So what was it last night then?

32 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

I thought up until last nights game we looked well organised as a team. I could see what he was trying to do in terms of style of play and formation (something I’d not been able to identify under Monk). He has finally put Adam Reach left midfield and we’ve seen what he’s capable of with the two assists produced. 

Again it’s 6 games and 4 weeks. Given our squad and our situation - it’s a really tough gig. Clear deficiencies run throughout the squad and they are so glaring I think any manager would struggle. 

Monk had over a year, had two transfer windows, had his own backroom staff and still couldn’t get us firing. He did not deserve to carry on managing this football club. His record was absolutely abysmal and at any other sane football club he would have been sent his marching orders at the end of last season or in March pre Covid if we were really well run.

He had to be replaced. What other options could we have gone for? Nobody on here wanted Paul Cook, he was my first bet. He wasn’t good enough. So who next? Pulis’ CV made his the most suitable candidate for the job. 

I did, a fair few others did too. 

Didn't watch the game as I didn't get back until it started.

Can't comment on specifics, but taking a broad brush approach, I'd suggest it is down to having a poor group of players, who have a poor attitude and are mentally weak as pi55.

Them turning out diabolical performances is not a new thing. They've been doing it since Xmas last year. After the Derby game at home last season, I recall commenting to people how some of the stuff I was seeing was so embarrassing that you'd be ashamed if you were playing for your local 5 aside team.

As for Pulis, well, so far, he's picked up the turd passed onto him by Monk and seemingly added some extra. Bar a little bit more organisation, we are still way too defensive and yet, conversely, prone to making stupid mistakes.

One of Chansiri's biggest mistakes (some list) was to allow a failing manager to shape the squad in the summer. I want to see a helluva a lot more from Baseball cap McGhee before he's entrusted to splash what cash is available.

31 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

I don't think it is that common for teams leading 1-0 to concede 2 goals in the last 10 minutes. It certainly seems more common in terms of happening to us than to us and definitely in relation to us doing it to other teams. 

You've misunderstood; I'm saying once a team has conceded it's not so uncommon that they concede another. The question was about whether I thought it more likely we'd concede another at that point or instead go down the other end and score ourselves.

Just now, rickygoo said:

Pulis only became Lord God Almighty when he was on the verge of being appointed.  Before that support for him was lukewarm. 

I don't think he has ever been that to be fair!

I backed him once he was appointed on the basis of his record and no reason not to give him a chance on being an improvement on where we are at, he was far from my first choice though. 

2 minutes ago, cowl said:

You've misunderstood; I'm saying once a team has conceded it's not so uncommon that they concede another. The question was about whether I thought it more likely we'd concede another at that point or instead go down the other end and score ourselves.

Fair enough but in broader terms I still feel we are more likely to concede a second once we have conceded an equalizer than the average for these kind of stats. 

3 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

I don't think he has ever been that to be fair!

I backed him once he was appointed on the basis of his record and no reason not to give him a chance on being an improvement on where we are at, he was far from my first choice though. 

I've always tried to be open minded with any new manager.

Sometimes it works, more often than not it doesn't.

Personally, I want to see it on the pitch before casting aspersions, but each to their own.

Sadly, I'm far from impressed with what I've seen so far. It's more of the same and that wasn't good enough under Monk, both from a points perspective and an entertainment one.

Edited by SiJ

Guest LondonOwl313
3 hours ago, room0035 said:

We have too many players consistently under performing and being allowed to do it.

Soft goals conceded, no attacking threat, a midfield unable to produce chances or do basic defending.

These players are not playing 7 games a week in a busy week they are being asked to play at most 300 minutes of football. if they players do not have the fitness levels to play 5 hours of football a week, then they need to find themselves a new job. 

Lees, Bannan, Harris, Palmer, Odabajo, JVA, Pelupessy not one has given us a 90 minutes performance this season. of late Wildsmith has been letting in some very soft goals too.

To be fair, even as someone who works out at an amateur level, if I push myself with my training I’m still aching days later.. can take around 4-5 days to recover properly.

Yeah these guys are supposedly elite athletes but I can’t see why recovery would be any different tbh. Your body reacts differently to a workout at 100% effort than it does to one at 70% effort. 

We expect them to be at 100% effort every game because that’s what it takes, but when they’re playing Saturday Tuesday Saturday every week they won’t be fully recovered between games. All of the top managers are complaining about it so there must be a point to it.

I know 30 years ago we’d just expect them to get on with it but the pace of the game was different, it was way less athletic. More sprints and stuff now.

P.S. not making excuses as last night was garbage.

7 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

But we changed managers in order to exact an upturn in results. How long should it take to see an upturn? If a new manager can't have a positive impact then you have to query the appointment. We have brought Pulis in to have an impact now as a priority, not specifically as a long-term appointment with a view to the future.

Fair point, but there were green shoots against Swansea. Unfortunately, they didn't survive.

We have got to plough on with Pulis for now, changes in the squad are a must though.

1 hour ago, SallyCinnamon said:

As soon as we go 1-0 down we’ve lost for the past two seasons. It’s not just under Pulis. We lose that game under Monk too. 

I agree. I didn’t mention Monk? 

What I’m saying is you can understand the players attitude when they’re not allowed to express themselves. 

Monk had to go, was clueless with this group of players, what I don’t understand is why Pulis? What’s the actual plan? 

People are saying we just need to get to the transfer window and we can bring the players in to save us. Then what in the summer,

we stay up? We go down? What’s the plan then? Pulis is a manger who defends, is the plan just to do that for the foreseeable. 

3 hours ago, Captain Scarlett said:

Players all thinking what they were going to spend their Christmas box on.

NONE of them are true professional footballers in my opinion. Just money grabbing journey men out to fleece the club and supporters.

They just couldn't care less.

100% correct 

Money ggrabbers but then aren't all footballers, they take the money while it's there but don't expect loyalty or effort

3 hours ago, A12owl said:

My thoughts exactly. 

Bannan took an age to get to take a corner. On one occasion he got there then swapped with Harris? Then took a short one to Bannan. Wildsmith showed no urgency taking goal kicks. It's a wonder some didn't get booked for time wasting. 

The worst example of wildsmith taking ages was when their grandad in midfield was down injured then went off. Despite this taking 2 minutes at least, wildsmith stood with the ball in his hands watching proceedings, and only once the substitution had been done did he then take 10 seconds to line the ball up for our free kick! This stuff gets me so angry mad, it is pure schoolboy errors and shows that either they are clueless or don’t care.

Grrrrrrrrrr......🤬

Edited by GLOwl
Update

5 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Fair enough but in broader terms I still feel we are more likely to concede a second once we have conceded an equalizer than the average for these kind of stats. 

Aye, that may well be true, having taken dropping back to the level of art we have...

Although since we've scored so few this season you won't be surprised to learn it's the first time it's happened this season.

Is that progress? lol

7 minutes ago, Dronfield Blue said:

Fair point, but there were green shoots against Swansea. Unfortunately, they didn't survive.

We have got to plough on with Pulis for now, changes in the squad are a must though.

Completely agree the squad is not good enough to get consistent positive results and the complete lack of an attacking focal point makes winning games difficult.

The new manager should still be able to get more out of the current squad than the old manager, that was the whole point of making the change when we did. 

We've played 6 games in three weeks with a squad that hasn't had a proper pre-season so the fitness levels are below what they should be. Add to that our injury situation means that we are bringing players back before they are fully fit, Luongo and Iorfa are clear examples of that. TP has to use the youngsters in the squad until we can get reinforcements in the next window otherwise we are going to have players absent long term 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cowl said:

Aye, that may well be true, having taken dropping back to the level of art we have...

Although since we've scored so few this season you won't be surprised to learn it's the first time it's happened this season.

Is that progresslol

Looking for any positives you might be tempted to say yes! You can't lose many games from a winning position if you don't get into a winning position very often!

Conversely, we only managed to win from a losing position once under Monk and he gave himself many opportunities to improve that stat! The way things are going we will continue to get into the position to change that.........might have to give attacking when we are losing a go for it to have any impact though. 

3 minutes ago, daveyboy66 said:

We've played 6 games in three weeks with a squad that hasn't had a proper pre-season so the fitness levels are below what they should be. Add to that our injury situation means that we are bringing players back before they are fully fit, Luongo and Iorfa are clear examples of that. TP has to use the youngsters in the squad until we can get reinforcements in the next window otherwise we are going to have players absent long term 

Did we have a shorter pre-season than everyone else in this division & are we playing more games than everyone else?

As someone flagged up recently, our injury situation is average for the division, plenty of teams have more injuries than us this season.