Next manager odds

Thompson seems a relaxed type of guy who won’t get flustered, win, lose or draw.

Seeing as I think we are looking things simply in the short term and that is the task of staying up then I think keeping things the way they currently are gives us our best chance of achieving safety.

It’s been proven that this group of players are very fragile mentally. They are what we have for the rest of the season and someone like Thompson who will treat them with kid gloves is likely to get more out of them than anyone else?

Yes, it’s a risk but no more than appointing anyone from the outside is?

41 minutes ago, prowl said:

The betting market is designed to make money for the betting companies. I'm sure it's working perfectly. lol

Yes but this has stagnated which is not good for them. You see occasional movements in price of Roy Keane,  Paco Jemez, these are clearly designed to gather interest and hopefully build momentum. It possibly worked with Darren Moore as their apparently been no official contact  and shortening of price encouraged some to make bets on him. Bookies probably like a Wednesday manager betting event as our hesitation allows several themes to develop and increase size of book and profit. 

At the moment the odds are just wrong with what is known on this market and I am not sure it helps bookies. Ivic has been offered job over two weeks ago. He is still in country clearly has refused job and hanging about does not help him if he wants to make success of it.  Therefore why favourite?

36 minutes ago, sage owl said:

Would giving the job to Thompson mean DC has accepted relegation ?.

Suggests to me that the players like Thompson and it'll be a similar situation to Bullet, giving us time to eventually get a foreign coach. If that pans out, hopefully Thompson continues to get results because another patient wait like Bruce's appointment would be risky in our current situation. 

2 minutes ago, Quist said:

He is still in country clearly has refused job and hanging about does not help him if he wants to make success of it. 

Clearly refused job ? But hanging about does not help him if he wants to make a success of it ? So he's refused but wants to make a success of it ? Is English your second language ? 🤣

1 hour ago, WalthamOwl said:

my biggest worry with Thompson is if and when things start to go wrong, losing a few games in a row. Will Thompson have the knowledge to change things up and give the players confidence to get us out of it. I think it’s a risk we can’t afford to take especially when we are in so much crap already. 

Agree. No, of course he won't have extensive managerial experience, which is why he's our assistant coach....but what confidence is a short term managerial appointment going to make.... can't do any work with the players on shape, tactics etc  between games. 

Takes time to settle, we now don't have time and the playerss know if they don't like him, he will be gone at the end of the season. 

I wanted a proper manager in at the beginning of January, but where we are now Thompson looking a credible option. You never know, the players might  actually take some responsibility for a change  and help him out.

Chansiri wants a coach to work with what he's given, Thompson is a very good coach, knows the players inside out, morale is good,  he has experience of developing younger players, wants to be more attacking and we've been on a decent run. Ticks a lot of boxes in our current circumstances.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, The Night-Owl said:

Suggests to me that the players like Thompson and it'll be a similar situation to Bullet, giving us time to eventually get a foreign coach. If that pans out, hopefully Thompson continues to get results because another patient wait like Bruce's appointment would be risky in our current situation. 

Getting foreign coach at moment not easy and nothing to say it will be in summer. most of these journeymen who are thrown up as possible, most would not satisfy work permit rules. The big names would not have money to work with and that would not suit them. I just do not see this happening.

5 minutes ago, daveyboy66 said:

Clearly refused job ? But hanging about does not help him if he wants to make a success of it ? So he's refused but wants to make a success of it ? Is English your second language ? 🤣

It is so nice to have a pedantic arsehole on the site. 

I think you know what I meant if you do not just ignore it.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, Quist said:

Getting foreign coach at moment not easy and nothing to say it will be in summer. most of these journeymen who are thrown up as possible, most would not satisfy work permit rules. The big names would not have money to work with and that would not suit them. I just do not see this happening.

We'll see, my feeling is Thompson will get it temporary or short term, then eventually we'll get a foreign coach, dunno about the permits but it's a good point. Perhaps that's the thinking behind letting Thompson stay in charge, until we find the right man that also meets the work permit requirements or something?