Next manager odds

8 minutes ago, fpowl said:

Think there’s some very narrow minded and naive views on Thompson’s ability to manage and a match day and coach this team 

Thompson has spent years in the dugout he’s no apprentice to what he’s doing 

managers make the overlining decisions on most footballing matters but anybody who watches football will see the coaches on the sidelines are the ones making the notes and feeding the managers they will also be heavily involved in sometimes in control of planning training and match day tactics 

in a lot of sense the manager is the spokes man and the one who carries the responsibility of the team

why do people think managers or head coaches bring in their own back room staff 

We can do a lot worse if we are looking for a coach than appointing Thompson 

if our recruitment team is briefed to select and bring players in for the squad and they are looking at certain players to play a certain way and our coach is briefed to coach these players and play certain way then could it be we already have the right people driving the chairman’s philosophy 

thing is for many he just won’t be popular enough which is just crazy 

he’s done nothing wrong so far apart from turning our results into more positive ones 

Ask yourself this. If Thompson was at a similar club in a similar situation, lets say Derby. Would you want him to come here as our manager ahead of some of the other candidates ?

15 minutes ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Ask yourself this. If Thompson was at a similar club in a similar situation, lets say Derby. Would you want him to come here as our manager ahead of some of the other candidates ?

That's not a fair comparison though; Thompson is here, he knows the set up (and all its flaws), he knows the players and they know and seemingly respect him... That might be the only advantage he has over the other candidates, but it's an extremely significant one IMO.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, sherlyegg said:

Maybe he had to renew work permit..maybe he said no, not on them terms. Maybe chansiri got back to him with new offer...take it or leave it.. need to know by....

Though if me, I wouldn't offer it anyone who dallied...

With work permit he was working already in country. It would take 3/4 days to get permit. It is over 2 weeks since first offered job, it is possible DC went back but think that was rejected too. John Harkes was obviously in loop on this one and said would be announced twice giving two dates. Hence why I think we went back. it makes no sense for him to hesitate.

The club spoke to Cook and The Bizzle said would be announced somebody did not like what was said and no one got back to him. 

DC is hoping Thompson is saviour and performs miracles. DC obviously is unable to make his mind up what to do.. The trashy contenders served up by normal advisor are obvious duds (Coleman) or can not get work permit. To my mind he is left with Thomson or going with Cook and accepting change in method of working. Do not see any other realistic option. If he goes for anything other than Cook and it fails it will be one almighty shitstorm after TP fiasco. 

Think majority of fans wanting Cook and really high percentage happy with appointment if it was made/ This has made DCs job more difficult to appoint anyone other than Cook. In reality reason most fans would be happy with Cook is their are very few realistic alternatives. Also media (Biggs, Howson, Prutton, Andrews, Carragher) has indicated Cook is best choice for post. It rarely happens you get such unity of thought. DC and or one of his advisors may not want Cook but they have backs to wall and only Thomson can help them out.

News we have bid for Pickering indicates change in wind when did we last try and buy promising young player. Probably Joao but he was older than Pickering. Very interesting next week. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Big Jack said:

So what you saying is  leaving NT in charge means we are getting relegated! Tbh the opposite could be true, nothing is guaranteed either way. If the players believe in their coach then leave it alone. New coach may get it sorted but takes time to build that trust and as I have said previously we don't have that luxury.

No I’m just asking a question.

17 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Imo we need a bit of a character, someone that can build the players confidence up after a defeat or 2. Not just let them down tools like they have under every other manager. When the going gets tough I’m not sure Thompson would be that person. 

Yes it would be difficult to know, especially since he hasn't had a defeat or 2.

What we need is a top manager who is used to losing..😁

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Bing Cosby said:

That's not a fair comparison though; Thompson is here, he knows the set up (and all its flaws), he knows the players and they know and seemingly respect him... That might be the only advantage he has over the other candidates, but it's an extremely significant one IMO.

It is a fair comparison. His CV, background and achievements to date do not qualify him to manage SWFC. It’s the heart ruling the head to suggest otherwise. He’s a decent bloke, one of ours and he oversaw 2 decent results. That’s all. Any decent manager will get to know the players quickly, will form their own opinions quickly and can ask the opinion of the likes of Thompson and Bullen.

35 minutes ago, Quist said:

With work permit he was working already in country. It would take 3/4 days to get permit. It is over 2 weeks since first offered job, it is possible DC went back but think that was rejected too. John Harkes was obviously in loop on this one and said would be announced twice giving two dates. Hence why I think we went back. it makes no sense for him to hesitate.

The club spoke to Cook and The Bizzle said would be announced somebody did not like what was said and no one got back to him. 

DC is hoping Thompson is saviour and performs miracles. DC obviously is unable to make his mind up what to do.. The trashy contenders served up by normal advisor are obvious duds (Coleman) or can not get work permit. To my mind he is left with Thomson or going with Cook and accepting change in method of working. Do not see any other realistic option. If he goes for anything other than Cook and it fails it will be one almighty shitstorm after TP fiasco. 

Think majority of fans wanting Cook and really high percentage happy with appointment if it was made/ This has made DCs job more difficult to appoint anyone other than Cook. In reality reason most fans would be happy with Cook is their are very few realistic alternatives. Also media (Biggs, Howson, Prutton, Andrews, Carragher) has indicated Cook is best choice for post. It rarely happens you get such unity of thought. DC and or one of his advisors may not want Cook but they have backs to wall and only Thomson can help them out.

News we have bid for Pickering indicates change in wind when did we last try and buy promising young player. Probably Joao but he was older than Pickering. Very interesting next week. 

yes a bid for Pickering indicates a change but then we re-sign Hutchinson, an injury prone players past his best. 

31 minutes ago, Quist said:

Cook would be a sensible appointment, he seems ideal, a manager I would love to see us have. However, the longer it's dragged on, the less likely it's become and the more likely that Thompson will get the job longer, at least until someone's appointed.

Jokanovic would be my choice but if not I'd like us to get Cook or to wait and give it to Thompson.

The reasons against Cook looking unlikely are that he wants a long term deal, according to the Cardiff reports and he wants to manage rather than being a head coach. That's far more likely than a change of direction or DC learning from his mistakes. It seems to me that it's Thompson's in the short term or perhaps longer or until we're able to appoint someone like Ivic or Jokanovic. 

56 minutes ago, Bing Cosby said:

He would also be given no leeway with a section of fans as he knows the squad, he leaves himself open to the allegation of being part of problem if we go on a winless run. Just like monk and pulis a few on hear will jump on him and will be waiting for him to fail so they can say "I told you so"

I'm also sceptical of players coming out in support of people as some could be saying things through self interest