So what was it last night then?

3 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

might have to give attacking when we are losing a go for it to have any impact though

Untill we get some pace up front we're not going to be able to do that...Rhodes is a perfect example of why you can't knock balls in behind defenders to turn defences. Without that you can't have a go attacking teams on the break.

8 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

Basically, it's no surprise we are where we are with how the club has been run. 

It's up to each new unfortunate manager that comes in to try and not ruin there reputation. 

These managers aren't coming in blind folded. I'd hardly call them unfortunate, they fail and get removed with a pay off and move on to the next one. 

They should do their homework properly and not take it if they don't feel they are capable. 

Just now, daveyboy66 said:

Untill we get some pace up front we're not going to be able to do that...Rhodes is a perfect example of why you can't knock balls in behind defenders to turn defences. Without that you can't have a go attacking teams on the break.

You can try something different when 2-0 down at half-time instead of just swapping a holding midfielder for a holding midfielder.

Pulis claims his first choice players are knackered, yet continues to flog them in the second half of a game he seemingly has no major intent of turning around. So they will still be knackered come Saturday. 

4 hours ago, FreshOwl said:

A lack of effort or fatigue? Because something clearly wasn’t right 

3 hours ago, S36 OWL said:

Simply put, we are just crap. 

It's easy to write us off as 'just crap' but if you compare the performance against Norwich to last night's it was if we fielded two different teams.

Against Norwich we battled, competed, went forward with pace and were unlucky not to get something out of the game. Last night, we didn't look interested from the very start. I hope last night was down to fatigue and not because the players have given up. Sure other teams have played the same amount of football but we have had to play almost 2 full matches with 10 men.

Playing the way we do, conceding so much possession to the opposition is also going to take its toll, constantly having to chase and shut down.

Will see what happens on Saturday, at this point I'm really not sure if I can be bothered to log on to watch but will probably have calmed down by the weekend. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, northeastowl said:

I agree. I didn’t mention Monk? 

What I’m saying is you can understand the players attitude when they’re not allowed to express themselves. 

Monk had to go, was clueless with this group of players, what I don’t understand is why Pulis? What’s the actual plan? 

People are saying we just need to get to the transfer window and we can bring the players in to save us. Then what in the summer,

we stay up? We go down? What’s the plan then? Pulis is a manger who defends, is the plan just to do that for the foreseeable. 

I completely see the logic behind the Pulis appointment. Never been relegated in his long career in management. Renowned for getting teams organised and hard to beat. His win ratio at this level surpassed any other potential candidates.

On paper it’s the right appointment. Not going to plan though so far. 

36 minutes ago, daveyboy66 said:

So we have to have a different approach and try and be more on the front foot generally. Or do we just try and draw games 0-0 with the hope that a set piece or an inspired piece of play will nick something more? 

12 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

I completely see the logic behind the Pulis appointment. Never been relegated in his long career in management. Renowned for getting teams organised and hard to beat. His win ratio at this level surpassed any other potential candidates.

If anyone can change a stat like that, Wednesday can! 😂

4 hours ago, FreshOwl said:

A lack of effort or fatigue? Because something clearly wasn’t right 

We are all hurting and I'm as upset as anyone but realistically I think it's fatigue. They put a lot into the previous game and just couldn't perform last night.

I know other teams have the same schedule that we have but we don't seem to be resting players like some teams can. Is that the managers fault.......possibly but the backups are so poor he's not got many options.

1 hour ago, jp1981 said:

We don't have the players to play any different. If we have an attack (yep wishful thinking I know) then for some reason the other 8 or 9 players seem to get caught out when the Opposition counter attack. 

We haven't replaced Fletcher and need upgrades on a number of players.

We need some hard Barstewards (preferably taller than Bannan and Joey) for the spine of the team who can tackle and stop the opposition and can lead the team. We must be the quietest team in the league. We need leaders on the pitch. Then we can look to address the non existent attack and creativity.

I would love us to be able to replace most of the first 11 with players that are used to actually winning games.

We could at least play 2 up front, no way is Windass good enough for a loan striker. At halftime we bring on Joey P, when we are already 2 down , for me that was the time to bring Brown on and maybe Kunchunga up top . Granted we have limited options but we had absolutely zero attacking intent form Pulis, until the last 15 minutes. 

From what I saw last night, I would put it down to a culmination of fixture pile up in a shorter time frame, injuries, suspensions, the work rate we have seen in the 5 games prior that ultimately saw us look tired, lethargic and fatigued.  

I don't buy into this fatigue argument. It's the same for all teams and I'd love to see the total miles covered stats for us as a team compared to others. We shadow and sit back and play the vast majority of games in a single half of the pitch. 

We don't work hard enough to close down the opposition and force them into mistakes and we don't support the man with the ball - I wish I had a pound for everytime the commentators complained there weren't enough men in the box when we attack.

It's all down to attitude and it saddens me to say we just don't have any. We go through the motions, manager after manager and it's now become the norm. Also, you don't score while camped in your own half and if you don't score you don't win games - so that's another equally important reason why we are garbage.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SallyCinnamon said:

You say Pulis hasn’t been relegated in his career but he has really.

He may not have been manager when the relegation was confirmed but it was his West Brom team that finished bottom of the premier league in 2017/18.

When they sacked him in November of that season they’d gone 10 games without a win so he was taking them down.

It’s like saying Danny Wilson was never relegated as Sheffield Wednesday manager

the most worrying thing is that was our 1st choice team last night. flint maybe would play if fit but he hardly has been fitfor 12months . marriot was as bad as anything on the pitch last night so he wouldnt have played if fit. norwich had 11 out and no bench , hudds had 6-7 out inc nearly all there defence . the last 4 managers inc carlos monk and pulis have committed a football crime so have the recruitment team . we are so bad im resigned to our club going to the wall ,this has been coming for ages but its the turning it around part what i just cant see , going down is armageddon for this club , 10 million less in finance , nearly all players out contract( yes thats good but we cant recruit anyone on £2500 per week or more exactly who are we going to get on those wages? the club wont see  championship level again or not for many years . doom and gloom but tell me im wrong and tell me why?

2 hours ago, LondonOwl313 said:

To be fair, even as someone who works out at an amateur level, if I push myself with my training I’m still aching days later.. can take around 4-5 days to recover properly.

Yeah these guys are supposedly elite athletes but I can’t see why recovery would be any different tbh. Your body reacts differently to a workout at 100% effort than it does to one at 70% effort. 

We expect them to be at 100% effort every game because that’s what it takes, but when they’re playing Saturday Tuesday Saturday every week they won’t be fully recovered between games. All of the top managers are complaining about it so there must be a point to it.

I know 30 years ago we’d just expect them to get on with it but the pace of the game was different, it was way less athletic. More sprints and stuff now.

P.S. not making excuses as last night was garbage.

Give these players one shift in the hospitals on a Co-Vid ward - most of those shift are 15-20 hours.

Then see if they see kicking a bag of wind around for 3 hours a week, on 10 grand a week as being hard done to.

If anything this year has shown us that footballer are an after thought. When the crisis was on there were no where to be seen. They wanted football back now they are whinge they have to play 3 times in 7 days. Sheffield Wednesday have a first team squad of 34 players included the youngster that have been moved into the first team squad there are 4 keepers and 5 injured players if players can not play 3 games a week drop them for players that will because I am sure if you said to Penney, Waldock, Shaw or Hunt you have to play Sat-Tues- Sat for you boyhood team he would snap your hands off for the chance.

But instead we play the same under performing players every week and use fatigue as an excuse for the simple fact they cannot be ar5ed thats not fatigue.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Ronio said:

From what I saw last night, I would put it down to a culmination of fixture pile up in a shorter time frame, injuries, suspensions, the work rate we have seen in the 5 games prior that ultimately saw us look tired, lethargic and fatigued.  

hudds have a team of athletes who move the ball quickly get players forward and have a decent manager . we have a dinosaur that type of football wins nothing we are setting up this way partly to cover for bannan who shouldnt be anywhere near the starting line up what the hell does he do?