Jordan Rhodes

44 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Still don’t believe we’ve ever given Rhodes a fair run of games. 

People will jump on this, but he’s been in and out the side constantly, given 15 minutes here and there. Hopefully Pulis will put some faith in him. And if it doesn’t work? Have we really got a better alternative? 

If he does that and it doesnt work,we are risking a relegation....Q: even with our limited options is that a chance worth taking?...or would he be better utilising Windass?

Guest LondonOwl313

Just shows the kind of man manager Pulis is. He’s probably come in, sat down with Rhodes and put an arm around him, told him he wants him to be the main man and that he’s going to play.. now go and do the media interview.

Refreshing change and gives him as good a chance as he can have to turn things around. If it doesn’t work now then he’ll be dropped and it’s because he can’t do it rather than through ineffective management 

Guest LondonOwl313
3 minutes ago, agentwalker said:

Going to start calling Rhodes, Lazarus because this guy keeps getting picked, written off. new managed comes in, gets picked then written off . rinse and repeat.

He's a shadow of what he used to be. Best to move on..

Tbf he was always going to struggle under Jos and Monk because they’re bad managers. Never got to work with Bruce as he was on loan at Norwich. When Carlos was here he was one of 7 strikers with Fletcher and Hooper preferred plus we didn’t play with wingers

Just now, LondonOwl313 said:

Tbf he was always going to struggle under Jos and Monk because they’re bad managers. Never got to work with Bruce as he was on loan at Norwich. When Carlos was here he was one of 7 strikers with Fletcher and Hooper preferred plus we didn’t play with wingers

Might be right, will have to see. If Pulis can get anything out of him then hats off to him but can see him getting a run of 2-3 games produce nothing then dropped for Patterson.

Guest LondonOwl313
2 minutes ago, agentwalker said:

Might be right, will have to see. If Pulis can get anything out of him then hats off to him but can see him getting a run of 2-3 games produce nothing then dropped for Patterson.

I just think the options we have are Windass who’s looked decent but he’s more of an attacking midfielder type who will contribute some goals. Paterson who’s a utility player.. Kachunga who’s really a winger/wide midfielder. And Marriott who’s looked way off the pace. The first three of those are 1 in 5 type players, Marriotts had a few spells of being more prolific but never at this level before.

Its obvious Rhodes has the best pedigree out of them all even though he’s not done it for about 4 years. He’s 30 so not too old, was never blessed with pace before either. So I can’t see any physiological reason for him going from 25 goals a season to what he’s done recently. It has to be a confidence and/or team style of play issue. Pulis will address the first bit by putting faith in him and we’ll probably get the ball forward and in the box much more quickly than we have. Let’s hope it works

58 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

Best of luck to Jordan. He’s an absolute gent, and someone the fans will on to do well. We’ve never been able to give him the service he needs to thrive, and the lack thereof exposes his limitations as a player.

I love comments like this..how have we come to this conclusion? 😄

He's had the service, but for whatever reasons he's not been the player he once was.

It can't hurt to stick him in the team now until the end of the season,  I think we have shown Kachunga, Windass, Marriott and Patterson are not going to do the business for us so it wouldn't be like he's keeping anyone better out.

Yeah, stick him up front with Patterson, long balls/thrown ins to a big man, Rhodes might nick a few from that scenario. 

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, parajack said:

If he does that and it doesnt work,we are risking a relegation....Q: even with our limited options is that a chance worth taking?...or would he be better utilising Windass?

I’d have Windass and Rhodes upfront. The strike partnership that looked the business against Cardiff in one of Monk’s only wins this season. The same partnership that we haven’t seen since. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Just shows the kind of man manager Pulis is. He’s probably come in, sat down with Rhodes and put an arm around him, told him he wants him to be the main man and that he’s going to play.. now go and do the media interview.

Refreshing change and gives him as good a chance as he can have to turn things around. If it doesn’t work now then he’ll be dropped and it’s because he can’t do it rather than through ineffective management 

Isn't that what every manager has done with him to start with though. Then after 3 or 4 games they realise he ain't up to it.

• Haha 1

Guest wilyfox
8 minutes ago, Bannofan said:

I love comments like this..how have we come to this conclusion? 😄

He's had the service, but for whatever reasons he's not been the player he once was.

It can't hurt to stick him in the team now until the end of the season,  I think we have shown Kachunga, Windass, Marriott and Patterson are not going to do the business for us so it wouldn't be like he's keeping anyone better out.

Yeah, stick him up front with Patterson, long balls/thrown ins to a big man, Rhodes might nick a few from that scenario. 

..from interviews he’s given over the years, and letters he’s taken time to write for young fans. Always comes across well.

Do you know any different? Probably not, so I don’t know why you’ve taken exception to my point.

As for his problems on the pitch, we don’t deliver quality from wide areas which he needs - and had wherever he’s done well. At Blackburn he had Conway & Marshall swinging balls in. At Huddersfield Roberts and Pilkington.

What’s he got here? ..no end-product from Harris. Reach gets moved about every fookín week. Penney can’t get in the team. Palmer & Odubajo are very ordinary, and Murphy's gone.