari Bell as well. Speed merchant, probably lacks the technical ability, but another player, who has the ability to play at Championship level, purely due to his athleticism as a modern day full back.

• Like 1

I would imagine that our Club's talks with players' agents about next season and beyond have started this week, so not surprised that no-one has info on extending options.

Unless a player is very comfortable where he is, no agent is going to commit to a contract for a few weeks yet, just in case they find a pot of gold (from which they will get a healthy share).  So pointless to surmise on who's going where for a while, they are still under contract until 30th June.

It is correct to say, in my opinion, that we should be monitoring and improving our reporting to the powers-that-be and get the most promising on at least 2 year deals with 12 months option.

By the way, I should love to know how the urban myths arise about Joey on 12k a week and Cam on 7k - both be lucky to be on 5k.

Dunno what people are rolling there eyes for with Chuks Aneke 

15 goals last season, we currently have nobody signed up for next season with the potential of achieving that ? 

7 minutes ago, Royal_D said:

Dunno what people are rolling there eyes for with Chuks Aneke 

15 goals last season, we currently have nobody signed up for next season with the potential of achieving that ? 

IF we don’t sell Windass I could see him as a 15-20 goal man in league one. Of course though it would be nice to have another player that can do the same. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

IF we don’t sell Windass I could see him as a 15-20 goal man in league one. Of course though it would be nice to have another player that can do the same. 

Possibly,   But like you say , we need 2 if not 3 with the capability of getting double figures 

11 hours ago, WalthamOwl said:

Windass is a miles better player than Chucks Aneke.

What would we get for Windass realistically? 2m?

It's worth more for us to keep Windass than to sell. He should get 20 goals in League 1.

43 minutes ago, CourteenerOwl said:

Windass is a miles better player than Chucks Aneke.

What would we get for Windass realistically? 2m?

It's worth more for us to keep Windass than to sell. He should get 20 goals in League 1.

The guy has never scored more than 16 and that was once in League 2. I keep hearing about how he can score for fun but he's never really shown that. Mainly because he isn't comfortable as a full striker. 

It reminds me of similar conversations where people said Tudgay would get 20+ in League 1 and he got 2 goals in 17 games. A worse ratio than he had in the Champ. Same when we signed Clinton Morrison. 

I actually think we are forbidden, as a club, of getting someone that can score 20 goals. It never happens for us. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

The guy has never scored more than 16 and that was once in League 2. I keep hearing about how he can score for fun but he's never really shown that. Mainly because he isn't comfortable as a full striker. 

It reminds me of similar conversations where people said Tudgay would get 20+ in League 1 and he got 2 goals in 17 games. A worse ratio than he had in the Champ. Same when we signed Clinton Morrison. 

I actually think we are forbidden, as a club, of getting someone that can score 20 goals. It never happens for us. 

Feel the same about windas I just can’t see him scoring twenty in any league. Far too inconsistent. We ridicule the blades for thinking their strikers will score shed loads at a lower level, but take it for granted ours will.  I honestly don’t think we have a player at the club at the moment capable of scoring that many goals. 

42 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

Tudgay did not have attributes that would make him that different in the league below, neither did Morrison who was also way past his best.

Windass has movement and mobility that should be too much for most league 1 CBs. He scored 9 goals in the championship, whilst missing large chunks. I would expect him to score at least double in the league below.

He is coming into his prime too. 

By your method of thinking Norwich City should never have signed Grant Holt as he had never scored more than 15 league goals in the Championship or League 1 before they signed him. 

Daryl Murphy at Ipswich is another one who had never scored more than 20 in a season and then started to do it regularly. 

I don't think you can just dismiss a player ability to achieve something based on the past, especially as Windass is still relatively young and has been improving his all round game. From watching league 1 games this season, Windass would score frequently for me.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, CourteenerOwl said:

Tudgay did not have attributes that would make him that different in the league below, neither did Morrison who was also way past his best.

Windass has movement and mobility that should be too much for most league 1 CBs. He scored 9 goals in the championship, whilst missing large chunks. I would expect him to score at least double in the league below.

He is coming into his prime too. 

By your method of thinking Norwich City should never have signed Grant Holt as he had never scored more than 15 league goals in the Championship or League 1 before they signed him. 

Daryl Murphy at Ipswich is another one who had never scored more than 20 in a season and then started to do it regularly. 

I don't think you can just dismiss a player ability to achieve something based on the past, especially as Windass is still relatively young and has been improving his all round game. From watching league 1 games this season, Windass would score frequently for me.

Fair points. I'd genuinely be gobsmacked if he managed more than about 13 league goals if he stays with us.