Tony Pulis - The positives

7 hours ago, torryowl said:

so who do you think could get this lot  playing as a cohesive team and how would he go about getting the best out of them ?.......

I like the way you cut out the first bit explaining why I think pullis would struggle. 

For me as I said we néed to look at someone who plays simple football on the floor, out of those on the list  probably Lee Johnson, Eddie howe, 

Monk has proven this season that this sqaud is not capable of playing longball football or counter attacking defensive football,so the likes of Pulis and megson would have problems. 

Personally I have a feeling we're going to get some left field European manager against, as Dc did say one of the reasons he got rid of monk is becouse he wants attacking football. 

12 hours ago, wilyfox said:

The positive with managers like Pulis & Warnock is they know what thafook they’re doing. People vote against and throw the old dinosaur tag at them, but they know how to manage. Yet again Warnock has transformed another club from bottom 6 to top 6 contenders. That’s what managers with know-how can do. Get this appointment wrong and we go down. Pulis would be a safe pair of hands. 

Absolutely this.

We are not going to turn into a attractive high scoring team overnight. Surely we would be happier playing this way and winning rather than as we currently are; not playing well and not getting many points.

My only concern is if people on here are right and we are going to play hoofball who are we going to hoof it to, Paterson? Not sure he is the man but we shall see. Perhaps Pulis will recognise this and play a different way.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, SwellOwl said:

Pulis till end of season will hopefully guarantee our safety, have a foundation to build on for someone to come in and push on.

I wasn't confident Monk could keep us up, under Pulis, we have more of a chance.

We're 3 points from safety. We need to make up 2/3 points on Coventry/Wycombe with 35 games to play....are we really that desperate?

What foundation do you expect Pulis to build?...get rid of the footballers, replace with cloggers in the January window, then what will a new manager have to work with?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, striker said:

We're 3 points from safety. We need to make up 2/3 points on Coventry/Wycombe with 35 games to play....are we really that desperate?

What foundation do you expect Pulis to build?...get rid of the footballers, replace with cloggers in the January window, then what will a new manager have to work with?

Who are these footballers you speak of? Monk has assembled a side to play hoof ball. He’s just not very good at it. Didn’t Pulis take over monks strugling boro and get them to the play offs? 

1 hour ago, shezzas left peg said:

I like the way you cut out the first bit explaining why I think pullis would struggle. 

For me as I said we néed to look at someone who plays simple football on the floor, out of those on the list  probably Lee Johnson, Eddie howe, 

Monk has proven this season that this sqaud is not capable of playing longball football or counter attacking defensive football,so the likes of Pulis and megson would have problems. 

Personally I have a feeling we're going to get some left field European manager against, as Dc did say one of the reasons he got rid of monk is becouse he wants attacking football. 

I cannot understand what Lee Johnson has done to warrant any discussion for our manager job. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Plonk said:

Who are these footballers you speak of? Monk has assembled a side to play hoof ball. He’s just not very good at it. Didn’t Pulis take over monks strugling boro and get them to the play offs? 

With a far better calibre of player supported by parachute payments. 

Bannan, Brown are  footballers, we've a team of dwarves up front, how does that square with the Pulis brand of football. 

In any event I thought this change of manager was to move away from hoofball?

I was really against Pulis when I heard is name mentioned but the more I think about it the more it makes sense.

We have a bunch of players who don't appear to be firing as a unit. Time and time again we make the simple stuff look difficult and a lot of our effort looks misdirected.

Hopefully he will get us organised so that teams don't overwhelm us like they have been doing for the last 12 months. We have to stop the rot before we can move forward.

Yeah his football style is more pragmatic than expansive but let's steady the ship and build from there.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SiJ said:

That's how I'm trying to view it. 

Delighted that Monk has gone, but massively underwhelmed by  the prospect of baseball cap man taking over. 

In saying that, he will keep us up and he may even get us competing up the right end of the table. It's just we will be eye bleedingly bad to watch whilst doing so. This is a man who once played for a 1-0 loss in the second leg of a play off semi-final...when they were already 1-0 down. 

Long term, I don't see Pulis coming in and laying down any solid foundation. It all screams of a quick, short-term fix. 

Sadly because of the chairman’s incompetence a short term fix is what we need to stay up this season. And then we need to seriously think about our strategy for the next 2/5/10 years. 

5 minutes ago, owls maniac said:

Sadly because of the chairman’s incompetence a short term fix is what we need to stay up this season. And then we need to seriously think about our strategy for the next 2/5/10 years. 

Short term fix, we are one win from safety with 35 games to play!

I think we have seen the strategy, under his tenure DC has appointned Jos, Monk and now Pulis. The only decent manager was Bruce and by his own account DC didn't want him due to his style!!!!! What does that tell you about the style of football DC thinks fans want to pay to watch?

So much for setting out an aim for attacking football when he first took over. We have regressed as far removed  from that aim with every appointment.

The apparent strategy is to pay Pulis £2m to make up 3 points on Coventry and Wycombe to be replaced in a few months. 

33 minutes ago, striker said:

With a far better calibre of player supported by parachute payments. 

Bannan, Brown are  footballers, we've a team of dwarves up front, how does that square with the Pulis brand of football. 

In any event I thought this change of manager was to move away from hoofball?

I think we all hoped we would be. The one positive about Pulis is that he is better at than monk. Agree about the quality though. We have let so many good players leave. 

40 minutes ago, Spondon Owl said:

I cannot understand what Lee Johnson has done to warrant any discussion for our manager job. 

I wss using him and howe as examples of manager that's on that list that would generally play a style of football suited to the majority of our players, I still have an incling Pulis is just DC's Decoy and well get another Carlos or jos  left field surprise type of appointment. 

Like others I would love a bit of attacking football on the ground and we are not going to get this with Pulis at the helm (unless he changes his footballing philosophy totally which is a possibility I guess). 
But- with the squad we have who on earth could come and get this lot playing attacking attractive football well enough to get enough points to stay up?

Eddie How isn’t going to move here from the south coast. 
Nigel Pearson would be great football wise, but unless he has a personality transplant will fall out with the owner after about six weeks. 

So- how do we get out of the situation we are in?

Will Bruce come back? Do we give in to the cult of Megson? Roll the dice on a European unknown?

or bet on someone who has a track record regardless of how turgid the football might be?

At this stage id just like to see a goal in open play, whoever is in charge!

43 minutes ago, striker said:

Short term fix, we are one win from safety with 35 games to play!

I think we have seen the strategy, under his tenure DC has appointned Jos, Monk and now Pulis. The only decent manager was Bruce and by his own account DC didn't want him due to his style!!!!! What does that tell you about the style of football DC thinks fans want to pay to watch?

So much for setting out an aim for attacking football when he first took over. We have regressed as far removed  from that aim with every appointment.

The apparent strategy is to pay Pulis £2m to make up 3 points on Coventry and Wycombe to be replaced in a few months. 

It just shows how much DC knows about football right there. 

He says he wants attacking football, but apart from season 1 Carlos, every manager he's signed since has been known by all as defensive. 

Karanka isn't available is he?? He plays wonderful fluid attacking football lol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, shezzas left peg said:

I’m not disagreeing but why do you think Chansiri needs a decoy manager who he isn’t going to appoint? Would he waste that much of his own time interviewing people if he had no intention at all of appointing them?

2 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

Like others I would love a bit of attacking football on the ground and we are not going to get this with Pulis at the helm (unless he changes his footballing philosophy totally which is a possibility I guess). 
But- with the squad we have who on earth could come and get this lot playing attacking attractive football well enough to get enough points to stay up?

Eddie How isn’t going to move here from the south coast. 
Nigel Pearson would be great football wise, but unless he has a personality transplant will fall out with the owner after about six weeks. 

So- how do we get out of the situation we are in?

Will Bruce come back? Do we give in to the cult of Megson? Roll the dice on a European unknown?

or bet on someone who has a track record regardless of how turgid the football might be?

At this stage id just like to see a goal in open play, whoever is in charge!

Setting the bar that low is about the Pulis level. 

Come on guys don't give up, were better then that, we're better then accepting Pulis, a manager nobody really wants. 

1 hour ago, Plonk said:

He took them from 9th to 5th  - not particularly struggling - and then failed to get in the play offs the following year, playing dismal football along the way.