Tony Pulis - The positives

1 hour ago, CF_Owl said:

If it’s a relatively short contract then he’ll be a good appointment. Only one target, keep us up! Now is not the time to try an unknown or inexperienced manager. Pulis will provide a solid base for any future managers. 

But if he keeps us up,(perfectly possible now surely?) he will expect(and likely get) & much longer contract....Any negotiator worth his salt would want that clause in the contract...So likely not short term 'fix' at all

2 hours ago, SiJ said:

That's how I'm trying to view it. 

Delighted that Monk has gone, but massively underwhelmed by  the prospect of baseball cap man taking over. 

In saying that, he will keep us up and he may even get us competing up the right end of the table. It's just we will be eye bleedingly bad to watch whilst doing so. This is a man who once played for a 1-0 loss in the second leg of a play off semi-final...when they were already 1-0 down. 

Long term, I don't see Pulis coming in and laying down any solid foundation. It all screams of a quick, short-term fix. 

Not many managers set foundations for the long term, no point as they don't get long enough to see anything through.

As fans we don't generally look long term. It's all about the last result and next match.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, s29wfc said:

Jesus, Anyone would think we've plucked a manager out of a hat ala Luhukay style and just gone with it. Tony Pulis has managed in over 300 games at premier league level over a 10 year period, Got Stoke to an fa cup final and taken them into a European competition whilst also being nominated twice for manager of the season. What fckuwits we have, have some chuffing respect ffs.

Here, here

Be careful not to speak two much sense

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Brommers said:

Not many managers set foundations for the long term, no point as they don't get long enough to see anything through.

As fans we don't generally look long term. It's all about the last result and next match.

The Dunkley signing is a good example of that. Signed a player for the longer term but sacked before he even plays.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, kendoddsdadsdogsdead said:

In answer to your thread title.....there are none.

If people were unhappy with Monk, then God help them with Pulis at the helm. Turgid, attritional,  uninspiring football. People will need a neck brace watching on TV as the ball will very rarely be on the ground.

If reports are true, this is a a most uninspiring,  short sighted appointment in my opinion. He is not the person to unite the fanbase.

People were unhappy with Monk because he kept losing.

We're a plip-plop side and we need someone to keep us up.

Positives re Toxic Tony

1, He will not be in job long.

2. Normally a split on here between those defending incumbent manager and those that want him sacked. After a month everyone will want him sacked.

3. Very few games will be moved as Sky not keen on his style of football.

4. Anyone not a fan of Bannan will be happy as he will not be playing.

5. Lots fans will have more disposable income as will not be buying merchandise or tickets

6. Wife will be happier as I will not be watching much football.

Not a positive but for those who dislike Chansiri it will add fuel to fire and inevitably create a bigger rift between him and fan base.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Quist said:

Positives re Toxic Tony

1, He will not be in job long.

2. Normally a split on here between those defending incumbent manager and those that want him sacked. After a month everyone will want him sacked.

3. Very few games will be moved as Sky not keen on his style of football.

4. Anyone not a fan of Bannan will be happy as he will not be playing.

5. Lots fans will have more disposable income as will not be buying merchandise or tickets

6. Wife will be happier as I will not be watching much football.

Not a positive but for those who dislike Chansiri it will add fuel to fire and inevitably create a bigger rift between him and fan base.

9. We'll stay up.

Pulis wouldn't be my choice but looking for positives:

He's not Monk

He's very experienced

Should garner some respect from the players

We should see an improvement in set pieces

He'll stop us being so utterly dog poo when we win a throw in

I won't have to watch him on Soccer Saturday anymore 

• Like 1

**** me!

I despair at sections of our fanbase, can't wait to slag and write our manager off before he's even appointed. 

Wouldn't be my choice but he's done enough in the game to warrant some respect and have our support assuming he gets the job.

Just wait for those giving him grief to be out in force when he has some bad results saying how right they were. 

• Like 5

Will someone please tell me - why we keep saying ‘keep us up?’

Were not 12 points adrift. We’re 2.

We’re on the lookout for a new manager to move us up the league with a new system and style of play - after getting rid of an absolutely dreadful manager.

We aren’t in a relegation battle - we don’t need someone to ‘keep us up’. 

• Like 2