Next manager odds

I just hope it’s a coach who will improve the players Even if it’s someone like Ivic, who’s more defensively minded, as long as it’s done by controlling the situation That’s the difference between the defensive tactics of Pulis, and the way Carlos did it in year two. Without significant investment, we are unlikely to set up as a free flowing side, sweeping all before them. We are reasonably secure at the back and probably do have the ingredients to create a midfield that can keep the ball A good coach will encourage those players to keep the ball better. If we can bring in enough of an attacking threat in this window, even if it’s only short term, we might have enough to turn a few draws into wins. Although I mentioned Ivic, I have no real preference, as long as it is a coach/manager who can work with, and improve the players we have

• Like 2

It's now at the stage where the impact of a new manager will be limited. We are about to play Saturday and midweek for the foreseeable future, with no time to work on the training ground and we know there is limited input in recruitment and the window about to close in a week or so anyway.

Players seem to be enjoying working under Thompson, I accept the substitute teacher effect will wear off, but he's best placed right now to prepare for the busy schedule of games coming up. He's a good coach and knows the players inside out. I also think he's more experienced and confident in himself than Bullen was.

If Chansiri thinks he can parachute in a foreign manager or someone like Ivanovic (who would be awful) with his 22 games experience without knowledge of the players and the league  he's is reckless beyond comprehension.

Team spirit seems high and soundbites from the players suggest a more attacking approach....which is what we want.  Thompson is also primarily a coach (and one used to developing youth) and happy to work with the model Chansiri wants, working with players he's given. 

In fairness with his limited managerial experience in 2004, if we put an 'ovic' on his name Thompsonovic may well have been on Paxo's obscure manager shortlist 😀

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Standidno said:

I did t want gray then and I don’t want Thompson now but looking back Gray was a sensible choice back then given he did so well.

That's a good shout - I was relieved to be rid of Jones but underwhelmed by Gray's appointment at the time. In retrospect, he's in the top 3-4 managers we've had since relegation  (along with Carvalhal, Sturrock and Laws,).

Can you imagine how frustrating it is to be Roy Keane? Hard man good looks, fantastic footballer, still at his playing weight…………squeaky voice like Carragher! 

Imagine how freetnin he’d be if he had a voice like Liam Neeson. Any touch line shenanigans from McCarthy, he’d fix him with those undoubtedly scary eyes and say 'Any more time wasting Mick the pr1k, I will find you and I will kill you'. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, striker said:

It's now at the stage where the impact of a new manager will be limited. We are about to play Saturday and midweek for the foreseeable future, with no time to work on the training ground and we know there is limited input in recruitment and the window about to close in a week or so anyway.

Players seem to be enjoying working under Thompson, I accept the substitute teacher effect will wear off, but he's best placed right now to prepare for the busy schedule of games coming up. He's a good coach and knows the players inside out. I also think he's more experienced and confident in himself than Bullen was.

If Chansiri thinks he can parachute in a foreign manager or someone like Ivanovic (who would be awful) with his 22 games experience without knowledge of the players and the league  he's is reckless beyond comprehension.

Team spirit seems high and soundbites from the players suggest a more attacking approach....which is what we want.  Thompson is also primarily a coach (and one used to developing youth) and happy to work with the model Chansiri wants, working with players he's given. 

In fairness with his limited managerial experience in 2004, if we put an 'ovic' on his name Thompsonovic may well have been on Paxo's obscure manager shortlist 😀

my biggest worry with Thompson is if and when things start to go wrong, losing a few games in a row. Will Thompson have the knowledge to change things up and give the players confidence to get us out of it. I think it’s a risk we can’t afford to take especially when we are in so much crap already. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WalthamOwl said:

my biggest worry with Thompson is if and when things start to go wrong, losing a few games in a row. Will Thompson have the knowledge to change things up and give the players confidence to get us out of it. I think it’s a risk we can’t afford to take especially when we are in so much crap already. 

He won't get chance. 2 or 3 losses and DC will bin him and the search will start again. We need stability.

Personally I think we are 50/50 to go down. We've left it very late to bring someone in. This last period would have been a fantastic chance for a new manager to get his ideas across or to settle new players in. It's been wasted, now we are into a lot of games quickly with a weak squad an either no manager or a manager who can't influence things. Nice one DC, it's almost like he wants to throw all his investment away. He's never experienced life in Div 1, it won't be pleasant for him. (or us)

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, prowl said:

He won't get chance. 2 or 3 losses and DC will bin him and the search will start again. We need stability.

Personally I think we are 50/50 to go down. We've left it very late to bring someone in. This last period would have been a fantastic chance for a new manager to get his ideas across or to settle new players in. It's been wasted, now we are into a lot of games quickly with a weak squad an either no manager or a manager who can't influence things. Nice one DC, it's almost like he wants to throw all his investment away. He's never experienced life in Div 1, it won't be pleasant for him. (or us)

Definitely, this should have been a time to get the new manager in, let him work with the players and get his ideas across. Instead it has been wasted and now the games are coming thick and fast. Yet more shocking planning from Chansiri that imo will cost us our place in the league if it isn’t sorted in the next few days. 

The betting market is flawed Ivic does not want the job and he is favourite. initially thought this guy would do a job for us but have read more about him and his cautious style would not go down well with some of our fans. He played very negatively at Watford. 

Cook spelled out what he expected and nobody got back to him. Apparently views on panel were split some wanted some did not.

Thompson is default option and DC does not have complete confidence in him or he would have been given job.

Foreign managers are effectively rules out now with travel ban and Brexit putting paid to Paixao list of misfits. 

Moore I can not see happening as we have not et tried to prise manager from another club under DC.

Keane is not the man for this situation and would be shocked if he even considered the job. 

Therefore its either Thompson or DC / Advisors wind necks in and go for Cook or even Cowley (although his style less appealing than Cooks).

I detect change in policy is brewing with us trying to buy Nick Pickering from Crewe. green is also a more mobile option than we have bought previously. 

Think market needs reforming and can only assume stagnation is due to no activity re manager in last week from DC. Prior to this week with Covid outbreak you could understand no appointment being made as training ground closed. This week is just procrastination.

9 minutes ago, Quist said:

The betting market is flawed Ivic does not want the job and he is favourite. initially thought this guy would do a job for us but have read more about him and his cautious style would not go down well with some of our fans. He played very negatively at Watford. 

Cook spelled out what he expected and nobody got back to him. Apparently views on panel were split some wanted some did not.

Thompson is default option and DC does not have complete confidence in him or he would have been given job.

Foreign managers are effectively rules out now with travel ban and Brexit putting paid to Paixao list of misfits. 

Moore I can not see happening as we have not et tried to prise manager from another club under DC.

Keane is not the man for this situation and would be shocked if he even considered the job. 

Therefore its either Thompson or DC / Advisors wind necks in and go for Cook or even Cowley (although his style less appealing than Cooks).

I detect change in policy is brewing with us trying to buy Nick Pickering from Crewe. green is also a more mobile option than we have bought previously. 

Think market needs reforming and can only assume stagnation is due to no activity re manager in last week from DC. Prior to this week with Covid outbreak you could understand no appointment being made as training ground closed. This week is just procrastination.

The betting market is designed to make money for the betting companies. I'm sure it's working perfectly. lol

13 hours ago, WalthamOwl said:

reckon Keane would actually come out and tell us what Chansiri was like if he got sacked. Would love to hear that!

Be a good job dc in Thailand cus reckon 2 stubborn people in one room each thinking they are right whilst having a shall we say heated conversation only ever ends in one way most of the time 😆

2 hours ago, striker said:

If the players believe in NT then it's sensible stick with it in the short term . A new coach may cause more initial disruption in the short term which we can I'll afford at this time.

• Like 2

A lot of our dealings, although not all, if the Pickering rumour is correct, seem to be geared towards getting us through until the end of the season. That obviously narrows the field when it comes to signing players, and recruiting a manager. Ideally we will find a manager/coach who can successfully guide us to safety, and is also the right man to take us forward. Looking at some of the candidates, a few might be capable of that. Some might be slightly better equipped to fight off relegation, but you wouldn’t want them taking us forward. Others, you might entrust to build us into a decent footballing side, given time, but in the meantime, we would likely be relegated. If that happened, would their ability to build a really good footballing side, be negated by our relegation? Would they even want to manage a League One side? There are also candidates, who if the worse happened, and we were relegated, you would fancy to bring us back up. These are all the factors DC, and his advisors, will have to weigh up. Given that things would be clearer at the end of the season, there must be a strong temptation to give it to Thompson until the end of the season. He knows the players, and has shown he has been able to motivate them to achieve results, against the odds. However, it’s a big risk, and as others have pointed out, if things go wrong, does he have the experience to turn things around? 
One thing I would say, it’s a credit to our back room staff, that since the sacking of Pulis, they’ve done a great job of holding the fort, as they did when seeing us through pre season, when Bruce left us in the lurch. It’s clear we have some good people backstage.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, sage owl said:

Would giving the job to Thompson mean DC has accepted relegation ?.

or that no one in their right mind will

agree to come? I don’t think Thompson would be anywhere near first choice for Chansiri, I reckon a lot would have had to of rejected the job before Thompson does get it (I think he will get it). Chansiri said he has to get it right this time, I don’t think giving it to Thompson would be getting it right or what he meant when he said that. 

8 minutes ago, sage owl said:

Would giving the job to Thompson mean DC has accepted relegation ?.

So what you saying is  leaving NT in charge means we are getting relegated! Tbh the opposite could be true, nothing is guaranteed either way. If the players believe in their coach then leave it alone. New coach may get it sorted but takes time to build that trust and as I have said previously we don't have that luxury.

• Like 1