Next manager odds

3 minutes ago, sage owl said:

In that he would be appointing a manager with little or no relevant management experience merely because he’s cheap and in situ. He may be a brilliant coach and person I have to admit  I know next to nothing about him , it smacks of desperation and would be the biggest of gambles when staying in this division is so critical.

It might smack of desperation and it might be a gamble, also may be that we can't get anyone suitable to take the job.

That doesn't necessarily men that Chansiri is resigned to relegation though.

5 minutes ago, Devonstrix said:

Championship manager of the year at Sunderland when he took them up to the PL, which is something no manager has done at Hillsborough this century. Never been relegated either 🥴

Lump on!

Christ, talk about living in the past. That was 2007!!!

All this talk of betting odds, honestly they are a joke. 

I worked in the gaming industry and I had a friend who would see a manager lose his job. Back a semi realistic outsider at biggish odds and then start a rumour on Twitter and club sites (like this) that he was close to joining. The masses would "lump on" like sheep and he would lay it back on Betfair at tiny odds. Easiest ARB opportunity ever. 

I'm all for rumours but betting odds are about as reliable as a 40 year old Capri. 

Cook in!

Edited by Brad_owl

I read Keane’s book at Xmas. A few interesting things from it - spoke highly of Jordan Rhodes and shouldn’t have sold him when at Ipswich. 

But more linked with this topic is how he spoke a lot about having no interference from Chairman/board.

Said he loved it with Niall Quinn in charge of the consortium- NQ just left him to do his job. However as soon as Sunderland got a new chairman he said he knew it wasn’t going to work as he was interfering - he was gone soon after! 

I can’t see Keane working for DC in my opinion! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bubbleowl said:

He would also be given no leeway with a section of fans as he knows the squad, he leaves himself open to the allegation of being part of problem if we go on a winless run. Just like monk and pulis a few on hear will jump on him and will be waiting for him to fail so they can say "I told you so"

I'm also sceptical of players coming out in support of people as some could be saying things through self interest 

I don't disagree with a lot of that.

I was replying to a poster who said that if someone of Thompson's credentials was working at Derby, would we want him as manager here... I was pointing out that Thompson's greatest attribute is that he's already involved, so it was a daft question.

If it was up to me I'd be appointing a manager with experience of this league, but I'd also looked to have done it weeks ago... My feeling is Chansiri is going to choose either a foreign coach with no experience in The Championship, or let NT take control until the end of the season... If that is indeed the choice I think Thompson is actually far less of a gamble.

Pulis has been gone for nearly a month and wanted out long before. Add that to the fact we interviewed only weeks before as well and one thing it definitely can't be is knee jerk. Neil Thompson is not the right choice. Players are playing alright atm because Thompson isn't pulis, but we've massively flattered to deceive in last few wins. When a squad full of players unlikely to be kept after the summer start losing, I can't imagine the caretaker will be able to change much, and we'll end up with a Lee bullen crying for help press conference again and it'll be the 3rd time in one season we're interviewing managers.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, swfc1983 said:

Biggs hinting that it will be Thompson for the foreseeable. Would people be happy with that rather that than a knee jerk let’s just get anybody in for the sake of it?

personally I think it will be the wrong decision. One that will cost us our place in the league. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, oneeyedmilkman said:

Pulis has been gone for nearly a month and wanted out long before. Add that to the fact we interviewed only weeks before as well and one thing it definitely can't be is knee jerk. Neil Thompson is not the right choice. Players are playing alright atm because Thompson isn't pulis, but we've massively flattered to deceive in last few wins. When a squad full of players unlikely to be kept after the summer start losing, I can't imagine the caretaker will be able to change much, and we'll end up with a Lee bullen crying for help press conference again and it'll be the 3rd time in one season we're interviewing managers.

I bet I wanted Pulis out before he wanted to go.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

personally I think it will be the wrong decision. One that will cost us our place in the league. 

It would be a gamble on DC’s part but I think if this happens it backs up the theory he wants out and will look to sell up in the summer. Hope Thompson has enough to keep us up. Listening to player interviews they seem to respect him and while results are good all is rosey, question marks will come if/when the form dips.

• Like 1

Just now, swfc1983 said:

It would be a gamble on DC’s part but I think if this happens it backs up the theory he wants out and will look to sell up in the summer. Hope Thompson has enough to keep us up. Listening to player interviews they seem to respect him and while results are good all is rosey, question marks will come if/when the form dips.

that’s the worry for me, when things go wrong and the players start to down tools will he have the knowledge and qualities to get them back on side and motivated. I worry he won’t.