PRESTON vs SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY - Post Match Reaction

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

It's the worst Championship squad we have ever assembled in our entire history

I'm being deadly serious too

The defence and Bannan, Brown and Loungo are fine. Further up we have a real lack of quality 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Blatter said:

I wouldn’t mind the red cards if we were piling into every challenge  in an effort to take the games to the opponents. But we’re not doing that. We’re getting players sent off for stupid naive challenges. Today was another example to add to those of Harris Lees and Van Aken in recent weeks. Windass taking down a bouncing ball  with a boot at chest height with clear sight of the of the rushing player and right in front of the ref defies logic.

This reckless behaviour cost us a game that was there for the taking against yet another very ordinary team today.

How we can part with a player like Hutchinson and still be top of the red card listings defies understanding.

Something else on very long  Pulis to do listi

Sorry double post. Remove if poss.

Against a team that has lost its last 5 home games, why 4-5-1? Their confidence can't have been uber high, and, like the Wycombe game, you'd think we would be ultra positive. Against the top team, fair enough, but against these two? What do I know, I only see what I see. Please someone explain (politely)...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ashley8 said:

Be interesting to see now if the way we played before Windass got sent off. Basically all behind the ball like we were playing Man City. Will need to stop doing that at least some of the time or we will never score and win games. I'm worried not how many we will lose now but how many draws. The loses my get less but the draws would send us down. With this squad we need loads of shots to score a goal. Can't do that hiding in our own half.

That's what puzzles me, how we sit back whoever we're playing.

When at home we should be all out attack from the start, it's just crazy.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, davetherivelinowl said:

But Brown was as rubbish as the rest. Just ran into players. No end product.

He was crap 

No agility, fumbled on ball and ran into players like you said 

Odubajo, Palmer, JVA, Pelupessy, Patterson, 

All try, but no substance - can’t carry half a team.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, hangonrose said:

Against a team that has lost its last 5 home games, why 4-5-1? Their confidence can't have been uber high, and, like the Wycombe game, you'd think we would be ultra positive. Against the top team, fair enough, but against these two? What do I know, I only see what I see. Please someone explain (politely)...

Er... our manager is Tony Pulis

The red card killed us off. For almost a year we have been unable to score with 11 players so why would anyone think it is an abject failure to be unable to score with 10. We had no shots on target but lack of shots has been an almost constant event for ages. Preston only had one shot on target with 75% possession. More often than not volleys from the edge of the area are blocked or go wide anyway so I still think 0-0 would have been a fair result under the circumstances.

The game has told us nothing we didn't know already about this side. There is nothing that can be used to predict future performances that has become evident since the last game.

• Like 2

With all data you have these days. Surely somebody keeps a success rate of Bannan’s set pieces? Totally negligent that he still takes corners.

Hopefully Pulis changes that soon.

I wouldn’t be too disappointed if he took the same attitude to Bannan as he did at Palace. For all his qualities at times, his short comings as a competitor in midfield make almost a luxury player that we really have no room for. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Everyone was judging Monk in these circumstances though?

Yes, I had some sympathy for him, unlike many. But he'd been 'unlucky' for almost a year so I fully understand the decision to sack him.

I still don't know how any manager can get a tune out of this bunch, given the lack of goals in the whole squad. Monk's solution seemed to be work hard, press high and get loads of crosses in. On first impressions it looks like Pulis's solution is to sit back, work hard and hope for a goal from a set-piece.

I'm not (yet) sure either can work but I might have had more pleasure watching Monk's side.

But it's still early days and, as I said, hard to judge when we only had 10 men.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, davetherivelinowl said:

Yes, I had some sympathy for him, unlike many. But he'd been 'unlucky' for almost a year so I fully understand the decision to sack him.

I still don't know how any manager can get a tune out of this bunch, given the lack of goals in the whole squad. Monk's solution seemed to be work hard, press high and get loads of crosses in. On first impressions it looks like Pulis's solution is to sit back, work hard and hope for a goal from a set-piece.

I'm not (yet) sure either can work but I might have had more pleasure watching Monk's side.

But it's still early days and, as I said, hard to judge when we only had 10 men.

Fair overview that mate

Owlstalk Shop