So what was it last night then?

I’m not talking about fatigue or anything fitness related 

I’m talking about lack of effort full stop. 

They’re not too tired to take a quick goal kick, take a corner etc 

Late in the game I can understand fatigue, but this was evident from the first minute 

Youre not too tired to do all those things from the first minute 

Edited by FreshOwl
  • Like 4

Guest LondonOwl313
1 hour ago, Daz said:

I don't buy into this fatigue argument. It's the same for all teams and I'd love to see the total miles covered stats for us as a team compared to others. We shadow and sit back and play the vast majority of games in a single half of the pitch. 

We don't work hard enough to close down the opposition and force them into mistakes and we don't support the man with the ball - I wish I had a pound for everytime the commentators complained there weren't enough men in the box when we attack.

It's all down to attitude and it saddens me to say we just don't have any. We go through the motions, manager after manager and it's now become the norm. Also, you don't score while camped in your own half and if you don't score you don't win games - so that's another equally important reason why we are garbage.

Yeah it is the same for all the teams, but it’s worse if your style of play is dependent on defending most of the time and working hard off the ball because you don’t do much when you actually have the ball.

The first 5 games under Pulis they’ve worked their arses off to be competitive and have made it quite difficult for some of the best teams in the league to play against us. If we actually attacked more it would take some of the pressure off us to be grafting off the ball, and that would save legs.

But play that way Saturday Tuesday Saturday every week and it’s bound to catch up on us. Last night looked like that was the case 

1 hour ago, pat blondeau said:

You say Pulis hasn’t been relegated in his career but he has really.

He may not have been manager when the relegation was confirmed but it was his West Brom team that finished bottom of the premier league in 2017/18.

When they sacked him in November of that season they’d gone 10 games without a win so he was taking them down.

It’s like saying Danny Wilson was never relegated as Sheffield Wednesday manager

But he didn’t take them down? 

What a load of pathetic excuses. If players are tired then why did they start the first 30 minutes in a coma and get better. Surely they ought to start with energy and maybe fade in the last ten minutes. It's not like our schedule is any more hectic than the rest of the Championship over time.

It best be noted that we have 24 hours more rest than Barnsley for the next fixture, so fully expect a win.

• Thanks 1

Just now, SallyCinnamon said:

Wilson was sacked in March. Pulis left WBA in November. 

Wilson still didn’t take us down using your logic.

When Tony Pulis left West Brom on 20 November 2017 they were 10 games without a win, a run that stretched back to 19 August 2017.

And the team that he had assembled and managed for the first 12 games of the season finished bottom of the league.

2 hours ago, Asio otus said:

We could at least play 2 up front, no way is Windass good enough for a loan striker. At halftime we bring on Joey P, when we are already 2 down , for me that was the time to bring Brown on and maybe Kunchunga up top . Granted we have limited options but we had absolutely zero attacking intent form Pulis, until the last 15 minutes. 

Seems like Pulis doesn't trust the midfielders if an extra man is up front. 

16 minutes ago, Beauchief Owl said:

What a load of pathetic excuses. If players are tired then why did they start the first 30 minutes in a coma and get better. Surely they ought to start with energy and maybe fade in the last ten minutes. It's not like our schedule is any more hectic than the rest of the Championship over time.

It best be noted that we have 24 hours more rest than Barnsley for the next fixture, so fully expect a win.

Its a load of cobblers 

Pulis has to say something like that though, what he really wants to say is that the groups fuckingshit 

13 minutes ago, pat blondeau said:

When Tony Pulis left West Brom on 20 November 2017 they were 10 games without a win, a run that stretched back to 19 August 2017.

And the team that he had assembled and managed for the first 12 games of the season finished bottom of the league.

Pulis did not take them down. 

Wilson had the majority of the season at the club, Pulis had time to turn it round before he was sacked.

Key difference. 

Guest LondonOwl313
15 minutes ago, pat blondeau said:

This is the league table at the point at which he left. They were outside the relegation zone with 26 games left to play. Can’t pin their relegation on him

If we go down this season I wouldn’t pin it on Monk because Chansiri made the change early enough. Pulis will have had enough time to get us out of this 

The comparison with Wilson in 2000 is wrong because by the time he left we had no chance of stopping up. We actually got ok results for the last half a dozen games but it was too late. So that was Wilson’s fault

56B103BD-C4B4-4C8C-B245-E4F9DB96D116.png

We're where we are because we're a poor side, made worse by a six-point deduction.

What quality we had has left, because Chansiri gambled on going up when Coco was here.

You can't sustain a squad like that indefinitely, and if you stay down you're in trouble.

This was always going to happen, irrespective of who the manager is.

Pulis was brought in because of his experience and ability to get better results than you would expect with the players at his disposal.

Things won't get better until new recruits come in.

7 hours ago, striker said:

At the end of the day, players want to play football. I'm sure they don't enjoy defending for most of the game in their own half without the ball. 

For most players I’d agree with you striker but as an ex central defender I loved games when we were under the cosh, our problems also include defenders who don’t like or know how to defend

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

You can try something different when 2-0 down at half-time instead of just swapping a holding midfielder for a holding midfielder.

Pulis claims his first choice players are knackered, yet continues to flog them in the second half of a game he seemingly has no major intent of turning around. So they will still be knackered come Saturday. 

How do you become knackered standing still on the half way line?

22 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

This is the league table at the point at which he left. They were outside the relegation zone with 26 games left to play. Can’t pin their relegation on him

If we go down this season I wouldn’t pin it on Monk because Chansiri made the change early enough. Pulis will have had enough time to get us out of this 

The comparison with Wilson in 2000 is wrong because by the time he left we had no chance of stopping up. We actually got ok results for the last half a dozen games but it was too late. So that was Wilson’s fault

56B103BD-C4B4-4C8C-B245-E4F9DB96D116.png

They’d taken 10 points from 12 games when he was sacked (on target for 31 points which is what they finished with).

Clearly the West Brom board thought he was taking them down or they wouldn’t have sacked him. How many teams go 10 games without a win from August to November and stay up?

Edited by pat blondeau

6 minutes ago, Five Archers said:

How do you become knackered standing still on the half way line?

I suppose it can be mentally draining thinking you are a footballer but being trained to do your job to the best of your ability without having much of a touch of a football while trying to occupy space in your own half, watching the opposition play with the ball! 

Guest LondonOwl313
4 minutes ago, pat blondeau said:

They’d taken 10 points from 12 games when he was sacked (on target for 31 points which is what they finished with).

Clearly the West Brom board thought he was taking them down or they wouldn’t have sacked him. How many teams go 10 games without a win from August to November and stay up?

You can’t extrapolate out the league table.. using that logic then there were still 3 worse teams on track for less than 31 points so they’d have stayed up anyway.

Yeah they took the decision to twist rather than stick and it didn’t work. Still doesn’t mean Pulis took them down. Kind of like with Monk here the signs were there we might drop on the basis of form across 35 games, not 10. So we twisted early and we’re yet to see if it’s going to work. If it doesn’t we can’t blame him for results over the 35 games after he left 

1 minute ago, hirstyboywonder said:

I suppose it can be mentally draining thinking you are a footballer but being trained to do your job to the best of your ability without having much of a touch of a football while trying to occupy space in your own half, watching the opposition play with the ball! 

Fair point and would except that after 60 minutes of not having the ball, my point is this was happening from the first minute and half of our lot don’t seem to even want the ball