Tony Pulis - The positives

Just now, Elvin Parsnip said:

So you can’t name any manger we’ve had that has a better record than him since the 70’s 

It really doesn't matter to me.  Ron Atkinson had a better reputation- won trophies and played football the way I enjoy. Even got us relegated but guess what - it didn't matter because we knew what he was about, what his team was doing or trying to do.  I am sick of drudgery. I'd rather go for it with someone willing to try something different. Like I said - takes all sorts. I see where you're coming from but I aspire to something different. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, rickygoo said:

I get it - and the boredom is worth it. Takes all sorts. 

I’ve been bored since Francis so may as well be bored and win - Carlos bored me to tears second season— just think he could get us up then we can get a football playing manager - we just need to use him like teams use Warnock to get them out of this league 

1 minute ago, Elvin Parsnip said:

I’ve been bored since Francis so may as well be bored and win - Carlos bored me to tears second season— just think he could get us up then we can get a football playing manager - we just need to use him like teams use Warnock to get them out of this league 

Yep that second season was awful which was my point. Winning football and it was a bit of a chore to go to the matches. And there's no guarantee Pulis will get us up. He failed at Middlesboro and their fans genuinely despise him. 

6 minutes ago, SiJ said:

And that is your prerogative to do so. 

Still - you come across as wishing failure before guy has even coming in, whether you mean to or not. 

I'm not wishing failure on him at all. I don't want him, like I didn't want Monk, thought Bruce could be OK and didn't have a clue about the two managers before. His record shows what type of football we can expect and I am sick of being bored. I buy my dad a season ticket so it costs me the best part of a grand each season plus petrol etc not to mention the time it eats up going backwards and forwards. Value for money to me - and I accept it's my view - isn't nicking a goal and enduring 90 minutes of tedium. That's what Pulis has always offered. 

Changing managers is a window of opportunity for a fresh approach, to try something different. Have a go. Instead the best we can hope for is a more successful version of the same old boring crap. That's why I'm not fussed about the Premier League. Success would be letting in as few goals as possible,  finishing somewhere between 11th and 17th and "enjoying" stifling the talented players on the other side. I'm on the side of entertainment now. I understand why that might be scoffed at but hey ho. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

Indeed and what a refreshing delight that was. Leaving Hillsborough with a smile on your face. 

But we don't have them players anymore, this lot couldn't do it.

Besides that even Carlos turned them into safety first boringness 2nd yr, even though finishing 4th..only acceptable cos we finished 4th.

We ain't got time to start from scratch, we cannot change the players we have into a free flowing football side, no chance.

Pulis wouldn't have been my choice tbh, think a punt on Pearson might have been a good bet. Maybe he didn't want it, maybe DC not keen...who knows.

We are where we are, btw i hate the anti football many clubs play now, like most.

But right now, needs must.

Guest LondonOwl313
29 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

I agree with the first statement and disagree with the second. I am sick of tedium. More than I am sick of losing to be honest. 

Tbh I just can’t see Pulis being successful playing for 1-0s here. That’s exactly what Monk has been doing all the time and it hasn’t worked. How many times do we concede late goals.. it’s because of the tactics and the way we don’t try and put teams to bed. We’ll have exactly the same issues with Pulis playing that way

Look at the clubs who thought the grass was greener. Stoke have been on a downward spiral since he left. They had stability and Premiership football before. The wheels started to fall off when they replaced Pulis with Hughes. 

Middlesborough were looking like relegation candidates after replacing him. They had to go back on the strategy they adopted (with Woodgate) and get someone of a similar mould to Pulis in with Warnock.

From experience watching his teams it's never pretty however I don't think right now is the time for us taking a punt on someone inexperienced. Chansiri never gives long contracts so it'll be an end of the season job. If he does well he'll stay and we will be happy (it's results driven at the end of the day) and if he's so/so or poor then he will leave at the end of the season.

We haven't played good football since the first season under Carlos so it's not like we are used to pure entertainment. This feels like the right person at the right time.

Pulis is a good manager and is leagues above Monk in terms of career achievements. We've been at the wrong end of the table for years now. Let's hope this one works out.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, swfcGibbo said:

Look at the clubs who thought the grass was greener. Stoke have been on a downward spiral since he left. They had stability and Premiership football before. The wheels started to fall off when they replaced Pulis with Hughes. 

Middlesborough were looking like relegation candidates after replacing him. They had to go back on the strategy they adopted (with Woodgate) and get someone of a similar mould to Pulis in with Warnock.

From experience watching his teams it's never pretty however I don't think right now is the time for us taking a punt on someone inexperienced. Chansiri never gives long contracts so it'll be an end of the season job. If he does well he'll stay and we will be happy (it's results driven at the end of the day) and if he's so/so or poor then he will leave at the end of the season.

We haven't played good football since the first season under Carlos so it's not like we are used to pure entertainment. This feels like the right person at the right time.

Pulis is a good manager and is leagues above Monk in terms of career achievements. We've been at the wrong end of the table for years now. Let's hope this one works out.

Spot on.