Tony Pulis - The positives

12 minutes ago, TodwickOwl said:

Will someone please tell me - why we keep saying ‘keep us up?’

Were not 12 points adrift. We’re 2.

We’re on the lookout for a new manager to move us up the league with a new system and style of play - after getting rid of an absolutely dreadful manager.

We aren’t in a relegation battle - we don’t need someone to ‘keep us up’. 

Of course we're in a relegation battle.

We've got a massively understrength squad which has been shorn of most of its quality from recent seasons, we struggle to keep our best players out of the treatment room, and we've lost to Luton, Rotherham and Wycombe already this season.

Hopefully the new manager can quickly get us motoring up the table, but as things stand, with almost a quarter of the season played, we're most definitely in a relegation battle.

• Like 7

I was slightly uninspired by the Pulis link but his record still holds up well, the fans of other clubs who are critical of him were in a very different situation to what we are in now: 

·      West Brom – He saw them from 16th to 13th in the prem in his first season and finished 10th in his second.

·      Boro - He took them from mid-table to the playoffs in his first season and finished 7th in his second season after being in the top 6 all season. He maintained a 43.75% win rate which is higher than any manager we have had since Megson in League 1. 

My issue with Monk is that his style was very wishy-washy and I am still not sure what kind of football we were aiming to play. Pulis should at least bring a disciplined, simple strategy where players know their roles and understand what is expected of them. 

Also worth noting that after the international break we are playing weekend-midweek-weekend almost all the way up until New Year’s Day (which equates to a game almost every 3 days!) Teams are racking up injuries from the hectic fixture schedule and high press teams seem to be some of the worst hit. As much as I would love to see us play free-flowing, attractive football; now is probably not the best time to implement it. A more efficient/direct style may be the best way to get results and keep us in the league with a view to re-assessing for next season. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, max_7654 said:

I was slightly uninspired by the Pulis link but his record still holds up well, the fans of other clubs who are critical of him were in a very different situation to what we are in now: 

·      West Brom – He saw them from 16th to 13th in the prem in his first season and finished 10th in his second.

·      Boro - He took them from mid-table to the playoffs in his first season and finished 7th in his second season after being in the top 6 all season. He maintained a 43.75% win rate which is higher than any manager we have had since Megson in League 1. 

My issue with Monk is that his style was very wishy-washy and I am still not sure what kind of football we were aiming to play. Pulis should at least bring a disciplined, simple strategy where players know their roles and understand what is expected of them. 

Also worth noting that after the international break we are playing weekend-midweek-weekend almost all the way up until New Year’s Day (which equates to a game almost every 3 days!) Teams are racking up injuries from the hectic fixture schedule and high press teams seem to be some of the worst hit. As much as I would love to see us play free-flowing, attractive football; now is probably not the best time to implement it. A more efficient/direct style may be the best way to get results and keep us in the league with a view to re-assessing for next season. 

At last someone with a brain - who has actually researched things- I mean have we even had a manager who has been as successful in the prem or ever won Premier league manager of the season ! I was as opposed as most until I looked at his record and the players he signed and above all else his win % over his ONE THOUSAND plus games as a manager 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

People were unhappy with Monk because the turgid football was combined with abysmal results.

If Pulis is to be appointed then I imagine it will be attritional football but I imagine he will play square pegs in square holes and based on his track record the results will be far more effective.

He wouldn't be my first choice as I think we need someone who will play more attacking football and raise the spirits of the players and the fans as a result but his record of getting results speaks for itself. 

To be fair his record is good. He is a good organiser and finds ways to win. But the timing is all wrong. We need to enjoy watching our team again after the total train crash of Monkball. Pulis is yesterday’s man. Stuck in the 80’s with Charles Hughes methods. We should’ve taken this opportunity to build for the future. We need a new Dawn, not the same nightmare. 

• Like 2

Just now, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

To be fair his record is good. He is a good organiser and finds ways to win. But the timing is all wrong.

wow just wow............how the feck do you get" the timing all wrong " in having a good record and finding ways to win ...... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, s29wfc said:

Jesus, Anyone would think we've plucked a manager out of a hat ala Luhukay style and just gone with it. Tony Pulis has managed in over 300 games at premier league level over a 10 year period, Got Stoke to an fa cup final and taken them into a European competition whilst also being nominated twice for manager of the season. What fckuwits we have, have some chuffing respect ffs.

I'm one of those who wouldnt have minded him in the past,when we've had a management change and his name was mentioned and if he'd have come in pre season I'd have been all for giving him the job. 

I just think at the moment with the current financial restraints. 

The fact he's going to have to get through till the next window without being able to bring players in and inheritance of a sqaud with which very few players are probably capeble of how he'd want us to play could hamper a revival and results leaving us with a mountain to climb to stay up. 

I just feel at the moment we need someone who Could get this group of players available to be a cohesive team playing in a way to get the best out of them, so for me he isn't ideal in the current situation. 

34 minutes ago, Elvin Parsnip said:

At last someone with a brain - who has actually researched things- I mean have we even had a manager who has been as successful in the prem or ever won Premier league manager of the season ! I was as opposed as most until I looked at his record and the players he signed and above all else his win % over his ONE THOUSAND plus games as a manager 

In which case why pussyfoot around with a contract for a few months?  Give him a few years. He's clearly the Bournemouth Bielsa - well Sandbanks actually but you get my drift. 

Just now, shezzas left peg said:

I just feel at the moment we need someone who Could get this group of players available to be a cohesive team playing in a way to get the best out of them, so for me he isn't ideal in the current situation. 

so who do you think could get this lot  playing as a cohesive team and how would he go about getting the best out of them ?.......

1 minute ago, rickygoo said:

In which case why pussyfoot around with a contract for a few months?  Give him a few years. He's clearly the Bournemouth Bielsa - well Sandbanks actually but you get my drift. 

Because he will probably save us like Warnock has with most teams but is not going to be successful if we go up - even Bielsa is struggling- he’s the best we could hope for in our situation 

• Like 1