So what was it last night then?

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

I'm happy to settle for hearing you tell me ONE improvement that Pulis has made since arriving then.

I thought up until last nights game we looked well organised as a team. I could see what he was trying to do in terms of style of play and formation (something I’d not been able to identify under Monk). He has finally put Adam Reach left midfield and we’ve seen what he’s capable of with the two assists produced. 

Again it’s 6 games and 4 weeks. Given our squad and our situation - it’s a really tough gig. Clear deficiencies run throughout the squad and they are so glaring I think any manager would struggle. 

Monk had over a year, had two transfer windows, had his own backroom staff and still couldn’t get us firing. He did not deserve to carry on managing this football club. His record was absolutely abysmal and at any other sane football club he would have been sent his marching orders at the end of last season or in March pre Covid if we were really well run.

He had to be replaced. What other options could we have gone for? Nobody on here wanted Paul Cook, he was my first bet. He wasn’t good enough. So who next? Pulis’ CV made his the most suitable candidate for the job. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I'm happy to settle for hearing you tell me ONE improvement that Pulis has made since arriving then.

We have scored more goals per minutes played from open play.  Which is startling considering how much of the ball we haven't had. 

Edited by Guest

Just now, SallyCinnamon said:

I thought up until last nights game we looked well organised as a team. I could see what he was trying to do in terms of style of play and formation (something I’d not been able to identify under Monk). He has finally put Adam Reach left midfield and we’ve seen what he’s capable of with the two assists produced. 

Again it’s 6 games and 4 weeks. Given our squad and our situation - it’s a really tough gig. Clear deficiencies run throughout the squad and they are so glaring I think any manager would struggle. 

Monk had over a year, had two transfer windows, had his own backroom staff and still couldn’t get us firing. He did not deserve to carry on managing this football club. His record was absolutely abysmal and at any other sane football club he would have been sent his marching orders at the end of last season or in March pre Covid if we were really well run.

He had to be replaced. What other options could we have gone for? Nobody on here wanted Paul Cook, he was my first bet. He wasn’t good enough. So who next? Pulis’ CV made his the most suitable candidate for the job. 

I'm not talking or even thinking about Garry Monk here

I"m just asking what Tony Pulis has improved at our club since he's arrived

That's all

Owlstalk Shop

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I'm not talking or even thinking about Garry Monk here

I"m just asking what Tony Pulis has improved at our club since he's arrived

That's all

I’ve listed the positive changes at the top of my post. Last night worries me significantly though. It was a typical Monk performance which again confirms the widely held belief that there is something seriously wrong with this group of players. 

• Like 3

Just now, SallyCinnamon said:

I’ve listed the positive changes at the top of my post. Last night worries me significantly though. It was a typical Monk performance which again confirms the widely held belief that there is something seriously wrong with this group of players. 

What could that be that affects an entire squad though?

The pay situation?

Owlstalk Shop

23 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Happen more regularly is wildly inaccurate. It’s not happening more regularly.

Games lost under Monk after going 1-0 down - Luton, Wycombe, Rotherham, Bristol City, Middlesbro, Fulham, Swansea, West Brom, Brentford, Derby, Reading, Luton, Blackburn, Hull. That’s all the games we’ve lost after going 1-0 down under Monk in 2020 (not including 2019). We’ve turned it round once against Bristol City after the restart from Covid. That is the only time we’ve bounced back from going a goal down in his entire tenure. 

It has happened twice under Pulis - Preston and Huddersfield. He has been in charge 6 games.

Saying it has started to happen more regularly is wildly inaccurate. 

We were 2-0 up against Bristol City in the game we won after lock down so he didn't help turn that result around.

The only time we won a game under Monk after falling behind was Brentford at home on December 7th last year - which was also the last time we scored more than 1 in a home game. 

8 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

I thought we were under serious financial constraints and even an embargo during at least one window that Jos was here for, recruitment cant really be blamed on him.  

He managed to get Pelupessy on board. He must be playing for free, perhaps? WTF:

Just now, @owlstalk said:

What could that be that affects an entire squad though?

The pay situation?

Honestly mate I’m starting to believe it could be something like that. I just don’t understand how we go from a good performance against top of the league to an absolute can’t be arsed stroll around the pitch performance against an average Huddersfield side. 

We’ve seen that Jekyll and Hyde type performance far too many times these past few years. Under Carlos, Jos, Monk, now Pulis whoever it may be. It just makes me think something goes on behind the scenes. 

Perhaps reading too much into things and they’re just crap but it’s so weird.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Honestly mate I’m starting to believe it could be something like that. I just don’t understand how we go from a good performance against top of the league to an absolute can’t be arsed stroll around the pitch performance against an average Huddersfield side. 

We’ve seen that Jekyll and Hyde type performance far too many times these past few years. Under Carlos, Jos, Monk, now Pulis whoever it may be. It just makes me think something goes on behind the scenes.  

Be careful

If you point out truths like that you'll be attacked to death 

I know this from personal experience after what happened last Christmas

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

9 minutes ago, Musn't Grumble said:

He managed to get Pelupessy on board. He must be playing for free, perhaps? WTF:

Pelupessy was his first signing, shortly after he had taken the job, I would have thought he would have imagined he would be able to make a few more.......

They are basically not very good. It is a bit like horse racing. The better class the horse, say Group 1,

the more often it will produce the expected level of form. The worse the horse Class 5, the more

inconsistent it is.

Our players are mostly lower Championship level players at best and will never play at a higher level.

I think in Luongo, Iorfa, Borner, Reach and Bannan we have upper/mid table level players, the rest

are lower or league 1 standard. We will not stay up unless there is a serous improvement in the squad

in January or the likes of Shaw, Hunt, Dlli Bashiru and Urgohide come on in leaps and bounds.

We are a poor side with a lot of poor players.

We haven't become crap overnight, we've worked at it. You can't blame Pulis for this.

If we had the remaining 6 points that were deducted given back, we would still be 20th in the league.

I fear the worse unless we strengthen in the next transfer window (by whatever means)

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Musn't Grumble said:

Jos was Wednesday manager for 2 transfer windows. He became our manager on 5th January 2018 so he had little time to assess and bring anyone in that month so turned to a player he knew of in Holland. 

By April that year we were under an embargo - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46898130  -the club will have been aware of the financial problems during January so probably didn't give him much of a budget in his first window anyway.

We only came out of that embargo in August so in his second and last transfer window Jos had a couple of weeks to work with and the threat of another embargo was looming anyway so again the budget would have been next to nothing.

Jos can be criticised for many things but not the transfers, or lack of them during his time. 

5 minutes ago, bdmfournil said:

They are basically not very good. It is a bit like horse racing. The better class the horse, say Group 1,

the more often it will produce the expected level of form. The worse the horse Class 5, the more

inconsistent it is.

Our players are mostly lower Championship level players at best and will never play at a higher level.

I think in Luongo, Iorfa, Borner, Reach and Bannan we have upper/mid table level players, the rest

are lower or league 1 standard. We will not stay up unless there is a serous improvement in the squad

in January or the likes of Shaw, Hunt, Dlli Bashiru and Urgohide come on in leaps and bounds.

Even five top half championship players, coupled with a squad of players who have been at this level for most of their careers, should be enough to have us clear of the relegation zone

1 hour ago, Johnny Concrete said:

To be fair you only have to look at when Warnock was at Cardiff, that season they got promoted, most games they averaged around 30-40% possession but they were effective when on the ball. His tactics/style of play was spot on.

And like all Warnock's teams they immediately came back down. Bar QPR who sacked him and lasted an extra season. 

2 hours ago, Asio otus said:

Sadly not any different to what we have been witnessing for sometime.

Poor players =poor performances. 

Does not excuse the dire negative tactics though.

We don't have the players to play any different. If we have an attack (yep wishful thinking I know) then for some reason the other 8 or 9 players seem to get caught out when the Opposition counter attack. 

We haven't replaced Fletcher and need upgrades on a number of players.

We need some hard Barstewards (preferably taller than Bannan and Joey) for the spine of the team who can tackle and stop the opposition and can lead the team. We must be the quietest team in the league. We need leaders on the pitch. Then we can look to address the non existent attack and creativity.

I would love us to be able to replace most of the first 11 with players that are used to actually winning games.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dronfield Blue said:

We are a poor side with a lot of poor players.

We haven't become crap overnight, we've worked at it. You can't blame Pulis for this.

If we had the remaining 6 points that were deducted given back, we would still be 20th in the league.

I fear the worse unless we strengthen in the next transfer window (by whatever means)

But we changed managers in order to exact an upturn in results. How long should it take to see an upturn? If a new manager can't have a positive impact then you have to query the appointment. We have brought Pulis in to have an impact now as a priority, not specifically as a long-term appointment with a view to the future.

32 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

image.thumb.png.3500799a35abed530aa16cbd8172e92b.png