RIP Ray Clemence

5 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Was just thinking - how many times he played against us or if he had any other links with us

When we used to live on Tunwell Greave way back when my Dad's best mate was Ray's best mate and he used to come over to Sheffield lots and lots. I met him and all his family many times and have even got a signed Liverpool testimonial book from him. He was a genuinely nice bloke from what I remember. A true goalkeeping great

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

He did quite a bit for charity too.  I remember when I lived near Skegness and worked in the banking industry, he came and supported a Charity Golf Day we did.  He let people take plenty of photos with him.  South Yorkshire comedian Charlie Williams (of course another former footballer), was there that day too.

RIP 

• Like 2

Wasn’t Joe Corrigan also competing for the England no.1 jersey at the time too?

RIP Ray and thank you for great memories from a time when top flight football was honest, exciting, and a joy to watch with multi-top class players and some very good teams.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

This is really sad news. What a great goalkeeper and top man. What an amazing line up of keepers England had back then. Clemence, Shilton, Corrigan, Parkes, following on from the great Gordon Banks.  Now nearly all the top flight keepers are foreign. 

RIP Ray and condolences to all your family

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Devonstrix said:

This is really sad news. What a great goalkeeper and top man. What an amazing line up of keepers England had back then. Clemence, Shilton, Corrigan, Parkes, following on from the great Gordon Banks.  Now nearly all the top flight keepers are foreign. 

RIP Ray and condolences to all your family

18 minutes ago, damianb1 said:

Corrigan was 3rd choice, now he'd be miles ahead of Pickford as a keeper.

Now we have T-Rex arms.

Really sad to see this. I was lucky and my prostate cancer was caught early. 

I have fond memories of Ray when he was with Liverpool. I worked for a company who sponsored them at the time and was lucky enough to play in Ray's testimonial golf day at Wallasey. One of his partners was Stan Bordman. Stan was a seasoned golfer who had played at least 3 times..We had an entertaining prize giving.!!!

Like  Soldierboyblue we were living on Tunwell Greave when I got the job which moved us to Devon.. Happy days.  Rest in peace Ray. Thanks for the memories.   

• Love 1

First time I saw him was in a Grimsby v Scunthorpe div three game early in 1966-7 season.  Mariners won 7-1 and scored one goal where Clemence threw ball out straight to a Grimsby forward on edge of box.

Only a very young keeper then, but I remember thinking he wasn't 3rd div standard.  Well, I was right, in a way. 

Liverpool signed him close season 1967.  

Think I only saw Ray Clemence play once live.
Must have been 1984 quite soon after Wednesday got promoted when we beat Spurs 2-1.
I don't think he ever played for Liverpool against Wednesday.

He always came across as one of the good guys in football.
Just a quick glance of his stats show he was a Footballing great.
I am sorry to hear of his passing.